Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitownfifi_gw

Good Cutting Board

chitownfifi
19 years ago

I am looking for some new cutting boards. I currently have a Wusthof carving board that warped within the first week I had it...I sent it back and they sent me a new one. It also warped within week. By this point, I was so disgusted and annoyed with taking this huge baord to UPS I just kept it. Now I have been left to cut on what's basically a half-moon-shaped rocking board...I even tried sitting on it to get it to flatten out!

Has anyone tried bamboo? I do not like glass boards and would like something that will not dull my Wusthof knives.

Any suggestions??

Comments (32)

• compumom
    19 years ago

What about those thick nylon/plastic cutting boards. Personally, I'm not crazy for wood, but need something like this plastic so it doesn't dull the knives. If they are small enough you can put them in the dishwasher too!

• mes444
    19 years ago

I have one of those plastic cutting boards and like it very much for veggies and that type of thing. I still use a wooden board with the moat around the edge to catch juices when cutting meat, I also don't like mixing meat and veggie stuff. There are very good wood boards, usually butcher block hold their shape. I've had mine for 20 years and it's still flat. Try a search at Amazon and see how some are rated.

• lindac
    19 years ago

For chopping veggies for the pot, I like those flexible plastic things that you can fold and dump......for meat I like plastic that will go into the dishwasher....but very often use wooden boards....just a piece of 1 by 12 pine board.....goes into the dishwasher....doesn't dull my blades and I LIKE it...but never for meat!
    Linda C

• User
    19 years ago

J.K. Adams makes some nice boards. I like their looks, though they can be pricy. You might try a craft show, there's usually a craftsman or two who make cutting boards. You can get some beautiful ones, and some exotic ones. I use wood for everything - it's bactericidal, so a good cleaning is all it needs, even with meat.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting boards

• deanb
    19 years ago

End grain boards are easier on your knives than boards cut with the grain. Bamboo is quite a bit harder than maple so I recommend an end grain maple board that is at least 2" thick so it won't warp.

• sween
    19 years ago

This brings up a question nagging me for a long, long time; why is it okay to use wood for cutting meat? If you clean wood enough to eliminate contamination, you've probably driven whatever cleaning agent you used into the wood, where it has the potential for imparting a lovely flavor to whatever else you use the board for in the future. Maybe someone can explain this to me, because I've really never understood it. One TV chef I used to watch claimed a good scrub with salt was all a wooden board needed to decontaminate it. Any thoughts? Thanks...

• ann_t
    19 years ago

I have a number of

all made by the same gentleman. I use the handled one for cutting breads, the meat carving board specifically for that, and the large one more as a serving platter rather than to cut on. I recently through out 6 large white cutting boards and replaced them with the Furi cutting board system. I bought a couple of the Furi knives and the Diamond Finger sharpener as well.

Ann

• User
    19 years ago

Here's a summary, the data has been published.

The focus of the research was to find compounds to use on wood to make it a less favorable environment for bacteria. Researchers put live bacteria on wooden and plastic cutting boards. These included Salmonella, Listeria, and enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli, all of which can cause food poisoning. They then examined the cutting boards after three minutes. They also examined boards that sat overnight, one at room temperature, two in the refrigerator, and three at high humidity. They tested four types of plastic cutting boards and seven types of wooden ones. The results were totally unexpected. They found that after only three minutes, 99.9 percent of the bacteria on wood cutting boards had died, while all the bacteria on plastic cutting boards survived. The overnight boards yielded even more interesting results. The numbers of bacteria on the plastic boards increased, while there were no bacteria at all on the wooden boards 24 hours later.

Their conclusion was that in some unknown way, wooden cutting boards are safer than plastic because bacteria dies much faster on wood. The researchers did recommend that people should continue to wash and rinse both wood and plastic cutting boards in hot water after each use

Once a cutting board dries, bacteria dies, no matter what the material is.

• deanb
    19 years ago

I believe it was the same study (I could be wrong, it may have been another study) that showed oil inhibits the antibacterial property of wood because it impedes contact of the bacteria with the wood. If you get a good thick end grain board you really don't need to oil treat anyway and while oil does enhance the appearance I think the added hygenic benefits are worth the tradeoff. I just give mine a quick sanding periodically. I've been using a poly board for cutting meats and then putting it in the dishwasher. The Fuji cutting board system looks interesting though.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

Chitownfifi, you can unwarp your board by washing both sides thouroughly and placing something heavy on it to dry. Mine warps when I only wash one side really well.

• yorkiemom_chicago
    19 years ago

I have a John Boors cutting board that is at least 1" thick. No problems with warping. I wonder if you are letting the board sit in water. My mom had thinner cutting boards, but I do not recall that they warped.

• chitownfifi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks bunblebeez! I am going to try that and see if it "unwarps"...I really like it, so I hope it works.

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

I would never use a wooden cutting board for meat, just don't want to take the chance. But I do use mine for veggies. Acrylic only for meat. And it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money. Acrylic is just acrylic. I once bought a set of tempered glass cutting boards - thought they would be so cool. What a waste of money. They truly dull your knives quickly.

• lindac
    19 years ago

Wood warps when one side dries out and the other stays hydrated. Put water in the concave side of the board ( or turn it concave side down over a damp towel) and let it sit until it un warps.......then dump out the water and let it dry uniformly.
    It will warp again....but now you know how to un-warp it.
    Linda C

• homepro01
    19 years ago

I have a John Boos board. It is seven years old now and it looks brand new. I use the salt method to remove smells but I don't oil it very much. I like mine because it has little legs that keep it off the counter.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: I have the B12s (Square one)

• sween
    19 years ago

Not to doubt anyone, but logic would suggest bacteria thriving on wood, and not just the opposite, right? Being organic, wood, or so I'd think, would sustain a living organism, not destroy it. Plastic, OTOH, has nothing whatsoever to support a living organism. Sorry, but now I REALLY don't get it. Thoughts?

• nwesterner
    19 years ago

I have some very inexpensive 3/4" thick wooden cutting boards that have not warped. I didn't want heavy, thick ones. Do use some colored coordinated plastic boards at times, frequently for raw meat/poultry and also a small one that I use with garlic and onion. They are also easy to pick up and transfer to pot or pan. Have an older pullout cutting board that was the only one I used for many, many years. It has warped some in the last 20 years, but mainly because it was made by one of my kids in shop from scrap wood pieces! I usually just washed them down good since I didn't even have a DW till recently.

Ann,

About the Furi knives. I posted a question here a few months back about them but no response then. I have Globals but decided this summer to purchase a couple Furi's. How do you like them and what have you used before? I got the east/west knife and the 8" chef. Do you happen to have the carving knife? They are different from the globals and I seem to find myself using them the most recently. Just curious as to your impression.

• deanb
    19 years ago

Many plants are antibacterial, penicillin mold for example. I believe the study quoted above didn't actually identify the component of wood responsible for it's antibacterial property. I'm not a microbiologist but it might be tannic acid or some other component of wood but the studies clearly show that wood does indeed have a very effective antibacterial property. Eventually bacteria will die without nourishment so if you leave them on a poly board long enough they will die, but the studies show they can survive for days on a poly board. Without nourishment they may not multiply but they can survive for some time.

• joann23456
    19 years ago

I remember that study - it also pointed out that once you use a poly board a few times, it gets cuts in the surface. These cuts harbor bacteria. So, the study concluded, if you're going to use poly boards, you should change them often.

It did say that wood was best for all foods, and did not harbor bacteria.

I use an 18" round end grain maple cutting board. It's about 2" thick, and sits on little legs. I found it at Marshall's for $25, which was great, as I'd seen similar boards for over $100.

• fatlester
    19 years ago

I just love my Crate & Barrel jelli boards for cutting. These are the new colors -- the old ones are $2 less if you keep going through the section. I picked up the silver ones that match my countertops. They have nice, soft little non-scratching feet on them so they can be picked up easily. Cheap, no problem for knives, not smelly, they go in the dw.

I also love the flexible cutting mats . I put these down and then slide everything off them right into the garbage. Less cleanup. A damp paper towel keeps them in place. Again, cheap, no problem for knives. Not smelly. They go in the DW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting boards/mats

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Sorry NWesterner, just realized I hadn't answered your question about the Furi Knives. I like them. I was a little concerned initially since they are a lighter weighted knife than my Wusthofs and Henkels and the Cutcos, but they are well balanced and the handles feel good in the hand. Who ever said a knife had to be heavy? Not that I need another knife, but I think I'll buy a Furi Paring knife next time I go out to the Gourmet Warehouse. I bought a new knife block this week which I'm really pleased with and I still have room for a few more knives.

Ann

• nwesterner
    19 years ago

Ann,

Yes, the Furi's are lighter but as you say well balanced. I got my Global's because of my small hands now becoming arthritic unfortunately, and they aren't too heavy. But do like how the Furi's work and feel for me.

I checked out your knife block and it is really interesting. But I couldn't find anyway on the website to find measurements, cost or how to order or where to buy. Is that possible on that website? Guess I could Google it and see what I find. Am still thinking of buying the Furi carving knife.

• ann_t
    19 years ago

NWesterner, I paid $149.00 Canadian in a store in Vancouver. Just doing a quick google search found prices online anywhere from $85.00 to $165.00 US. This website has it for $85.00. The upright model is slightly lower in price.

Ann

• nwesterner
    19 years ago

Ann,

Thank you for doing my research for me:) I think you mentioned you bought the angled model. I was thinking of the straight design but it will go under my cabs and they are at max 16" counter to bottom. With the larger knives and handles, do you think I would have a problem getting them out without tipping or sliding out the block from under the cabs? I was thinking the straight model might sit back farther on the counter and out of the way---which is one of the reasons I haven't liked knife blocks.

Currently I am using the individual plastic snap protectors that I picked up at Sur la Table for my good knives. They work fine but are hard to fit in my utensil pots that I have them in currently. Prior to the remodel I had them in a drawer.

• ann_t
    19 years ago

I think that the angled block would work better for you. I'm thinking that with the straight block you would have to pull it out in order to slide a knive into the slots. Not so with the angled one. I have 17 inches under the counters. The angled block is 11 inches at the highest point and my longest knives are only 15 1/2 inches. So they sit just under 16 inches when in the block. And because of the angle I think that you would be able to leave the block pushed to the back of the counter under the cupboard and still access the knives without having to move the block.

Ann

• nwesterner
    19 years ago

Thanks, Ann, for all the help:)

• sameyeamorganic
    19 years ago

Yes I have several bamboo cutting boards. They are very durable and bamboo is harder than wood. They are also beautiful. Not only that, they are great for the environment, because bamboo grows so fast that it replenishes quickly unlike trees.

Check out the picture at http://www.organicauthority.com/food/llk_tips_article_6.html.
    They don't sell cutting boards, I thought the picture would help you see them. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.organicauthority.com/food/llk_tips_article_6.html.

• deanb
    19 years ago

"Yes I have several bamboo cutting boards. They are very durable and bamboo is harder than wood. They are also beautiful."

All true, but since banboo is harder than maple (or other hardwoods) it's also harder on a knife edge.

• barbb
    19 years ago

I just got a Joyce Chen solid polyethylene cutting board called "Spot 'N Chop Color Disc System". There's a red circle in the corner on one side and a green circle on the other to designate one side for meat and poultry while the other can be for everything else. So far I love it. I got the largest one they make which is a "pastry board". It's 16" X 20". I knew I didn't want wood, looked at the stone ones (too heavy), and finally settled on this one. You can find them quite a few places on line. I just did a "Google" and found it at "Epinions"

• sameyeamorganic
    19 years ago

I am posting again. I tried the link and it didn't work. But when I went to the website without the link it did. So I copied and pasted it again. Yes I have several bamboo cutting boards. They are very durable and bamboo is harder than wood. They are also beautiful. Not only that, they are great for the environment, because bamboo grows so fast that it replenishes quickly unlike trees.

Check out the picture at http://www.organicauthority.com/food/llk_tips_article_6.html
    They don't sell cutting boards, I thought the picture would help you see them. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.organicauthority.com/food/llk_tips_article_6.html

• kiki_1983
    14 years ago

These are AWESOME cutting boards. They come in lots of designs and you can even get them personalized (hello? great gift idea!!!). Check them out!! www.greatcuttingboards.com

Here is a link that might be useful: GreatCuttingBoards.com

• Joe Blowe
    14 years ago

Hi kiki_1983,

Thanks for posting. Since you are advertising on our message board, it's only fair we know a bit more about you:

domain: greatcuttingboards.com
    created: 27-Oct-2006
    registration-expiration: 27-Oct-2009
    registrant: Terri (Fuller) Baird
    903 W. Broadway
    Fairfield, IA 52556
    641-472-5481

Also does business at:
    6978 Madison Ave.
    Ottumwa, IA 52501
    641-684-7007

Now here's the fun part: The State of Iowa is one of those states that likes to OPENLY publish information about their residents. You know, like, hello? Home addresses! Follow the link below to see their house! (Don't worry -- it's all public information. Something that Terri should've thought about before posting.)

Jefferson County Assessor
    Ronald and Terri Baird
    2554 Queenscup Ave.
    Fairfield, IA 52556
    641-472-9820

I could go further, but that's enough for now...