SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanthere_dunthat

Alexa - Kentucky Bouron Balls

beanthere_dunthat
14 years ago

Alexa - I found my neighbor's recipe. I typed it out exactly as she wrote it except the notes, which she told me verbally. I'm not going to include her name because I don't have a way of asking her if that would be ok with her. (She didn't to much like the idea of the internet.)

I haven't made this myself yet, but she says she made it every year for nearly 60 years. She did bring me some one Christmas, and they were good. (They are a little more "righteous than holy," and I'm sure her minister did not get any. LOL!)

Personlly, I think I would use a different chocolate just because I'm not big fan of Baker's.

Kentucky Bourbon Balls

16 oz 10x powdered sugar

1 stick butter, room temp

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 tablespoons good bourbon (like Woodford)

6 squares BakerÂs semi-sweet chocolate

1 square (same size as a chocolate square) paraffin wax

1 pecan half for each piece of candy

1. Cream the sugar and soft butter together.

2. Stir in the vanilla.

3. Cover and put in the ice box for at least an hour.

4. Put chocolate and paraffin in a double boiler and slowly melt, stirring the whole time.

5. Roll the creamed mix into balls (about one inch) and dip in chocolate with a wood skewer. Put them on wax paper. Quickly press a half pecan on top of each before the chocolate hardens.

6 Store in a closed container in the refrigerator. Before serving, let sit out for about half an hour. DonÂt try to keep them for more than a week, and donÂt mix them in tins with other candies or everything will taste like bourbon.

Notes: A different way of making them that people like is to put pecans in the cream candy part. To do this, soak one cup of very finely chopped pecans in the bourbon and vanilla for about five minutes, then stir all of that into the butter and sugar.

Comments (20)