Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing cooked vegetables

Posted by donnar57 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 23:21

I just made a big pot of green beans, using a method I've done in the past. Basically:

6 cans green beans, drained
1 ham hock (with meat still clinging to it)
1/2 onion, chopped (or some onion powder)
1 can water

Place all in slow cooker, cook for 8 hours.

But now that we are empty-nest'ers, I'm just not sure how to store the uneaten green beans. In the past few months, we've been tired of green beans before they are all eaten up.

Can I freeze these successfully?

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing cooked vegetables

If they were previously canned and then cooked for 8 hours, I am sure there is not much texture left to soften by freezing. Go ahead and freeze what's left, I don't think you will notice much difference. and it seems better than throwing them away.
Linda c

o

I agree, they freeze just fine.
I often cook a meal and freeze the leftovers for lunches.

Deanna

o

I confess - I like my green beans cooked for a long time too. I usually add cooked and drained bacon instead of ham though. They're good either way. I also usually add a can of Bush's "Pinto Beans With Bacon" (not rinsed) after draining most of the water from the green beans and they freeze ok. My family loves green beans fixed that way. The thicker sauce on the pintos makes them more filling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here