SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

50 20 yr olds for New Years. Food ideas?

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

My son and his friends are planning on getting together to ring in the new year. There will be about 50 of them and everyone will bring something whether it's the paper plates, napkins, silverware, or soda, bottled water or food.

Believe it or not, NONE of them drink alchohol. DS has asked for Martinelli's bubbly apple cider instead of Champagne.

So what to feed them? I need two or three dishes, preferably super easy, nothing sweet.

I'm thinking Spinach artichoke chip with pita chips, pigs in a blanket and I need something else.

I'm open to changing my choices too.

Comments (36)

• lindac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wings!!
    Raspberry Wings
    1-1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
    1/3 c balsamic vinegar
    3 T soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 pkg (5 lb) frozen chicken wings, thawed
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, except the wings, over medium heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, toss
    the wings with half of the jam mixture. Place on the baking sheets and
    bake for 50 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with the remaining jam
    mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the
    chicken and the sauce glazes the wings. Serve immediately.
    NOTE: If you substitute boneless, skinless chicken tenders for the wings, just reduce the baking time to about 15 minutes. And, for a change, you might even want to try this with apricot jam instead of raspberry.
    Serves: 4 to 6

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Wings, wings and more wings.

Set up a make your own taco area.

Sliders....I don't have the recipe but someone here does I'm sure. You buy those little square Pepperidge Farm dinner rolls, split and if I remember correctly, roll out seasoned ground beef on a cookie sheet with a rim, bake and cut into little squares to fit the rolls.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Anybody still got there orginal first new saw thats 20 years old?

Q

Comments (8)
    Homolite super wiz 66 and XL12 I don't use them any more nothing wrong with both saws there in dry storage drain all fluid out put away fire wood saws. I purchase 038 stilh in 1986 have never saw saw out cut it has 18 inch bar but do keep scary sharpe. I still think new shape 2 bars 8 chains one gas tank new fuelline in 1999 in 2000 I cut very large oaks was 42 cords in 2 trees and limbs one 57 at stump one 53 at stump felling only time use dogs help with cut I'm butt about my saw use only my mix gas my saws the 038 never had to clean carburator I take parts brush and clean around caps before take them off the brush round one.
    ...See More

Efficiency of 20 Yr. Old Heating Unit?

Q

Comments (2)
    I just replaced my 20 year old Rheem furnace, which according to the research I did, was considered to be about 60 - 70% efficient (now, not 20 years ago). Being that you have 3 quotes, the largest being 1 1/2 times as large as the smallest, you definitely need to have a heat calc done. Even if you had only one estimate, you need it as most furnaces installed 20 years ago were oversized. You can do it yourself (search for HVAC Calc). Will cost you $50 (money well spent). You can try it out to see if you can handle it. v
    ...See More

20 yr old crf cat doing very well on chinese herbs and azodyl

Q

Comments (9)
    Irina, My cat 15y/o has kidney disease and I am treating her with "Kidney Support Gold" and "Old Friend" for over a year, which can be found at: http://www.petwellbeing.com/c/cat-products/condition/kidney--renal Try also the pro-biotics, they are quite helpful. The second type of supplements I am also using is "Feline Renal Support" from Standard Process. Ask any holistic veterinarian to help you purchase it as it's only sold through veterinarians. It can also be found from Dr. Gardner, just ask the company in the link below. For food, the best I could find is a low-protein raw using a special premix which is easy to prepare, you can find it at: http://felineinstincts.com/feline-instincts-crf-my-natural-kidney-support-diet/ Contact them to help you with the recipe, because it's easy to make but is not always very clear from the instructions. This is very good food and recommend it. They also sell a pouch of Chicken liver powder to sprinkle on the raw food to help the kitty eat, and another supplement called "Rena G.O", which I am trying now. And last but not least, if your kitty is feeling unwell, give her sub-Qs fluid asap. It will help to stabilize her. All the best to you and your kitty.
    ...See More

New Ideas (from 50 years ago?)

Q

Comments (16)
    Our house, MCM built in the mid 70's, had the in wall toaster which had stopped working by the time we moved in in the mid 80's. It also had a NuTone which still worked but after I had used it a couple of times, it broke and we couldn't find any parts to repair it. But since we already had a KA mixer and a blender, we didn't try that hard. The whole cabinet below it was dedicated to space for its motor to hang down and its accessories. The house also had a Thermador wall double wall oven where the top oven was suppose to also be able to microwave (the original speed oven?). The microwave function didn't work when we moved in but we had it repaired. It only worked a few times and then broke again. On a visit to my sister, I realized she had the same oven - it turns out that the microwave in hers also broke shortly after they got it, they had it repaired and it broke again. So for the next 20 years until we remodeled, we just used it as a regular oven. The timer/clock module on the thing was also replaced a couple of times and broke again shortly before our remodel and self-clean required it to work. I wonder how the baskets and loading worked on that full height drawer dishwasher. In the picture it looks like it is paneled to match the cabinets - a pretty modern touch too. Our chest freezer is more than 30 years old. Now that's an appliance with staying power. It isn't self defrosting but being a chest design, it doesn't accumulate frost very quickly (there is less air interchange when a chest freezer is opened). Once a year or so we take the baskets and the food in the bottom out, wrap them in a sleeping bag and pull up a button that turns on heat coils in the walls. The ice lifts out in big chunks so defrosting is pretty fast and easy. Then the food goes back in. Simple, effective and no self-defrost means little or no freezer burn.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    13 years ago

Wow, I don't know, but you'd better make lots of it!

I agree that wings would be good, or pizza/stromboli/calzone kind of stuff, you could make it with different toppings/fillings and make everyone happy that way.

Have fun!

Annie

• westsider40
    13 years ago

wow. l2c46, we are neighbors. Anyway, I have a 20 year old and her friends all scarf up the deluxe, not the regular, pre-cooked beef meatballs from GFS on Rand Rd, a tad north of Dundee. Maybe ten bucks for a 3or 4# bag. Warm them with the grape jelly+chili sauce recipe and they will be devoured. Have fun.

• cynic
    13 years ago

(sigh) I had a bunch of ideas down and it glitched when I posted it and was lost. Argh! Now to try to remember. My point was that 20 yo kids usually want more substance than dainty. Wings are a good appetizer, but if they're spending the night they want FOOD not a snack. Rather than wings, I'd go with chicken, turkey, ham or something. A giant sub feeds a lot and is popular. Chili, sloppy joes, pulled beef/pork or combo, taco bar, pizza, calzone, crudite platter, things like popcorn, rice cakes or other snacks. Hamburger hotdish or a baked ziti with some garlic bread, or skip the garlic if "closeness" counts! ;)

I would poll the kids and find out what they like and find out what they're bringing. Also find out if there's allergies or other food sensitivities. Seems to be popular these days. Rocco's Mama's Mozzarella Potato Wedges are filling and tasty. Work well hot or when they get cold. (decent quality) Hotdogs or sausages (brats, Italian, etc) and the cocktail meatballs or franks but slice up rope sausage, brats, smoked sausage, Kielbasa and put in BBQ sauce and it's popular too. Picnic fare? Potato salad, mac salad, coleslaw. Dang, I'm getting hungry!

Around here Sloppy Joes are a tradition I started when I first bought the house. I thought it was quick and easy and people dived into them! Talked about it for years and when I'd go someplace they asked me to make slops for the event. They're fun food.

Sounds like a good group. Hope they have a blast!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I think wings would be good, but then remember you need a place for them to toss all of those bones!

Linda, thanks for posting that reaspberry wing recipe. You just solved my dilemna of what to bring to the neighbor's for NYE!

A couple more ideas just in case:

Sloppy Joe Meatballs
    Makes 21 servings
    Prep: 35 minutes
    Cook: 10 minutes
    Ingredients

� 1 egg, beaten
    � 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    � 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    � 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    � 1 pound lean ground beef
    � 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
    � 1 tablespoon cooking oil
    � 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    � 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    � 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    � 1 teaspoon chili powder
    � 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    � 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    � Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Combine egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the onion, and the oregano in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground beef and mix well. Shape into 42 meatballs about 3/4-inch in diameter. Arrange in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, cook remaining 1/4 cup onion and the sweet pepper in hot oil in a large saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, garlic salt, and if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 21 servings.

Make-Ahead Tip: Carefully place drained meatballs in sauce. Place in shallow freezer containers. Cool slightly. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw meatball mixture in refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Serve in a fondue pot, large warmed ceramic bowl, or crockery cooker. Or, to reheat in a crockery cooker, heat thawed meatballs and sauce, covered, on high heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES 2 cups water 1/2 cup soy sauce 4 whole peppercorns 1 tsp dried rosemary 1 tsp dried thyme 1 bay leaf 1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove) 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed 8 French or sourdough rolls, split Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover. Cook on high for 5\-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~ Posted by Ginger St. Thomas

These can be made ahead and served warm or cold. They're very good served with Ranch dressing and/or honey mustard for dipping!

Awesome Chicken Tenders
    Posted by Steelmagnolia 7/10

Pour a quart of low-fat cultured buttermilk into a non-reactive container. Add an egg, stirring until yolk breaks and egg is incorporated. Sprinkle with garlic powder. (I don't measure -- just give the jar 4 or 5 good shakes.) Sprinkle mixture very generously with lemon-pepper seasoning. (Keep adding until the top is totally black.) Stir well.

Cut a package of boneless, skinless breasts into bite-sized 'fingers'. Add to buttermilk, stirring well to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (Note: I don't know if this varies depending on location, but in our local stores, a package of breasts will weigh in the neighborhood of 1-1/2 lbs. I usually buy 3 packages of chicken, but there's enough marinade that I only double that part of the recipe instead of tripling it.)

To cook, add enough oil to pan to cover chicken about halfway. Heat to approximately 370 degrees. (This is where an electric skillet really comes in handy. Helps a lot to keep the temp steady while cooking multiple batches.) Dredge chicken pieces in a standard coating of flour, salt and pepper, going light on the salt. Cook until crisp and well-browned all over, turning once.

Drain on baking sheets lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. While still very hot, sprinkle generously with seasoned salt. (We strongly prefer McCormick's Season-All, but Lawry's will work.)

These are great hot, warm, cold or at room temperature. Just be certain not to put them in a ziplock bag or other closed container until they've cooled completely or the coating will get soggy.

Linda

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots of great ideas. Westsider, we ARE neighbours. Please share the recipe for the grape chili meatballs. I think I will throw those in the crockpot for another easy treat.

Dh vetoed the wings because of all the bones and we have a small dog he is worried about.

Cynic, from experience, polling any kids on what they'll be bringing never works. I know some of the girls will bring some great dishes but there will be TONS of salsa and chips, lots of store bought cookies and desserts. Come to think of it, the dip probably isn't necessary LOL

Linda, both those recipes look delicious. Saving the French dip sandwiches for another time. May make the meatballs for NYE.

• shaun
    13 years ago

loves2cook4six, we went to a xmas party this year and someone brought a tasty little snack that all the teens were going crazy over. I had to ask.

Bacon Roll Ups.

She cut the crusts off white bread, smeared cream cheese on the bread, cut bread in half, rolled it up and wrapped a half a piece of bacon around it.

Then she baked them til the bacon was crispy.

I tasted one....... Of course I love bacon, so I loved it!

Pretty easy and I'm telling you and teens all loved these things.

Oh she stuck toothpickes in each one to hold the bacon on and they used the picks to reach in a grab one.

• jimster
    13 years ago

So, is it safe to say that loves2cook4six is willing2cook4fifty?

Jim

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Yes, at that age, substantial is more important than fancy. Wings are great, but you will probably end up with bones here and there, and besides, they've gotten to be rather expensive. Around here, you can buy bags of really inexpensive chicken leg quarters...much more meat per dollar. Cut 'em up, oven broil them and slather them with some kind of sauce or other...bbq, teriyaki.

Seems like being "vegetarian" is big with kids these days, there's usually at least one in every crowd. So, a big bowl of some kind of a hearty pasta salad (with cheese on the side for sprinkling, in case they're REALLY serious about it) will both help feed everyone and give them an option. Or, if you've chaffing dishes or some other way to keep something warm, a simple pasta with a chunky vegetable marinara type sauce would be great.

You can't go wrong either with a big old platter of cold cuts & cheese, or a crock pot of bbq pork (or both) served alongside a basket of rolls, appropriate condiments available so they can do the work themselves!

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Jim. Guess you're right.

Thanks for the other great ideas. We don't eat bacon so even though those sound delicious, can't do them.

BUT that did give me an idea: cream cheese rollups dipped in melted butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and baked. Although I don't have to do dessert, so maybe not.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

This is my shameless lasagna. My kids inhale it, DH and I tolerate it, LOL.

2 jars seasoned tomato sauce of your choice - I use marinara
    1 box lasagna noodles, doesn't matter if its no-boil or not
    2 15oz containers of ricotta
    3 eggs
    8 oz of shredded mozzarella (pre-shredded, sorry LindaC)
    1.5 cups grated parmesan or 1 cup green cylinder?
    If you are adventurous, toss in a log of herbed goat cheese

Mix the eggs and cheeses in a mixer

In a 9x13 pan, spread a little of the tomato sauce
    Layer the uncooked noodles, cheese, sauce
    add about 1/2 - to 1 cup of water around the four corners

Cover with Reynolds non-stick aluminum foil

Bake 350 for about 45 minutes, remove foil and give it another 15 minutes

Allow to sit for about 15 minutes outside the oven. Done!

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Since I know you love to bake, I saw this and thought of your post. Bet you can fill the sandwich ring with beef, turkey or chicken too. Or vegatarian with seasoned tomato sauce, cheezes and veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Party sandwich ring

• paulines
    13 years ago

My go to party favorite is roll-ups. They can be inexpensive, go together quickly and can be made the night before.

Some of the fillings I've made:

Reuben (corned beef, sauerkraut or cole slaw, swiss cheese and TI dressing)
    Buffalo chicken (rotisserie chix, shredded and mixed with hot sauce, shredded carrots, lettuce and BC dressing)
    Bar-be-que chicken (rot. chix mixed with bar-be-que sauce and cole slaw)
    Italian (your choice of mortedella, hot ham, genoa salami, capicola, provolone, lettuce and chopped oil packed sun dried tomatos)
    Roast Beef (am. cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomatos)
    Cream chesse and chopped olives (use green and black)
    Hoummus (with shredded veggies and feta cheese)
    Egg and/or tuna salad (with shredded veggies)

I slice each tortilla roll-up into fifths and secure with a toothpick.

• velamina
    13 years ago

I thought that a Paella would be really festive and feed lots of people. I've only made this recipe once but it was very good and not labor intensive at all. I added chorizos with the bacon, but to make it a little more traditional next time, I will use the medium grain rice (Goya) or arborio. You would do well with a huge salad and maybe one more side or appetizer (Spanish meatballs in sauce maybe?).

It's just another idea for you but hope this helps. My boys loved this. I'm just guessing at 3 to 4 times the amounts (not the shellfish though, you could probably do very well even with less, but if you want even more you can add scallops to the recipe as well.)

Seafood Paella
    Bon Appetit : February 2000
    Tio Pepe, Baltimore, MD

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    5 bacon slices, chopped

1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups long-grain white rice
    1 (7-ounce) jar roasted sliced pimientos with juice
    1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
    2 cups bottled clam juice
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth

1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
    1 pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into 1/2-inch rings
    1 dozen clams, scrubbed
    1 dozen mussels, scrubbed, debearded
    1 cup frozen green peas, thawed

Lemon wedges

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Set aside.

2. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken to bacon drippings in pot and cook over medium heat until brown, about 7 minutes per side. Using tongs, remove chicken from pot.

3. Add chopped onions and garlic to pot and saute until beginning to brown, scraping up any browned bits, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice, roasted pimientos with juices and saffron. Add clam juice and chicken stock to pot and bring mixture to simmer. Remove from heat.

4. Pour rice mixture into 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange chicken, shrimp, squid, clams and mussels in rice mixture. Sprinkle with chopped bacon and peas. Cover with foil.

5. Bake paella until chicken is cooked through, clams and mussels open and rice is tender, about 45 minutes (discard any clams and mussels that do not open). Remove foil from baking dish. Let paella stand 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I have to jump in here again....50 is a LOT of not far from teen aged boys...the amount of bacon rollups they will want it enormous....and while they sound yummy, the thoughts of making 200 of those things makes me gasp!! I have 6 grandsons between 15 and 24...plus a son and son in law....and the amount of little smokies they ate Christmas day, in addition to meatballs, cheese, chili dip etc etc etc...is mind boggling.
    To feed 50 kids, and mostly boy kids at that you need something that you can cook up lots of with a fair amount of ease. Lasagna or a pasta casserole, ro youw ant something more "finger food" like huge sub sandwiches. Get loaves of french bread, tear out some of the inside and fill with sliced ham, salami, roast beef, sliced turkey etc cheese, onions, lettuce tomatoes....sprinkle with olive oil and some oregano and slice and serve.
    You can also make vegetarian subs with sliced cheese hard boiled egg and veggies olive oil etc. Five sandwiches like that and your snack worries are pretty well over.
    Add chips and dip and desserts, drinks....and it's a good time.
    I tell ya! make it easy not fussy!
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

The nice thing about a taco bar or sloppy joes or pulled pork or shredded beef or whatever is that there is some breadstuff to go with the meat so it stretches farther. Also easier to keep warm than sliders. When I used to feed college students, I will echo that they want SUBSTANCE. Seems like the guys are in their last throes of a growth spurt and the gals are not yet to the point where they have to watch their weight like a hawk. I always had luck with make your own whatevers--burgers, tacos, baked potatoes, roll ups, sandwiches, ice cream sundaes, etc. They like pasta too. Forget finger foods, they just are not into that. I can't tell you the amount of fancy appetizers I've thrown out from college dos. They do pretty well with a cut up veggie and dip platter though, and any leftovers from that can be recycled into stir fry or vegetable soup later. Pizza is always good, lol!!

• Cathy_in_PA
    13 years ago

Please promise you'll report back after the party, loves2cook4FIFTY! You get gold stars -- what a great group of young men!

Cathy in SWPA

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

I'm sure your DS appreciates your efforts and you will be his hero. I know there's a lot on the line here for him with his friends and for you with your DS.

Sounds like a good group of kids.

• woodie
    13 years ago

Here is my offering - its good and feeds a crowd.

NEW MEXICAN CHILE DIP
    from the kitchen of Jim Myers
    Makes about 3 quarts

2-3 pounds ground beef
    2 pounds Velveeta cheese cubed
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce ounce can crushed tomatoes
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    2 - 4 ounce cans chopped green chiles
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin

Brown ground beef with the onions and drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes. Transfer to crock pot to keep warm. Use large corn chips for dippers.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Hey neighbor-, I was running around all day and doing my new hobby-baking bread-what a trip!

The meatball sauce which everyone loves may just be too difficult for your cooking level. Try it anyway. Buy a jar of Chili sauce, Heinz/Bennett's type, dump it in with oh maybe a # of grape jelly, mush it around, toss in the meatballs and coat with sauce.

If you google "chili sauce"+"grape jelly" 56 gazillion hits will show. Verify on cooks.com, epicurious is too fancy
    I've used generic jelly and when I run out of chili sauce, I've used ketchup, with a dash of this and that. The meatballs are seasoned already, so it really is a good taste guarantee. Little forks or GFS has a 100 pk of fancy lucite looking picks, bigger, nicer than tooth or ruffled picks for $3.

You asked for super easy. Another thing I found that these guys/girls like which we don't do in our family. They love pasta salad. So boil pasta, shells, whatever, and add what's good and easy-toss with a bottled dressing. Oh, I remember that I added cheese crumbles from Kraft. nice

The pasta salad and meatballs were big hits at daughter's. graduation party. We had picked up some Sunset catering stuff, but they loved, loved this. Sounds like fun. My kids/friends dont drink either. So nice. So far, Keep us posted. thnks

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

I've used the chili+grape jelly for lil Smokeys also. So easy but soo good.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Westsider40 - my dad's wife has made those meatballs with ketchup and 7-Up.....

Salad idea: simple chicken-less Chinese. Iceberg lettuce, chow mein noodles, green onions, slivered almonds on the side, bottled dressing. Maybe some canned mandarin oranges.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Even pigs-in-a-blanket may be too much work! LOL! If I were doing them for this group, I'd make "franks" in a blanket - use hot dogs and crescent roll dough or better yet, have an outdoor fire pit and let them roast their own hot dogs, have buns, mustard, ketchup, relish, onions ready.

I agree about the pasta salad - use Italian dressing instead of mayo, add some fresh chopped vegetables, beans, pieces of cut pepperoni, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to make it easy for you, tasty for them.

I'd skip the wings and order some subs, then slice them up when ready to serve. Woodie's Chile Dip looks really good and quick to put together.

Oh, and don't put out everything at once or it will be all gone at once!

Teresa

• eileenlaunonen
    13 years ago

I would serve a easy dinner to fill them up....many loaves of italian bread meatballs(at least 100-125) and speghetti with a huge salad......then I serve later in the evening a mixed bag of appetizers...theyll be full from the starch! This main can be done in advance including the pasta!

• susie_que
    13 years ago

Shaun...I make a similar bacon roll up only I use deli american cheese...SO GOOD!!

My son has LOTS of teens over most weekends and my go to dish is similar to Woodies...we just call it taco meat and its 3 lbs ground meat (I often use ground chicken or turkey whatever looks good that day) Browned up in a large dutch oven. I take a little help and use 2 pouches of low sodium taco seasoning, 2 cans rotel tomatoes and a small brick of velveeta cut into cubes and finally 2 cans of drained black beans. Its super easy and can be made ahead and set in a crock pot.
    I get tortilla chips lots of them and on the side I chop some jalapenos, green onions, tomatoes, sour cream...its a huge portion that can feed many big boys.
    Here in Nj pork loin is amazingly cheap....like $1.49 lb so how about making pulled pork?? Its another thing that can be made ahead of time and re-heated. Make sides like baked beans and cole slaw.
    For dessert I would go with a simple sheet cake or brownies.

Have fun and do post pics!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• shaun
    13 years ago

Susie, thanks for that idea; sounds great too.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ideas everyone. I'm definitely doing the meatballs in the crock pot. DS desperately wants the pigs in the blanket thing so last night we did a dry run and made Spinach cheese rollups in crescent roll dough. He did it all himself and his friends inhaled them so he is on piggie duty for Friday LOL.

A pasta salad w/ Italian dressing may also be in the works and possibly some do-it-yourself subs. I wish I had two crock pots, then I'd do a taco bar. I think I'll see if I can find one on freecycle or borrow from a friend.

• carla35
    13 years ago

50 kids... I'd do a sub sandwich and some pans of baked mostacolli on the side (one with meat, one without).

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

For our big halloween party we usually have 50 to 80 people. I usually make a crockpot of meatballs (amongst other things), but make a Swedish meatball type sauce for it.
    Just yesterday a friend contacted me for the recipe for the sauce for a party he's having this evening.

Bob's "Swedish" Meatball sauce

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
    4 medium onions chopped fine with food processor
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup medium dry madiera
    3 cups strong beef stock
    2 cups half-and-half
    1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

Melt butter in large pan over medium low heat, add onions and cook and stir for 15-20 minutes until onoins are nearly caramelized.
    Add flour and stir until the flour is absorbed into the butter, and cook for another minute or two.
    Next stir in the Madiera, then the beef stock, and heat to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
    Next use a stick blender to puree the sauce smooth, and add the half-and-half and Worchestershire sauce.
    Pour over heated meatballs in crockpot on low.

• riverrat1
    13 years ago

Bless you. I've been there and done that! Have fun!

Wings, veggie tray, bread, butter, meatballs, nuts, crackers, cheese, salami and juice! Whew!

I always cooked breakfast after a homecoming/prom kinda thing.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yeah, River....me too.....
    But usually for maybe 20.
    50 is a lot of teen aged boys!!!!!
    Hell it's a lot of adults....but twice as many 20 year olds!
    They're like locusts!! LOL! I am just recovering from Christmas with the 6 big boy kids!
    3 walked in the door and a gallon of chocolate milk was gone in a blink! 2 pounds of cheddar in a flash...8 oz of Blue cheese in a blink, 2 pounds of corn chips and a dip which I never saw, in an instant. And then there were meals!
    Have lots of food!!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Loves, it all sounds delish. Have fun.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the ideas. Here's the follow up.

Everyone brought something. There was so much food that even 50 kids couldn't eat it all. We have unopened pies from the grocery, bags of cookies, chips, tons of stuff left over.

I made the grape jelly meatballs. I made about 150 meatballs and about 50-60 were left. I also made spinach cheese croissants and those all went but I only made 24. There were about 1/4 of the veggies from the costco veggie tray left.

I do not think the party will be remembered for the food that was eaten but rather for how much was left over LOL.

Maybe next year, I'll just provide the house :)

• jessyf
    13 years ago

OMG glad it was a success....sounds like you can throw another party with the leftovers!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I agree, take the meatballs and the veggies and make a big pot of soup, then have another party!

And make more croissants, LOL.

I'm glad it went well, Happy New Year!

Annie