Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
black_thumb

The best ever lettuce crisper that wasn't

black-thumb
16 years ago

Ok after years of purchasing various lettuce crispers that never really worked well for extended periods of time I have FINALLY found something that keeps not just lettuce but other veggies crisp for weeks. I had a head of lettuce in the fridge for a month and it still had that crisp sound when breaking off pieces and had no brown spots and there was no icky brown liquid in the bottom. I have since tried the bag salads, you know the ones premaid that never last long enough for you to eat it all. Salad still crisp and going strong too.

What is this great wonder that only cost me $8.99. The large Breyers ice cream tub! Yup I got the big daddy for a party at BJ'S and when the icecream was done I put the whole had of lettuce in it. I figured it couldn't be any worse than all the other lettuce crispers I've used and it was large enought to hold the whole thing.

Imagine my surprise when I kept finding it just as crisp and fresh everytime I went to open it. I had that head of lettuce for a month. It was smaller as I was eating it along the way but still fresh not brown and yucky, no disgusting brown slimy stuff in the bottom and crisp as ever!

I love it when you find miracle cures for stuff by accident!

Comments (6)

• socks
    16 years ago

I remember having one, it might have been Tupperware, so maybe the trick is to keep it sealed up in a plastic container. That's a great find, because lettuce goes just too fast!

Thanks for giving me an excuse to go out and get a whole tub of Breyers!

• pkguy
    16 years ago

I had the Tupperware one as well decades ago, don't know where it went but it worked. Lost in a move I guess. I seem to remember though that the Tupperware had a spike in the center of the bowl for impaling the lettuce on, why I don't know.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

I use a zip lock bag with one or two paper towels in it, sealed tight. Works well for me. But some heads of lettuce, especially iceberg, just seem to go off faster than others, no matter what you do.

I know that sometimes they are transported on trucks that also carry frozen products, and may have gotten too cold, which breaks down cells walls and leads to fast rotting.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've never had one work this well and for so long before. Even on the regular head of iceberg lettuce. I had it for a month and it was still fresh and crispy all the way to the center.

I once had one that had a circle of little plastic flat vertical spikes that was suppose to keep the lettuce from sitting on the bottom. Still didn't work. I always ended up with brown mushy stuff on the bottom anyway after a while.

So far it has worked on whatever I've put inside. Its a happy little find. :)

• tlkp05_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Was the ice cream carton plastic or cardboard? Here in California they are all cardboard, doesn't seem like the would stand up to a month in the refrigerator.

• suadeblue
    8 years ago

The way that I keep Iceberg Lettuce fresh in the fridge for 4-6 weeks is by rinsing it well in cold water and putting it in a deep bowl with a 1/2 inch of cold water. Wrap the food grade cello it came in around the lettuce and bowl. This allows the lettuce to breath somewhat. I take the OUTER LEAVES (only) off as I need them. DO NOT CUT THE LETTUCE IN HALF OR IN QUARTERS because you just exposed all the leaves to air. This is similar to gardening when you grow lettuce or spinach--use the OUTER leaves first and move inward. Also, take the head out once a week or two weeks and remove any small wilted pieces of lettuce (if any). On the head's core, remove any brownish material lightly with a bread knife. Then, rinse your head, cello wrap, and bowl with clean, cold water. Sit your lettuce head back into the bowl with an 1/2 inch of cold water, cover with the cello, and put back in the fridge. This will keep your little head of Lettuce going for you as you eat the OUTER leaves. REMEMBER: pull the leaves off all the way down to the CORE. Your lettuce will serve you well for 4-6 weeks. Happy Eating!