SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Merry , Merry Christmas to all

chase_gw
9 years ago

Merry Christmas to all my old , and new , CF friends.

Sitting by the fire, egg nog in hand...everything is done. Presents wrapped , groceries bought, baking ( as minimal as it was this year ) done.....all is well.

Tomorrow night will be quiet. Chris, Amity...with baby on board....for Christmas Eve dinner . Then the hordes arrive Christmas Day. Right now the count is between 18 and 22! As usual it will be bedlam but who would have it any other way!

Clean up Boxing Day and then we head South for three months !!!!!! YEAH !

What's up with the rest of you?

Comments (25)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

HAPPY Hanukkah, Merry Christmas to all!

In LA, celebrating both. Dinner with friends from Sony Entertainment.

dcarch

• KatieC
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Sharon!

Not doing much this year....no time. Everyone gets jam. I have to work tomorrow so Christmas Eve dinner will be leftovers, On Christmas day we'll go to The Kid's. She's invited friends and family to drop by. We'll munch on whatever finger foods we throw together that will be within their various dietary guidelines. She who would never help me decorate or un-decorate at the holidays says, "I want my house to explode with Christmas, Mom." lol.

I have a four day weekend over New Year's, though, and will make our traditional Christmas ham dinner then.

Fortunately we decided to do our staff Christmas party in January, so I have some extra time to get their gifts together.

• Related Discussions

Merry Christmas everyone.

Q

Comments (7)
    Merry Christmas. Glad you were able to get your garden going..nothing cheers the soul of a gardener like getting things to grow. Thanks for checking in and please do it more often. Jan..can I hitch a ride in the boot? Looks like you are having a good time.
    ...See More

Merry Christmas to All and to ALL A Butterfly Year!

Q

Comments (3)
    Merry Christmas to all of you! Thanks for a wonderful year of sharing. I look forward to a new year of new bfs and wonderful experiences and sharing times. Sandy
    ...See More

Merry Christmas to all and to all...

Q

Comments (5)
    Good morning, exhausted elves... And now, let the detox begin. Too much food, too much sugar, too much butter, too much wine and egg nog, and too much love and good will. No, wait, you can't have too much of that. But I always know the reveling is done when all I want in the world is a big bowl of steamed broccoli and a cup of tea... Today, it is raining and gray here in central Virginia, there is nothing on the calendar and no one in the guest room, the coffee is in the thermos, the leftovers are waiting in the fridge, the kitchen is relatively clean, and DH and the kitties are snoozing under and on the comforter. Bliss.
    ...See More

Merry Christmas to All!

Q

Comments (2)
    Merry Christmas from our house to yours. The tree is lit; the dogs' stockings are hung. Harry knows all about Christmas and Santa. The excitement level zoomed once he saw his stocking go up. We had our "Christmas Dinner" with neighbors today. Christmas Day it will be just DH, pups, and me. I plan on drinking lots of hot tea, watching the falling snow, and catching up on some movies. Merry Christmas to all!
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Here we're working on the "new" house. I've done a little baking, but not much. Christmas Eve will be spent attending the Christmas Eve church service locally and for some reason Elery wants to spend the night at the "new" house. We have exactly one bed and two tall stools there, along with a TV. My ovens and cooktop are working, as is the dishwasher, but no refrigerator and few cooking utensils.

So, I guess we'll sleep there. We'll have to pack a change of clothes for church, the gifts, bedding for the bed, toiletries, etc.

My family Christmas will be on December 28. I don't have any idea how many will attend. It'll be at the TownHall, sandwiches and cookies because that's all I can manage.

I'm definitely not in the mood for it this year and so we're not having a big dinner and I don't really care.

Annie

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas, Sharon and all!

Relatively quiet here. We've had a heck of a rollercoaster ride with my mom lately, but for the past few days - and as of a few hours ago - we're holding out hope that she'll be discharged tomorrow, in time to have a very calm Christmas Eve celebration forced upon her in the comfort of her own home. What more can a son ask for?

I'm hoping to cook some meal for someone somewhere along the line, but I'm not concerned about specifics at this point.

In the meantime UPS and FedEx trucks keep stopping by, assuring me that neither my wife nor Amazon Prime have forgotten about the kids.

Peace and happiness to all!

• KatieC
    9 years ago

I'm definitely not in the mood for it this year and so we're not having a big dinner and I don't really care.

I hear ya. I decided early on that I'd do what I could and not worry about it. A whole day without drama would be holiday enough for me, lol.

• compumom
    9 years ago

Katie, I couldn't have said it better! ROFLMAO!! AMEN!

Annie when do you actually have to leave the "old house"? A camping/sleepover sounds like it could be fun ;-) Does the house have heat?

Stumpy, I hope your Mom is discharged and is on the mend. I've been there with our parents and it's so unbelievably stressful. Glad to know that your DW has been supporting the economy!

Sharon, enjoy your celebration! I saw a crown roast of pork at our Whole Foods{{gwi:807}} today and thought of you and Clive. Beginning next year, Christmas will be about the grands!
    Merrry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and a very happy & healthy New Year to all!

This post was edited by compumom on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 0:54

• plllog
    9 years ago

A very happy holiday to you all!

Our big Hanukkah celebration was Saturday. Everyone keeps telling me what a great party it was but I can't figure out what in particular made it so. It's mostly the same people, though that has evolved a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe it's the babies? They got a lot of attention. I think it was just the people being in a good mood and happy to be here. It's late enough this year (post leap year) that a lot of folks are on vacation, and there's less traffic. It was chilly but fair out, so holiday-like without being icky. I wish I knew what it was, however, so I could try to repeat it. :)

Today, I got all the packages sent abroad. They're always late. No one cares about that. :) I'm just glad to have them done.

Tomorrow, I'm having some immediates (nine, I think) to dinner and gifts. Hanukkah will technically be over, but in childhood we had an extra day named after the Leader candle when we got the forgotten presents that were hidden in the back of the closet. :) I'm making one of my weird puddings for dinner, made from the party leftovers. :) And minestrone. Even if I don't manage that quintessential "It" I've been looking for, it'll for sure be good soup. :) The success of the gingerbread savory bread pudding might have made me too brave with these disparate leftovers... Wish me luck. :D

Merry Christmas!

• prairie_rose
    9 years ago

Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Three years ago, we decided to do away with big gifts, as both my kids were concentrating on trying to get new homes bought and built, a wedding, (maybe another one this year) etc. My kids have always loved their stockings, so that is what we do. I do the kids, they do Bobs and mine. $50 limit, no gift can be more than $5.00. I still do new pjs and slippers for them.

DD and SIL could not come East this year, so Momma went to BC and we had Christmas two weeks ago. This year it is DDIL turn to have Christmas with her family, so DS and DIL came here on Sunday. We did the stockings and had a ham dinner, played cards and did a lot of laughing.

Tomorrow, Bob and I are going to spend the day quietly at home, planning to do a roast duck, turkey being to much for the two of us. We don't get too far from home this time of year, have a foot of snow on the ground and are now feeding the cows, have to check and open all the water holes for them, It will be quiet, but nice.

Have a Great Christmas, everyone.

Darlene

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!!

Sharon, enjoy your southern holiday!

Our weather sucks, rain and mild temperatures, 10C. So a rainy, drizzly "green" Christmas. I like a white Christmas, so I'm going to Darlene (Prairie Rose's) house tomorrow!!

Christmas has dwindled to almost nil since Mom passed. Step-father doesn't want to host it anymore even though we all contribute. No one else wants to step up to the plate so hubby and I are having our own little Christmas, with a striploin and other goodies. Boxing day is at SIL for lasagna and I'm taking Caesar salad.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and a fantastic 2015!

This post was edited by jasdip on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 20:31

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Happy New Year, Hannukah, Christmas,.
    No tree or twinkle lights. Just peace and quiet. Staying up late, sleeping in...
    No gifts.
    After a fall season of too much work, since mid July.
    Cooked for charity and raised over 900$ so that has been my focus the last month.
    For CityHarvest.
    Finally we are both feeling rested.
    Having chili hot dogs tonight, lol. (good ones with DH homemade buns!)
    17 days off, now 14...visit family monday...potential drama, as always, : )
    I'll stay busy cooking for all, ... that keeps me out of the gunfire.
    Planning foods for mom and dad. Food is a great gift. Started my list.
    A big giant harvest lasagna! Taking my food saver to freeze the leftovers for them.
    Teach him my sprouted grain bread and have 'kits' prepped so he can make it himself.
    Made a big batch of tamales, frozen, to take along. He loves them. Had them as a poor child growing up in Tennessee.
    My meyer lemons are ripe i think!
    After much stress keeping this thing alive through flowering and leaf-drop...
    a Christmas gift itself me thinks. Our Christmas tree.

• prairie_rose
    9 years ago

jasdip, you are welcome to come out and roll in the snow. If you have snowshoes or x country ski's bring them along too. It's been hovering around 0 C so it's perfect for working up an appetite. :-p

• craftyrn
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays all
    And wishes for a healthy & happy New Year !
    We had our family Christmas party here (as usual various kids insisted) this past Sunday-- only 31 of us this go round ( well 31 & 2/3- another GGC due in March)--bunch from NC & Fld couldn't make it , 3 from here had to work -- as always had too much food but lots of laughs & good cheer -- & wonder of wonders everyone talking to each other & no drama !
    And tho I enjoyed the get together I am really bah humbug about the Holidays this year.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

We grilled chicken breasts on the BGE this afternoon along with potatoes and Habaneros and ripe jalapenos, so that I could make some more Habanero sauce. We have a lot of red ripe chilies in the yard right now, and that makes if feel like Christmas. I also have a lot of ripe Meyer lemons, and so I made a Ranch dressing with fresh lemon juice, dill, garlic, etc. for our Christmas Eve dinner salad. I always used to take lemons to my mother at Christmas time.

Tomorrow we will Skype with our niece and relatives in Texas. Kevin has to work the day after Christmas, but at least he no longer has to go to Agoura Hills.

I made Habanero dill pickles for friends at work and for Kevin's employees, and they seemed to like them.

Lars

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

I wish all a very Merry Christmas, even if you don't feel like it this year. I will admit I had a hard also this year getting into the festivities. Not even sure why...but all is done now, so it is time to relax.

This evening was just Dad and I, with a seafood spread of shrimps, octopus salad and a seafood casserole. I did make some fruitcakes this year that are yummy if I can brag and have eaten more than my share of cookies from a close friend. Tomorrow we will be at a friends house, all 40 of us. Chaos for sure, but fun. Friday I may hit some sales, or just veg out.

So why are so many of us humbuggy this year???

Peppi

• maggie2094
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas!!!

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. The whole family is here now ( 11 extras ) and I hear quiet talking so I must not be the only one up this Christmas morning. It won't be long before people will be wanting breakfast. And later I'll be putting into practice some of the good info gained from you all in preparing this evening's Feast.

Best to you all! Kate

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

We are at DS & DIL's until Sunday. YAY!!! Dinner tonight will be Cajun turkey. We are so blessed. Santa Claus was very good to us this year (we must have REALLY pulled the wool over his eyes LOL.) I hope that all of you are enjoying your day today.
    Edie

• sally2_gw
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone! We're having a nice quiet Christmas with the house to ourselves, which very rarely happens. That's a great Christmas present. I'm slowly working on making Sharon's spinach enchiladas for our dinner. Growing up, my family did a Mexican themed dinner for Christmas Eve, but we've moved that to Christmas day since the kids aren't here. I don't think too many will actually be hungry, though, as they're having a big dinner at the other parent's house today.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays!

Sally

• ann_t
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

~Ann

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

I'm late in wishing you all a very merry Christmas / holiday and hope you all have a happy and healthy 2015. We're in Cornwall England celebrating with my daughter and her family. Heaven. We're in for a stormy return trip over the Channel tomorrow night.
    Take care everyone.

• John Liu
    9 years ago

Belated Merry Christmas to all.

Especially to Triciae, who was on my mind a lot this holiday and will be during future holidays. Dear Wonder Woman, I hope you are doing well, where ever you are. Thank you for showing me what courage and strength and kindness are.

We drove down to the Bay Area for the holidays. Christmas Eve we had dinner with our good friends in Berkeley, raw oysters with mignonette, cracked crab, and the traditional Buche de Noel. Last night we had dinner with other good friends in Richmond, tenderloin, mashed potatoes and a warm cauliflower-brussel sprout salad. I made half of the tenderloin, cut pieces 1" thick and tied them into rounds, pan cooked, with a sauce of reduced white balsamic vinegar, Muscat wine, shallots and garlic, butter, sauteed mushroom stems, blended smooth, then simmered over whole mushroom caps. No recipe, just made it up. Our hostess roasted the rest of the tenderloin with a red wine and shallot reduction. We were supervised by a friend who is a head chef at a large hotel and, for the first time in many years, didn't have to work on Christmas day, but was nonetheless pressed into service which he did with good humour.

I've been negotiating a stressful matter at work for the past few weeks. As of Dec 24, we were uncertain whether our little business unit would be shut down and I had prepared myself to be jobless come Jan 1st. That all got resolved satisfactorily at noon on Christmas Eve, final document review pending, so for the first time in a month, I was able to relax and unclench. It was nice.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Happy unclenching, John and enjoy your continued employment.

Christmas was quiet, just my mom, my son, me and a telephone that didn't stop ringing all day. The onslaught begins today with the arrival of my BIL and his wife, Niece #3 and her family for lunch and then staying over (dinner with BIL's other side of the family for them). They leave Saturday and Niece #1 arrives with family and leaves Monday.

Quiet New Year's Eve and then bring on the weight loss commercials. Sigh.

Wishing you all a happy new year.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Well, I am really really late to the party, but I wanted to say I hope all had a fantastic Christmas!

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays to all my virtual friends! I've been keeping up with your Christmas reports, I just didn't have anything out of the ordinary to post.

I hosted the Annual Family Christmas Brunch, it was small relative to other years - 21- but it was really fun. Beau wanted hot chocolate which we have never had at the get-togethers so I explored recipes for the crockpot; Beau graded it A+.

I didn't have a tree this year because I gave my 10' pre-lite to a family who didn't have anything. In lieu of a traditional tree, I decorated the bamboo tree and put presents in the sleigh.

*John, I'm glad it worked out. When I got laid off my last day was Dec 31; kind of hard to have a Merry Christmas.

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

double post

{{gwi:2135859}}

This post was edited by mustangs on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 11:24

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler