Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lindac, Your Hamantaschen Recipe

Posted by bcskye (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 22:47

I found two printings of your recipe and each showed a small square box then "cup margarine" and a small square box then "cup orange juice". Is the box representative of one, meaning one cup margarine and one cup of orange juice?

Madonna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lindac, Your Hamantaschen Recipe

lindac hasn't posted here in quite a while. I for one miss her.

o

So do I so if you're looking COME BACK!!!!!

o

She's banned from posting. Very sad.

o

Bcskye--Linda's recipe calls for one-half cup of margarine and one-fourth cup of orange juice.

Hint--Click on 'View' at the top of the page (in Firefox), on the pull-down menu choose 'Character Encoding' and the change the code to 'Western'. Those boxes with the question marks will change to reveal fractions.

o
The Recipe

Here's the recipe in a format that should show the fractions correctly.

Hamantaschen (Lindac)

1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

filling of your choice

1. Preheat oven to 350?.
2. Cream together margarine and sugar.
3. Add egg, orange juice, and vanilla, beating well after each.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add 1 cup of flour mixture at time to margarine mixture, beating well to form dough.
6. Split dough into 2 balls, cover in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
7. Roll out chilled dough on a floured surface to preferred thickness.
8. Cut circle with round cookie cutter or glass.
9. Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle.
10. With a drop of water to hold corners, pinch together 3 corners to form a triangle.
11. Place cookie 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

Fillings
.Apple Raisin Filling
1/2 cup unsweetened apple butter
1/4 cup chopped golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts Stir together ingredients.

Date Orange Filling
1 1/4 cups packed pitted dates
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/3 cup orange juice
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 to 2 tablespoons water (if necessary) In a food processor blend together all filling ingredients except water until an almost smooth, jamlike consistency. If mixture is dry add water.

Cranberry Apricot Filling
1 12-ounce package cranberries
2 15-ounce cans apricot halves in light syrup, drained, chopped
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
Combine cranberries, apricots, sugar, and orange juice in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until filling is thick, beginning to stick to pan bottom and reduced to 3 cups, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

o

Gosh! I must be getting senile. I forgot about the ban. Bummer!!! Wish they'd let her and Lou come back. Thanks for reminding me, but its sad.

Thank you, ci_lantro for the information I needed. Hamantaschen, here I come!

Madonna

o

Her ban has left a big void. I hardly ever check this forum anymore. She had prompt and informative responses to questions or problems. Wish she could come back. Maybe next time I check it out.

o

I talk to LindaC very often (once a week) if youd like I could ask her. I too rarely come to this forum anymore. For years we had such a great time and formed a bond with all who were on here. Sad but true

o

I am sure she is greatly missed on the 'antiques' forum as well. I just never go there anymore as rarely do you get good answers. Whata resource she is.

o

She was a wealth of information...just not the same anymore.

o

She was a wealth of information

Yes she was, but she could be pretty snarky, especially to new forum members, or those of us who didn't know as much as she did; it was embarrassing to read some of her comments.

Having been the target of some of "impatient" posts early on, I don't miss her as much as some do. There are plenty of people on this forum just as knowledgeable, and kinder, too.

o

I never noticed that though...apparently I wasn't paying much attention. Maybe I'm just used to it, I too can get annoyed and snarky sometimes but I have certainly been the victim of snarky posters too...HAHA! I think a lot of times written words will come off as mean when in the poster's mind they didn't sound like that :)

ETA: I suppose we shouldn't be talking about this or this yummy recipe thread will go BYE BYE...HA!

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 8:55

o

The beauty of the Gardenweb forums is the ability to edit, before and after we post.

I reread and edit all the time for just that reason, I don't want my words to be misunderstood.

I don't consider that anything I have to say to be so important that it should be posted without a good edit to make my thoughts clear and, if necessary, soften the hard edges.

o

Yes that may be so but the "edit" feature is VERY VERY new, only had it a short time.

o

No it's not. We have always had to go to a second, preview screen where we can edit and approve our thoughts before we post them. Editing after we post is a new and welcome improvement.

o

There's a woman I work with who regularly comes across as being very abrasive, both in speaking and in writing. She has acknowledged to me that it is something she has struggled with all her life, and when she tries to sound nicer people think she's being insincere or passive-aggressive. Some people just can't help it.

Fortunately I've learned to work around it and generally not let it affect me, as this woman also happens to be one of the most knowledgable people on my team. Others can't get past it. Once in a while I feel the need to smack her back, figuratively, and we move on.

As with Linda, there are times I can't help but think she's doing it intentionally. As with Linda she's not always right. As with Linda, there are others around who are knowledgable and could come to the same conclusions, but perhaps not as quickly and efficiently. As with Linda, I often cringe when she opens her mouth. As with Linda, there are people who go through great lengths to try to have her "taken care of." Unlike GW with Linda, fortunately my employer values her contributions and keeps her around.

o

What a shame she has been banned. We went a long time without having that happen since Disney days. I hope this isn't a case of childish Forum police.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here