SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Richard Olney "French Menu" cookbook on sale

jakkom
9 years ago

The great Richard Olney was an influential food writer and cookbook author much beloved in the '60's and '70's. It's funny how we yearn for/design these humongous, elaborate kitchens, with enough gadgets and appliances to set up a laboratory.

I believe it was Alice Waters who wrote an article for Gourmet magazine about visiting Olney, who had retired to rural France. He had a battered old 24" stove, and a few equally worn-around-the-edges cooking pots. He cooked her lunch, and she called it the simplest and best meal she'd ever had: greens from his garden in the salad, eggs from his chickens, bread from the local baker delivered every day.

His "The French Menu" cookbook was reissued in paperback but is now on sale through Daedalus Books, a remainders store I often buy from. When I saw it in the catalog I rushed over to my computer and bought a copy, just for old times' sake. It's dirt cheap, and will be fun to read through once again.

Few people remember Olney, but he was a huge influence to many professionals and budding gourmets like myself.

I'll post a link, in case anyone else is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard Olney/French Menu cookbook (ppk)

Comments (3)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Thank you, jkom. I just ordered three copies, one for me and two for gifts.

• agmss15
    9 years ago

Thank you. Good to remember really good food can be made with simple tools.

• User
    9 years ago

For those of us who don't buy "actual" books any more, Amazon shows it available as a Kindle ebook.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH