Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Need advice on a soup pot

hi,
I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know what a reasonable price is for a soup pot, or what constitutes a good soup pot.
I just bought this:
T-Fal Easy care, 8 quart stock pot. ($30.)
I haven't opened it up and would like to ask for advice before I decide to keep it.

Is anyone familiar with this? Is it adequate?
If not, any advice on a reasonably-priced soup pot?
I want a decent pot, but I don't need the best in the world.
I am on fixed income, so cannot be too extravagant.
But would like to get the best I can afford.

Thank you for your input.

Comments (3)

• anoriginal
    9 years ago

If I were looking for a "soup pot" (already have one) and on a "fixed income" (that's me)... would first shop at a thrift store! Don't think you'd have much problem finding a decent, large, multi=purpose pot for less than FIVE $ at Good Will or other 2nd hand shop. If you have something large enough to cook a pound of pasta in, ya probably don't even need a pot just for soup?!?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Is it for stock or soup? Do you want non-stick? I am not familiar with that particular pot. It's a good shape for stock but for soup, many people prefer a lower, wider pot (or use a multipurpose dutch oven). As you can see in some of the earlier threads, people generally advise that you can save money on a stock pot and spend it elsewhere, where the performance and quality will make a bigger difference. However, besides thrift shops, a discount store like Home Goods or a restaurant supply store could be good choice if you do want a new pan.

• sandy808
    9 years ago

The pot you bought sounds like it would work just fine. The main thing to ask yourself is do you like it? Does the shape, weight of it, and looks of it inspire you to cook often with it?

You may find a good deal at a thrift store, but check the pot over carefully to be sure it isn't warped, or that the pot wasn't used for something nasty. Some people get very lucky and find a pristine pot at a thrift store, but unfortunately that has not happened for me.

Gooster has a good point....if you shop around you can usually find a good deal, and don't forget to check online merchants as well. Take a look at all the various materials pots and kettles are available in. Think about what you like to cook and eat.

Buy the best pot that you can afford, since this can be thought of as an investment in healthy cooking. In the long haul a good quality pot will generally be less expensive since it will not need to be replaced in a few years.

You may want to consider a Dutch oven shape since you would be able to make stocks, soups, chili, and also slow braise meats and one pot meals in your oven with it.

You may want non-stick, and that is fine if that's what you want. Personally, I would want a stainless interior rather than non stick.