Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuffed Mushrooms

Posted by happylady1957 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 21:20

Hello All,
I am looking for a knockout stuffed mushroom recipe for a small dinner party we are having. It needs to be seafood-free. I happen to make a fairly tasty one, but for some reason the caps always come out soggy.

TIA for any help
Happy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuffed Mushrooms

My favorite stuffed mushroom recipe

Bleu Cheese Mushrooms
12 - 14 extra large mushrooms (fresh), cleaned
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs, divided
salt and pepper to taste

Remove stems from mushrooms and chop. Cook stems and onions in butter until tender, but not browned. Add bleu cheese, 2 Tblsp. bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Fill mushroom caps with mixture. Sprinkle w/ remaining bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350º for 12 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings.

o

You can't go wrong with Sharon's (Chase) recipe.

Posted by: chase (My Page) on Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 19:57
I don't know if this is inventive, actually they are so simple but they are d@mn good.
Stuffed Mushrooms
20 large white mushrooms
1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
4 or 5 green onions chopped fine
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar
1/3 Cups bread crumbs more or less if needed
salt
Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems and onions finely (I use the food processor). Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have given up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the cheese.~
Stuff the mixture into the caps and sprinkle with a bit of salt (or you can salt after they come out of the oven...which is what I usually do).
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft.

o

I also make Sharon's Stuffed Mushroms, they're really good and mine haven't come out soggy. No seafood either.

Have fun!

Annie

o

I have made both of these and they are very good and very easy!
Alexa

BACON AND CREAM CHEESE STUFFED MUSHROOMS

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4-6 strips of bacon, fried and crumbled; reserve fat
1 small onion, finely chopped
20-25 large mushrooms, stems removed
about 8 mushroom stems, finely chopped

Saute onion and mushroom stems in bacon fat until tender. Drain off excess fat. Mix crumbled bacon, onion and stems with softened cream cheese until the mixture is workable.

Stuff each mushroom and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
Finish under the broiler just until tops are golden.

Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

Rating:
Read Reviews Submit A Review

Filled with sausage and spinach, whole white mushrooms come alive with flavor.

Estimated Times:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
1 package(12 oz.) STOUFFER'S frozen Spinach Soufflé, defrost according to package directions (I use plain frozen chopped spinach and a little sour cream)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons chopped onion
3/4 cup water
2 1/3 cups herb seasoned stuffing (not crouton style)
8 ounces bulk Italian sausage; cooked, drained and crumbled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
2 1/2 pounds whole white mushrooms, stems removed

Instructions:
MELT butter in medium saucepan; add onion and cook until translucent. Add water; heat to boiling. Remove pan from heat. Add herb-seasoned stuffing; stir until moistened. Stir in Spinach Soufflé, cooked sausage and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

ARRANGE mushrooms on baking sheet; fill with spinach mixture, mounding slightly. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.

BAKE in preheated 400°F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese and mushrooms are lightly browned.
Serves: 12

o

Not a recipe but some info on cooking them.
High heat seems important like some of the recipes suggest, to get rid of the moisture quickly?
I've had some great ones and some rubbery ones.
I stopped trying but understand now what i was probably doing wrong...too low temp and letting them sit in juices.
Love them and nice to see good recipes.
I pared some roasted ones with caramelized onions and tossed in some cubed gorgonzola off the heat last week for a 'great American burger' topping.

I think i can add them to a beef stew again after giving up years ago because DH was picking them out...the slimy little rubber balls.

Here is a link that might be useful: roasting mushrooms and other veg

o

One of my oldest T&T recipes is for stuffed-mushroom caps. They are relatively easy to make a day or so ahead, and then you merely pop them in the oven for 10 minutes or so and serve them.

Bob's Magical Mushrooms
1 lb white mushrooms
12 oz cream cheese
3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp minced garlic
4 slices of provolone cheese
3 green onions (chopped fine)

Remove stem and cut away the lower half of the mushroom exposing the gills
Soften cream cheese in microwave, mix garlic and green onions into cream cheese.
Melt butter in small dish, mix in garlic
For each mushroom, spoon the cream cheese mixture into the mushroom, then dip the top into the butter, and place in a glass baking pan. Then cover the top of the cream cheese with provolone cheese.
The above amount should fill a 13x9 baking pan.

At this point you can refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 deg F
Bake for 10-12 minutes until the provolone is melted and the mushrooms are cooked.
Serve immediately.

One thought about your mushrooms getting soggy, I only ever use a mushroom brush to clean the mushrooms before making this dish. If you wash them off under running water, they will soak up water and are much more likely to be soggy.

o

I guess I do mine the hard way, but mine were always soggy. I use a recipe very similar to Sharon's recipe above but I bake the mushrooms a bit while sauteing the mushroom stems & onions. There is almost always some liquid in the mushroom caps that I add to the onions & cook some more. Seems to add a bit of flavor I think. Still, an extra step.

o

Oh, these recipes look so wonderful! I will follow the advice about high heat, as that seems to be key to avoiding sogginess.

Bacon, cheese, green onions. How can I go wrong? You guys are the best!

o

I always sauteed the caps briefly, 3 min.? (depends upon size and freshness) in butter before stuffing. Last Xmas eager to try a friend's and lo they were watery. No pre-saute.

o

I made my mushroom recipe from above for a Christmas party this past weekend. They received absolute rave reviews. I used 2 1/2 lbs of mushrooms, which made about 60 mushroom caps and they were all gone even before all of the guests arrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here