Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boozy fruitcake?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 23:03

I have a boozy fruitcake recipe that works well--it's the sort of thing where you soak the fruit in rum/brandy/something proofy for a while before baking and then add more booze periodically until you eat it. Standard stuff I think.

But!

I would like to make it in little loaves to pass around this Christmas (I know it's late already) and I'm not sure how to deal with the feeding (watering?) of the cake. I have little waxy paper loaf pans and little ceramic loaf pans and I'd like to give the cakes in these pans. I guess the ceramic ones aren't bad--just add rum and cover? But will the paper loaf pans work? Will they just get soggy? Do I need to remove the paper pans? Can I deliver these cakes sort of dry and just suggest adding booze if needed? I've found it to be pretty good with just the initial drizzle and if I don't need to "age" it, I can put off baking it even longer.

Do I absolutely have to do the cheesecloth thing to be proper?

What do you do? Or are you too smart to give away fruitcake? :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boozy fruitcake?

Why not make individual christmas cakes? Top them up with your booze, then cover with jam, marzipan then icing

o

I don't think Americans do the iced Christmas cake thing, Islay.
Fori, I'd go with drizzling the cake daily just a bit. That way the cake will absorb the rum/brandy and it won't even touch the sides of the pan :-)

o

Unfortunately we don't to do the iced Christmas cake here. It sounds really good. And probably would do wonders for fruitcake's bad reputation. :)

I will try the daily gentle drizzle. I guess if the paper tins get soggy I can peel them off and put the cake in a new one for presenting--I have a stack of those.

And if they all turn out bad, maybe a giant fruitcake trifle for Christmas dinner!

Thanks!

o

"And probably would do wonders for fruitcake's bad reputation" No it wouldn't. The marzipan is nice but the icing is vile. I don't know anyone who doesn't pick it off and discard it.

o

Knock them outof the paper pans, wrap them with foil, annoint them with booze now and then. Pop them back into new paper pans for wrapping.

o

I can't help but think of Col. Potter. "Fig Newtons and Scotch. They're great when you dunk 'em!"

o

When I read the title of the post, my first thought was "Yup, I work with a few".

o

Col. Potter was a culinary genius!

o

Colleen, I love icing. That lovely lemony tang!

o

I don't care much for regular fruitcake, but once-upon-a-time I had a boozy variety that contained only cake batter, pecans and whole candied cherries that had been soaked in bourbon. When you chomped down on a cherry, you got a little "shot" so to speak! I've never forgotten that cake.

Teresa

o

Get a pukka syringe from your local vet, dentist, or doctors office, and use that to syringe the booze into the cake. Shove the syringe in fairly deep, and withdraw it slowly as you depress the handle.

The booze will distribute evenly through the cake, leaving no soggy patches.

I have discovered that one can get a LOT more booze into one's fruitcakes using this method. :)

o

Teresa_nc7, I make a cake like that every year.

I would be glad to share the recipe if you,
or anyone else,
is interested.

It's a bit too late to make it this year, though.
It really needs to 'age' at least 6 weeks.

Rusty

o

The squirty fruit are the best part! Unfortunately my dad LOVES the icky plastic fruit so I have to substitute a tub of that for some real fruit but it's still pretty good--soak them long enough in molasses and liquor and they are inoffensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here