Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long can you keep saved frozen bananas for banana bread?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 21:45

I am embarrassed to post this...I need a pseudonym! I don't like ripe bananas, so when they go too far, I bag them up 2 at a time and freeze them. I do not know if anyone but me does this, but I would guess I got the idea from somewhere. It has always worked very well; defrost, let juices drain away (for some reason there always are, when freezing them) and go on with the recipe. But I guess I have not made banana bread in a while, because I keep running across bananas in the freezer. I might have been programmed too well by my Depression era parents: instead of just tossing them, I look for advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long can you keep saved frozen bananas for banana bread?

I know I've kept some bananas in the freezer for a couple of months at least and have never had an off taste. i just thaw them and yep, drain off all the liquid.

Teresa

o

I made some banana bread with frozen bananas that were at least six months old......I drained them and added a little pumpkin puree. The quick bread came out really tasty.

o

Could somebody post or link to a good recipe for banana bread? I have some bananas and pumpkin puree, and want to dry it.

o
Correction

I mean I want to try it, not dry it.

o

I am almost embarrassed to say I use the Bisquick recipe....and I add just a little sour cream.

o

Pumpkin puree! My gosh, so do I. I have never baked with it, but I kept reading here how people cooked up their pumpkins and made it and froze it, so I did too. At least that I know is less than two months old. :)

o

The food charts I have for how long you can keep bananas in the freezer gave no amounts of time, and one said "extended freezer time" - whatever that means (LOL).

I guess the goal should be to use the frozen bananas in a timely manner (few months), but I was moving some things around in my refrigerator freezer and I found several ripe bargain bananas that were quick-frozen then placed in a FoodSaver bag, vacuum-sealed shut -- early last summer and promptly forgotten about. I made them into banana bread the other day for yet one more offering to the "throngs" for breakfast during their Christmas visit.

When you vacuum-seal peeled bananas (or most food destined for freezer storage), they will last longer than in a typical storage bag because they are stored oxygen-free. Oxygen-free storage prevents the moisture inside the food from migrating from the surface of the food into the bag, drying out or creating ice crystals in the bag.

A food science tidbit about using overly-ripe bananas for banana bread. When a banana bread recipe only calls for baking soda as the only chemical leavening, overly-ripe bananas are not as acid (6.5-7.0 pH) as a regular banana (4.6 pH) in order to react in partnership with the baking soda. The reaction may be a weak one resulting in a heavy banana bread. A good banana bread recipe, one that ensures adequate leavening, will use both baking powder and baking soda. If the recipe only has baking soda, make sure a portion of the bananas aren't overly-ripe, or there is another ingredient in the recipe that provides an acid ingredient. That could be some lemon juice added to the bananas to keep them from oxidizing and turning dark, orange juice, honey used as the sweetener, or yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk, which are all acid foods that will react with the baking soda.

-Grainlady

o

Wow! Thanks, Grainlady! Maybe this is the reason why the banana bread recipes I have tried so far have been too heavy. I want to try the Cook's Illustrated one that there was a thread on recently.

I don't have a vacuum sealer, so my frozen bananas would not have extreme longevity. I think I will just defrost some and taste them before mashing. If they are "off" I should be able to tell, I should think.

BTW, thanks to everyone for not coming down on me for my freezer amnesia. I was half afraid to post this question in the first place.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent thread on banana bread

o

I don't even bother to bag them.. Once they turn black & mooshy throw them into the freezer just as they are. I make a banana bran muffin recipe for my B&B guests.. Some days I thaw completely them other days I don't.

For your consideration & enjoyment I present

Banana Bran Muffins :

1 C. all purpose flour
1 C. Bran cereal ( bran buds ) generic ones work great too
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP. cocoa

1/4 C. butter or margarine
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
1/4 C. sour milk ( 1 tsp vinegar in milk )
Mashed bananas ( 3 Medium ) semi thawed * I break them up with my portable mixer when they are semi thawed *

Mix all 6 dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Stir to combine & make a well in the center.

Cream butter,sugar & 1 egg until well blended. Beat in 2nd egg. Mix in sour milk & bananas and pour all at once into well. Mix until moistened ( ignore lumps ) fill greased muffin pans or paper baking cups 3/4 full. Bake in 400 F oven for 20 - 25 mins
Yield 12 muffins

Original recipe from Company's Coming Muffins & More

o

Oh, this is my fav. banana bread recipe... and yes, I use frozen bananas... and I don't worry about how long they were frozen, as long as no freezer burn is visible. :)

Banana Bread

2 c sugar
1/2 c shortening

2 eggs
3 c flour
1 pinch salt

1/2 c buttermilk
1 to 1 1/2 t baking soda

3 to 4 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 c nuts (optional)

Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs, flour, salt, buttermilk (mix the buttermilk and baking soda together) mix and finally bananas and nuts. Pour in to greased bread pans.
Bake at 350 degree for about an 1 hour, or so, top should be split.

o

I don't bag them, either, and have never had a bad result. I suspect I've used bananas at least a year old over the years, because I've found them buried under other things that age.

Which reminds me: When she was in grade school, my dtr had a friend whose mother peeled her bananas and wrapped them in plastic wrap for her school lunches! I can't think of much that is sillier than that!

o

Thanks for the recipes, I'm going to try this next week!

o

This isn't related to banana bread, but a fun thing to do with frozen bananas is whirl them in a food processor for a few minutes. It makes an "ice cream" that is remarkably similar to vanilla soft serve. It's soft and creamy. I add vanilla and sometimes pumpkin pie spice, peanut butter or chocolate chips for a guilt-free dessert.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here