Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
burned stone ware

Posted by eugenem (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 06 at 0:32

We keep our pizza stone and several stoneware pots in the oven for storage. Unfortunatly we forgot to take them out and started the cleaning process and they caught fire! Can these items still be used? Is there anyway to get the black residue from the pan? Without having tried them it seems like they would add a bad taste to food at the least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: burned stone ware

If the stoneware pots are glazed you could try barkeepers friend, it is pretty good about getting things out. It is possible that the glaze is damaged and will not be usable.

For the pizza stone I think I would try scrubbing it with a bristle brush and hot water.

o

Pizza stones turn black sooner or later anyway. I think that the stoneware will work just fine despite the discoloration and I doubt that you'll notice any change in taste.

o

Look at it this way....you have now burned all the old grease off....
I did that....but my stone broke. LOL ! I had left an extra potato in the oven, on the stone and after dinner I thought, why not use the heat and start the cleaning process....so I did!...LOL!
Smoke???? Oh My Gosh!!! And things were fine until I took the stone out and it broke in half!
Discoloration won't hurt a thing!...It's clean!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here