Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlecount

Has your improved hardware made you a better cook?

jlecount
13 years ago

So I'm in the throes of BlueStar lust and need to know if I'm just indulging in a bit of gear fetishism or really likely to improve my ability to produce good food.

So tell your story -- After you started down this path, researched ranges, hoods (associated kitchen remodels...), open burners, closed burners, electric vs. propane...then made the purchase, then lived with your new gear, has it improved your ability (or time required) to produce great food?

..and on that note...High heat: how does it help you? Let's say you've now got your 17k (or 22k!) burner, upgraded from whatever you had before -- how is it translating to a better plate of food?

I'm wondering about all this just to keep myself in check...I *love* to cook and love great tools...But $7k or so of anticipated cost tends to inspire some amount of reality check you know?

What do y'all think?

thanks,

Jas.

Comments (3)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Reality checks are good.

No doubt the 30" Bosch oven has made me not only a better cook, but one that wants to cook more. The reliability of results is impressive. Definitely worth it. Replaced a 27" GE that produced unevenly browned everything.

The closed burner Kitchenaid gas cooktop is getting replaced with induction after just three years. It will not simmer and takes forever to boil water. I'm using a portable induction and love it. Induction is the best way to boil water for sure and just about anything else. The Bosch perfectly charred Poblanos last night so the last reason to keep the gas cooktop is gone.

Had propane in the last house and would take induction over it any time even though I always thought I preferred gas cooking.

• jlecount
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Induction fascinates me, I gotta admit, though there's somewhat a romance factor to cooking with gas. Still safety can't be beat, nor can the BTU factor...I should give it some thought. I understand it's pretty pricey relative to gas, right?

So sounds like people are pretty much agreeing that their ranges do help them produce better / more consistent food.

One thing I wrestle with: like many, I think a burner that produces 22k BTUs is pretty cool, but honestly, seems limited to stir-fry and saving time to boil water...Am I missing the mark? People also say recovery time when you saute or boil pasta, but not having cooked with a range that recovers quickly, I don't know what I'm missing. Is it really a big deal? Other factors?

thanks, great thoughts here.

Jas.

• dees_1
    13 years ago

Let's see.....I had a regular run of the mill Kenmore gas stove and did a bunch of research for my "dream" kitchen remodel. The oven floor of the Kenmore rusted out (darned the bad luck) so I had to replace it. I got a DCS 30" all gas model with five burners (all simmer, all 15,000 BTU but the center burner is 17,500 BTU - they don't make this configuration any more). Since then, I find I'm cooking more and am able to produce a better quality of food because my pans get hotter quicker. The recovery is quicker; not just for pasta but anything where you add to the pot/pan. So....yes.....the improved hardware makes me a better cook.

I also have a portable induction (1800 watt) and find it's not as "fast" as my gas burners. It has it's advantages and I find the heat to be best suited to my pressure cooker.

Your mileage may vary.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES