SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner - #288

ann_t
15 years ago

Great looking pasta Dixie.

We had Mexican tonight. Pork Tacos

I left a pork butt, seasoned with lots of garlic and Chipotle pepper for Moe to put in the oven while I was at work.

When I got home I made homemade corn tortillas, fresh salsa and guacamole to serve with the melt in the mouth tender pork.

I love homemade corn tortillas.

Ann

Comments (102)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Maggie, that little sweetheart is the most delicious thing I've seen on this thread!

I still have to try AnnT's tourtiere. I was thinking of New Year's Day, but Bud and Makayla are spending New Year's Eve with me, I keep telling the kids that New Year's Eve celebrations out are for amateurs, LOL.

So, we'll be having New Year's Day Brunch instead. I haven't decided what, yet, but it will include farm animal shaped waffles and bacon.

Annie

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Lots of yummy foods above...I want a sample of each one!

Last night we had Chinese, egg rolls, char siu and fried rice.

• Related Discussions

288 cell tray of Impatients -now what?

Q

Comments (2)
    Got any strawberry jars? You know the kind with multi openings for strawberry plants. If so, start putting them in those. It's best done when the plants are little and believe me, they fill those holes and make a beautiful upright display, I do it every year in my shady areas that are too dry to grow anything. Another favorite of mine is an impatient crate. If you can get a wooden crate with slats at least an inch, more is better, apart, line with garbage bags leaving top open for watering, fill with soil, cut slits in the plastic and insert plants in sides and then plant the top, again, best done while they are young. By the time they fill out you will have a mound of impatients. Plus it's easy to water, I just leave the hose on a slow drip for a few hours, once or twice a week depending on weather. Once you get the soil totally moist all the way through, it will stay that way for a long time. Make a sack of heavy duty burlap or plastic, fill with dirt, cut slits, plant and hang from a tree. But put in an inch wide pvc pipe drilled with holes in the center for watering first. Lay a large bag of potting soil on the ground and cut slits in it and plant. Make an impatient tower. Take a large pvc pipe and drill inch wide holes in it. Take a smaller pipe and drill smaller hole. Put small pipe in center of large pipe and fill with dirt leaving the small pipe empty, that is your watering pipe, you fill it with water to make it drip out into the soil. The tower can be as big as your imagination and other plants can be added for extra interest. Best idea yet, send about a hundred to me, I still have several strawberry jars and shade planters to fill, lol.
    ...See More

288 cell trays

Q

Comments (6)
    Because I have a habit of growing an ridiculously large number of VARIETIES of peppers in a given year, I start my seeds in 200 cell plug trays. I put the whole plug tray under heat in a 1020 standard tray with a clear dome on top. This makes sorting individual varieties easier (not easy still) by using a chart. If I was planting a lot of a few varieties, I'd skip plug trays and go directly to flat sowing as Bmoser said. It would be SO much easier to plant 100 plants of 5 varieties than 1 plant of 100 varieties. :) Either way, no reaaon the 1020 tray will block too much heat. I think you'll be fine. If you have to, crank the heat up a bit on the mat to compensate for the additional plastic layer between the heat source and plug tray. Chris
    ...See More

Home Depot Feit CFL Clearance- $2.88 a 6 pack

Q

Comments (2)
    I beg to differ.. I have installed these through out our home and though they do take 30-45 seconds to get to full speed ... once they are on you can not tell which is cfl and which is incand which is exactly what we wanted..
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, everything looks good, but it is the spinach and ricotta pinwheels I want.

Maggie, your daughter is adorable. She looks like a little doll.

Marigene, Great looking Egg rolls.

Ann

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Marigene your meal looks wonderful!

Maggie, your "wee one" is absolutely adorable! Looks like a porcelain doll, and what a fab. outfit! Your pie ain't too shabby either!

Annie, your pinwheels and habanero cheesecake look awesome!

Sharon, how I would love your Duck a'la'orange! Duck is a favourite of mine, but I seem to be the minority in my family!

Ann, all your food looks awesome!

Shelley S.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Oh, I could just eat up the little one and smother her in kisses!

Since there have been no posts since Mnday night, I will go...

Sunday night was some pan seared salmon with the tomato basil butter from this summer. Sides were steamed potaotes, and sauteed spinach and a salad of spring mix with vinaragette.

Monday was the boiled beef brisket dinner that I set up on Sunday. Brisket, boiled potatoes, steamed turnips, parsnips and carrots with horseradish and lingonberies on the side. Lot sof beef broth to mash the taters in.

Tonight was stuffed chicken breast, full of spinach, sun dried tomato and pinoli wih some romano. Rice on the side.

NYE- out!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Thanks for that sauce recipe Marigene. Annie, glad you found you camera....I think it went MIA but I could be wrong. Lots of great looking food/dinners here and Maggie your little girl is too darn cute all dressed up.

After cooking and baking tons of food for the holidays and company I've been eating leftovers and stuff out of the freezer the last few days. Tonight was a steak on the grill, baked potatoe, and a salad to clean out the veggie bin.

David

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Wow, I have missed a lot...
    Busy holiday season and a late start on everything...I must start earlier next year...

Ann, your taco looks so good and your Cmas Eve pie too.
    I made them this year too, after hearing you and Monique talk about them...I didn't make anything for the topping though..should have.
    I ground the pork since I decided at the last minute to make them..

Would love to taste that Toffee pudding too!

Marigene, I will have the bow ties...and the chinese meal looks excellent!
    What is the char sui???? You made your own egg rolls? I haven't done that for years...do you have a good recipe/method??

Annie, those spinach ricotta pinwheels looks so good!

Maggie, your pie looks good, but Grace looks EXCELLENT! How cute! Hope you had a great Christmas!

Chase your table looks so pretty! I am sure the meal was excellent too!

So much good food here. I think we missed a lot of meals due to all the holiday preps, lots of soup for supper!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

Here are a few things I made recently for dinner...

Latkes, haven't made them in a long time! with roast pork and apples

Potato Leek Soup..

Christmas Eve Pies..

Merry Christmas Cake..(devils food, choc filling and whipped cream)

Beef Barley Soup...

And the plates from Marigene all dressed up for Cmas Eve dinner..

Chicken cutlets stuffed with Spinach and Ricotta..

Happy New Year everyone...Good health !

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Oh my, I've missed a lot!

Annie, you didn't say who "won" the appetizer contest?

Little Grace is awfully cute!!!

Marigene, what is char sui? It looks yummy... is it beets??

Pk, your meals all sound delicious. With salmon and ligonberries, I'm guessing that you're in the northeast?

Kathleen, your table is spectacular! The silver and lavender is lovely! Can you share your stuffed chicken cutlet recipe?

Turkey gumbo tonight.....I usually make it a day or two after Christmas, but got sidetracked this year.

Grace

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

The outfit was funny, right? Let me tell you this little one gives total attitude already! I had no idea girls started so young - LOL.

Peppi, your salmon sounds good. I only like Salmon when someone else makes it. That butter sounds good!

Teresa, sounds like your picking up a little! It sure is hanging on...

That does look good Marigene - Char-sui - Chinese Bbq sauce? Has some sort of red dye?

Kathleen, I scrolled quickly to the end and knew that was you before I saw your name! Beautiful settings as always! The pies look awesome!

Grace, that is one of my dh's favorites. I will have to make that soon. Yours look amazing.

David - also living on holiday leftovers here! Moving on to the Ham bone my sister gave me today (of course she expects soup in return - lol)! Made a split pea soup. Not a beauty but one of my faves. Now I am ready for simple foods, no gravy's or sauces...no cream! My pants are ready for that, too:)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Maggie, they all start early, as befits Princesses. And every little girl should be a princess.

David, the camera was left in Ohio when we visited his father before Christmas. He mailed it back to me and it was waiting on my porch, wrapped in a plastic bag to protect it from the wet thanks to the U.S. Postal Service. Nice guy delivers my mail...

Now I'm in the middle of cleaning the fridge and the pantry, so I'll be having some "interesting" meals for a while. Plus, I want to lost a few more pounds before buying a swimsuit for that trip to South Padre in February, so last night's supper was leftover eggplant gratin and leftover green beans with portabellos and shallots. Lunch today was the rest of that half rack of pork. Tonight supper is at Burger King with The Monkey Princess and Bruvver, we're celebrating New Year's Eve by eating out and staying up until 10 p.m.! (grin)

Annie

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Kathleen, your latkes and meat pies are making me hungry. I am making myself a small tourtiere for tonight. Your lavender tablescape is stunning!

Grace, even though I am not a turkey lover that gumbo looks really good.

Annie, I know you will have fun with the grandkids tonight!

Char siu is Chinese barbecued pork. It does have the optional red food coloring in the marinade.

Monday night I used the little bit of leftover char siu in Singapore rice noodles.

Last night we had meatballs.

• shellm
    15 years ago

Grace Gumbo is one of my all time favorites,I would love a bowl of that.Never had gumbo until moving to mississippi.Now I cant get enough of it.Everyone elses dinners look great as well.

Shelley

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Gumbo.....we don't eat it(although yours looks really good!)..but we do eat Jambalaya..and I haven't made it in a while...that would make hubby very happy...Might have to pick up the remaining ingredients I don't have, to make that tomorrow...
    Marigene, I just want to reach out and grab a fork full of noodles!

Not sure what to have for dinner tonight.....

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Marigene, do you use boneless pork chops or what to make the bbq pork?
    BTW, remember that hot sauce you told me that you get at Walmart?? We only have 1 about 45 min from here, not a super store, so they didn't have it. But Mike looked for it and asked too!
    The shrimp and rice noodles look good!

Our dinner party here is postponed till tomorrow night due to the storm and frozen roads...so I am scratching up something to have for our dinner!

Grace, I pound out a chicken cutlet, mix some ricotta, s&p, garlic if you like, grated cheese and mix in some chopped spinach. Roll it up, dip in egg and crumbs and brown in a pan. Very easy, and tasty!

• indicanoe
    15 years ago

*BUMP*
    I need this thread for inspiration....we had takeout Thai food tonight. Tomorrow I will cook I promise....Lori

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Made a Morrocan style Chicken with Olives and Preserved Lemons. (Made the lemons 2 months ago and this is the first time I've tried them.... delicious!).

Sides were a little barley cooked with bay and basil under the chicken, Sharon/CB's Parmesan crusted Sweet Potatoes, Steamed Peas and Zucchini strips.

If I had taken time for photos, they would have mutinied since everyone was hungry!!

DS#1 came over and DS#4 is here on his last night before returning to college.

Grace

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathleen, everything looks so good. I love your table settings. Had to smile at the Latkes being served with pork.

Grace, I'm drooling over your Gumbo.

I bought a jar of Preserved Lemons from the Mediterranean store a few weeks ago with the intention of making a chicken and olive dish. Thanks for the reminder.

Dinner last night was Spaghetti with Prawns and tonight I made my version of an appetizer we get at a little Italian restaurant in Victoria. Small menu with just a couple of appetizers and 1/2 a dozen pizzas, thin crust, baked in a wood oven. Cannellini beans with garlic and rosemary served with thin crust pizza bread for dipping. I soaked the cannellini beans overnight and then I baked them before leaving for work this morning. They were cooked in turkey broth with lots of garlic,fresh rosemary and olive oil.

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Ann T - I hate to sound like a dummy, but could you give more specific directions for the bean dip? That looks so good!

Sue

• bri29
    15 years ago

The other day I made chicken noodle soup and rolls from a copycat recipe of the outback brown bread. Oh, how I love that bread... :) It wasn't a half bad dinner! Even my dh went nuts about the soup and he doesn't usually get excited about dinner. I took pictures of the bread, but none of them were in focus. Basically, they looked just like the Outback rolls, just a little bigger.

Tonight I made pasta with marinara and baked shrimp. Kind of a standby dinner, but I can get it on the table in half an hour and it's tasty. No pictures unfortunately, we were too hungry!

Bri

• indicanoe
    15 years ago

Whew, I was afraid the thread would go to the next page again.....
    I finally managed to make my ham hash from a leftover ham I made for dinner on Tuesday. DH and I ate the hash with ceasar salad and a whole wheat english muffin for me. For Sunday it will either be beef stew, or a spinach pasta bake.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, I didn't follow a recipe. I just wanted to try and recreate what we had in the restaurant. Here is what I did. I soak the cannellini beans over night. In the morning I drained beans and put them in a dutch oven. Covered with turkey broth. Chicken broth would work just as well. Added 3 large cloves of minced garlic, coarsely chopped some rosemary, (that I had to dig out from under the two feet of snow we have) and poured in some olive oil. Didn't measure. Salt and pepper. Brought the beans to a boil and then covered and placed in the oven (350°) for about an hour and 15 minutes. I stirred them after each 1/2 hour and was surprised at how quickly they became tender.

For dinner, I put the beans in a gratin dish, sprinkled with Parmesan and stuck it under the broiler.

I had kneaded up some pizza dough before leaving for work and put it in the fridge for a slow rise. Moe took it out of the fridge a couple of hours before I came home. So after I got home it didn't take long to put dinner together.

Ann

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Ann! I doubt you ever use recipes, but I need step-by-step hand-holding LOL! Cant' wait to try it!

Sue

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

I should not look here first thing in the morning....now I want soup and pasta and chicken and and andthere goes my diet.

Gbsim, I am in Chicago, so the salmon came from Costco and the lingonberries are imported. The brand is Felix and we always bought them at the German deli's but Ikea carries them too. They are great on pancakes.

Let's see, Wednesday, NYE, wa out and I feasted on lamb chops. NYD we were invited to freinds for a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. She had an 18 pounder for 6 of us, so she sent me home with leftovers for Friday. Why are turkey leftovers always better?

And yesterday I finally emptied out the upright freezer and did an inventory. This new one is a self defrost, so it is too easy to put that task off. I have no need to shop for meats and fish for several weeks, thats for sure!

Dinner resulted in chicken livers with onions, mushrooms, garlic, some chopped tomato and a good splash of Maderia. Also pulled out a bagauette to soak up the gravy. Dessert was the last bites of christmas cookies.

I have a good amount of beef broth left from teh brisket, so I think that will be a big pot of beef veggie soup for this week. And tonight is a standing rib roast and I may follow Mustangs idea of using up some Boursin with potatos. I know the leftover aujus will morph into onion soup later too.

Peppi

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oh it all looks so good! I haven't had dinner yet so it's making me even more hungry: Ann's shrimp spaghetti (one of my favourite dishes) and Bri's noodle soup, Grace's turkey gumbo and Kathleen's wonderful dishes and everything else I didn't mention.

We decided to skip a hot dinner New Year's Eve and instead snacked on cold salads, hot sausage puffs, cheeses, crackers, dry sherry and just a couple of small benjamin bottles of champagne, enough for a glass each. I find it harder each year to eat a dinner in the evening, so we had our planned vol-au-vent for lunch New Year's Day, and after many years Wolf finally confessed that he didn't really care for shrimp! So I made it with salmon, peas and fresh mushrooms instead. (Okay so I'll eat shrimp alone from now on LOL!)

Which I did the next day when we went out to a little neighbourhood terrace cafe for lunch and I had grilled shrimp while Wolf had a beef strogonoff.
    The sky was deep blue and the cafe was decked out to attract tourists with local artefacts placed around the front.

Yesterday I went out shopping before I had time for breakfast so I stopped in a cafe next to the supermarket and ordered a little piece of tortilla (Spanish omelette) and a cafe con leche. Turned out the tortilla was done cordon blue style with melted cheese and ham inside. Not bad and it kept me going until I quickly made lunch of a vegetable soup (from a tin) as we had friends coming for coffee.

They were a couple from Germany who own a bakery and cafe, who had just arrived for a two week holiday here. Guess what they brought us (ulp!)....a two kilo ...(that's over 4 lbs)....streusel poppyseed stollen from their bakery!! OMG....and it's packed full of beautiful moist poppyseeds, streusel topping and icing. I guess we'll just have to eat it lol.
    But they gave us a tip....cut it in half and put half in the deep freeze where it will keep well, and the rest in the fridge, never left out at room temperature. Which brings me to another question. Why is it if we eat something sweet that weighs 4 ounces, we put on a pound around the waistline? Another mystery of physics I guess.

Have a good Sunday!

SharonCb

• patricialynn
    15 years ago

Ann your spaghetti w/prawns looks wonderful. The sauce looks delicious. Is there a recipe for it?

thanks, Patti

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I am way to behind to catch up but I loved looking and reading about the meals. They all look and sound good.

I have just been very busy with all the cooking that went on during the holidays, traveling and entertaining that I felt a little burnt out. I haven't posted because not much to speak of or show that is that appealing but fed us. LOL! I need to get going again. I've being doing a massive cleaning of our basement so that has pooped me out.

Tonight will be a version of Sweet and Sour Pork over white rice along with some radishes and cucumbers with ginger and rice vinegar.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Oy! I 'll never get caught up on this thread , great food , great pics! Suffice to say the two Grace's really got my attention. Baby Grace is such a doll, I can't believe how big she is getting and growed up Grace's Gumbo looks amazing...great pic Grace!

We have been up at the cottage since a million years ago, or so it seems. Horrible rains and winds Sunday and Monday, we were without power for almost 36 hours. Thankfully we have a generator big enough to handle the fridges, furnace and water so we managed well enough.

The kids were up for 4 days, we snowshoed and snowmobiled and played cards, and ate. It was lots of fun!

Some of the menu items were ham , scalloped potatoes and the trimmings, stuffed ribs, pirogies, kielbasa, kraut and cabbage rolls, turkey soup, chili con carne, spaghetti and meatballs, rubens, chicken and sliders, cheese fondue, .......it's diet time! LOL

Tonight's dinner is either leftover ham, mac and cheese and broccoli or ham, cheese and broccoli crepes.....so not quite yet diet time!

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Dixie....
    Your menu reminds me how much I love Sweet & Sour Pork. I had a recipe that I used to make and maybe I'll do that again.

Also Chase's scalloped potatoes are a good idea too. You have really been eating well up there at the cottage.
    Sounds like you needed hot food though with the bad weather and a power outage! You're so lucky to have a good generator to tide you through it.
    We keep a small Honda here for when that happens. It's only large enough to power a TV and a couple of lamps though.

Here's the photo of our shrimp vol au vent which turned into salmon a la king on New Year's Day when Wolf revealed that he didn't really care for shrimp!
    I opened a tin of pink salmon, and used fresh mushrooms and frozen peas over vol au vent casings. A small salad each as well.

Today I made baked teriyaki salmon....which I had already planned for today, together with steamed peas & carrots and (toaster oven) roasted yams, onion and those special black potatoes from here, called "papas negras yema de huevo"....meaning black egg yolk potatoes because the inside of the potato is pale yellow. They are the best, and most costly, of the Canary Island potatoes and are usually reserved for special occasions. They look ugly though with so many eyes that they can't be peeled easily, but are so good!
    Again a bowl of salad to start off the dinner.

SharonCb

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I'm way too far behind too, I can't even try to catch up!

Friday was Elery's birthday, so I broke out my last package of locally caught walleye fillet. We had sesame curry cauliflower with it, he likes that intensely hot, I don't even like cauliflower much at all, but it was HIS birthday so......

He made one of his favorites, cornbread salad and had a glass of Black Star Farms 2007 Late Harvest Riesling. It was a little too sweet for him, so of course I liked it, LOL.

{{!gwi}}

On New Year's Day I had the obligatory chick peas for good luck and collard greens to bring wealth. Cornbread just because I like it.

{{!gwi}}

This morning I made multigrain pancakes with blueberries from the freezer that I picked this summer. Nice Michigan Maple Syrup topped those off:

{{!gwi}}

Now, I've decided I need to do one of those pantry cleaning months, so I should have some very interesting meals, LOL. Plus I want to lose a few pounds before I buy a swimsuit, Elery and I are going to South Padre Island in February, so it's low fat AND interesting. (grin)

Annie

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon , the scallop potatoes I made were your recipe...the one with a bit of onion soup...delish!

Annie, you're killing me with the Walleye ( Pickerel if it's caught on the Canadian side! LOL) Pickerel or Perch and I'm in heaven!

Ended up doing leftover ham, home made mac and cheese and steamed broccoli.... no complaints.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Great looking meals! I wish that Sharon's German friends would come to my house next!.... there must be CUPS of poppyseeds in that strudel!!

Marigene, I've never used rice noodles... I'll have to give them a go.

Chase, it sounds like you've been cooking nonstop!

Annie, I had cornbread salad once at a church potluck and loved it. Do you have a favorite way to make it?

Sounds like a lot of us are into clearing out the freezer, pantry and cupboards. Must be part of the New Year/New Leaf.

Our youngest son flew back to college this AM, so we had a quiet meal of leftovers tonight. Just enough cabbage rolls for two of us, some leftover peas spruced up with zucchini strips and a green salad.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

gbsim, Elery's salad is just some green onions, celery, hard boiled egg and tomatoes, cut up and mixed with cubes of toasted leftover cornbread. He dresses it with a mix of half a cup of buttermilk and half a cup of low fat sour cream, with a spoonful or so of Penzey's Ranch Dressing mix, although I'm sure the stuff in the packet would work if you don't have Penzey's.

Sorry about those big pictures, I forgot to "shrink" them!

Annie

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patti, I just used my standard marinara sauce with the prawns. This sauce is good with prawns, Italian sausage, clams, black olives, etc...

Just heat up a little olive oil, add a couple of cloves of minced garlic, simmer for just a few seconds, add a can of quality Italian tomatoes (I just break them up with my fingers) season with basil, salt, pepper and a little hot red pepper flakes (optional) and some fresh chopped parsley and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce reduces. Chop up some fresh basil and add at the last minute before removing from the heat. I froze cubes of basil and cubes of pesto to have on hand and I just add these if I don't have fresh basil. Just add the prawns to the sauce and cook for a couple of minutes. Or you can saute the prawns first and add them to the sauce.

Sounds like you ate well up at the cottage Sharon. We had a ham dinner for New Years Day too. Invited four of our neighbours in. Sounds like we had similar sides. I made a big casserole of scalloped potatoes with Gruyère cheese. My favourite side though was the sweet potatoes with caramelized onions.

SharonCB, your salmon in the vol au vent looks delicious. The puff pastry looks so perfect.

Annie, Happy belated birthday to Elery.

I can't show Moe your picture of the walleye. He loves that fish. One of our grocery store sells it frozen. Maybe I'll pick up some up just for him this week.

Grace, I want your cabbage rolls. I have been craving cabbage rolls for weeks now. I'm off work for a few days so just maybe they will end up on our menu this week.

We had chicken picatta with a side of pasta for dinner last night.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Sharon just looking at your pics puts lbs on! I don't know how you do it...I do, I know you exercise and walk a lot....to the cafe!

Ann, I know, latkes and pork...but I grew up knowing them as potato pancakes!
    Your meals look delcious as usual..

Annie, that will be a good vacation..fun in the sun!

Gbsim, my dh would love your stuffed cabbage, his mom always made them. I made 100's for a Polish Dance at church one year, and since then thinking about making them...well let's just say I only think about doing it!

Our NY Eve dinner party was cancelled due to weather...so I had to cook the shrimp. I made francaise and had some of the spinach casserole. The table is still set for 8 in the dining room , maybe a hungry crowd will stop in and I will be all ready!

We had some and I froze the rest after I cooked them. I won't give them to company, but they will be fine for us..

Chase, sounds like you had fun! And I know what you mean...I wish all the candy and goodies left would disappear! Soo tempting! I have so much left from the party that never happened...I guess it will get tossed today!

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathleen, how sad that your guests weren't able to enjoy your dinner and your beautifully set table. Lovely as always.

I boxed up all the Christmas goodies and sent them home with Matthew. It was a quick way to get rid of them.

We had homemade pizza for dinner. Topped with Italian sausage and mushrooms.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Kathleen your table is lovely , so sorry your dinner party didn't happen. SO much effort , such a let down.

Ann your pizza looks great as always.Grace, I love cabbage rolls but no one else here will eat them......silly folk.

Last night we had Shepherd's Pie and steamed yellow beans. Meredith's BF is staying here until they fly out next week. Usually I have little more than half leftover...last night nada! Man can that kid eat! LOL

Tonight I'm doing tempura, shrimp, mushrooms, cauliflower and broccoli , several dipping sauces, rice and snow peas on the side.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Oh Kathleen! Too bad about the weather ruining your dinner plans. Your table looks magnificent, as always.

Tonight I'm making a Cuban Pork Roast, white rice, black beans and some plaintains.

I put slits in the roast and poured all the seasonings in and it's been marinating since yesterday but with the rest, I'm cheating - instant rice yuk yuk, canned beans but I jack them up with fresh garlic and olive oil and pico de gallo and frozen plaintains that you just nuke and serve.

If I can remember, I'll take a picture.

Tomorrow night is (Marilyn's) Chicken Enchiladas we love those!

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Last night was homemade pizza. Since it's just Joe and I, I could put all the veggies on it that I wanted!! Lots of red peppers, mushrooms and onion which are the least favorite when the "boys" are home.

This cooking for two sure does take getting used to and I'm glad that I have a freezer. I decided to go ahead and make my usual crust recipe that makes two big pies. Froze one with just sauce after baking about halfway and have 4 slices leftover in the refrigerator. I think this is the first time that I've made pizza for just the two of us!

Kathleen, you set a lovely table. I would feel so special being one of your guests, since it is obvious that you put a lot of love and care into creating such a setting for the meal.

Grace

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

I stopped by to tell Ann I found a way to make your caramel sauce even more deadly. Instead of eating it by the spoonful, I put it into a squeeze container and squeeze it into my mouth. Mmmm. Originally made for some Christmas treat, but I ended up with "extra" and first started out trying to think of things to put it in on, but then gave up the charade and just started squeezing it directly into my mouth.

Even with that, I am still on my diet (since September 6). I've lost 32 pounds, have 18 left, and I've been eating soup, soup, and more soup none of which is worthy of photographing. That, and much smaller meals that look too funny to take a picture of. Maybe I'll learn to plate it so that it looks "normal" some day. Smaller meals are ok, just look a little strange. :)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

rob, I have the same problem with my meals. Those plates I've been using are salad plates and the meals still look small on them!

I think you and I both need smaller plates!

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

bread plates? Do you think that would look good Annie? ;) I just have to love being skinnier more. Thanks for the encouragement!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thanks, Ladies...the table is still set...soon it will look like the table from Mrs Haversham's house! :) (ok, what was the name of that classic? webs all over...)

Ann, the pizza looks delicious, perfect crust...
    I bought myself one of those Cuisinart griddler/pannini's for Christmas...played with it today..marinated some chicken breasts and grilled them for a salad..

So far I have only made grilled cheese, and grilled the bread..and this...I think I like it...I want to try it with veggies..and pineapple etc. Better than going out in the cold!

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

No picture... too lazy! Big serving of salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, snap peas, zucchini, carrots, radishes.... and a baked potato on the side. I'll lose this 15 lbs or else!!

Kathleen you'll love your Griddler. I've had mine for about 6 weeks. Have done all sorts of wonderful sandwiches. I've only grilled once (shrimp) and they were good too!

Grace

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rob, I like your style. LOL! Can't think of a better way to use up left over caramel sauce.

Kathleen, I'm sure you will love your Cuisinart Griddler. I bought one for Matthew about three years ago and I know that he uses it a lot.

I made Greek Cabbage rolls for dinner tonight. And made Moe happy with a salad too. Mixed greens with pear, walnuts and Gorgonzola.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Lovely pics everyone. Kathleen that was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I think you have a decade or so to go before yours gets close to being bad. Smiles. It's lovely.

There ya go Robin. When you're stressed give a caramel squirt.

Well after reading Bizzo's meatloaf thread for the past few days I had to make one. Christy is another one of those who likes meatballs and hamburgers but not meatloaf. Okkkk.. especially since I've even made the meatloaf just like my meatballs to see if it made a difference. Nope. LOL. So tonight I made meatloaf and put in some salsa as many have mentioned. I still used a nice hunk of old italian bread soaked in milk. I even used some parmessian. I made her 8 meatballs in a pie plate and shaped the rest into a meatloaf for me. She loved her balls. I enjoyed the meatloaf too. Now I know what to do when I want meatloaf, just make hers into meatballs. I am really looking forward to meatloaf sandwiches for the next few days. Thanks Bizzo. Smiles.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thanks Coco...brain stalled!!

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

NP Kathleen. Mine does that regularly.

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

For a second there I thought Kathleen was having fish and Ann a salad! I got scared:)

Rob, congrats! I think I will try the salad plate idea.

Browsing for ideas for dinner...I feel in a rut. I never had cabbage rolls and greek style sounds good!

Say goodnight to this thread:)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Congrats Rob! I need to follow your good example and loose a few.

Kathleen you're going to love your grill. We gave Chris one for Christmas and he uses it all the time (they don't have an outdoor grill)

Ann lucky Moe!

Pizza last night here. Made two large ones and Meredith's BF ate an entire one himself! Luckily they are leaving Wednesday I couldn't afford to feed this guy much longer. LOL

Tonight is a toss up between beef burritos, chicken enchiladas or meatloaf (where did that craving come from!?!?) I'll let Meredith decide.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Kathleen, some friends and I meet once a month at an Italian restaurant for lunch and I had soup and a paninni sandwich that was fresh mozzarella, sliced tomato and basil pesto and it was wonderful..... all that melty cheese...yum, yum.
    jude