Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baked Ham

Posted by olga_6b (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 20:50

Doy you have a good recipe for baked ham WITHOUT honey, maple syrup, sugar or any other sweet ingridients? I would like to prepare bone in ham for Christmas.
Thank you.
Olga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baked Ham

Rub the surface of the ham with dry mustard....must be Coleman's.....anything else is bitter....mix the dry mustard with a bit of white wine and smear over the top.
For a good sized half ham plan on 1/4 cup mustard to 2 T dry white wine.
Linda C

o

Linda, thank you. What temperature you suggest to use for baking?
Olga

o

You can also mix the mustard with some dark rum. I like to bake hams at 325 degrees.

o

Or you could mix some orange juice, apple juice, or other juice with the mustard -- unless that's too sweet for the taste you're looking for. I think the juice adds nice flavor and a bit of sweetness without sugar.

I've never made ham glaze with white wine, but that sounds really good too. I'm going to try that soon.

o
RE: Baked Ham without sugar

Ooh, rum sounds good too. Haven't tried that yet either.

o

I also bake a ham at 325.
There are lots of good things you can pour over a ham while it bakes....most of which are at least somewhat sweet. if you think you need more liquid....coffee or beer are good without any sweetness.
Linda C

o

Cook it as is and baste it with its own juices. Eat and enjoy the HAM, not the sugar. If you need all that sugar for your meal, eat a bowl of Maple Loops!

I can occasionally stomach a little pineapple on ham but again, I'm more of a purist. A good smoky ham doesn't need to be covered up with goop. BLECH! Leave the goop for dessert and enjoy a savory main course. Leftovers will be great for sandwiches, and mixed into other meals too where the sugar glopped stuff won't.

o

Cynic, I don't see where anyone suggested trying to cover the ham with sugary goop, nor did the OP request it so ranting seems to be unwarranted.

o

Last week I cooked a couple of ham hocks then removed the skin, and put them in an oven dish with most of a bottle of perry, some mustard, a little maple syrup and some lemon juice. I turned them every five minutes for about half an hour until the sauce was a nice thick glaze. Not too sweet at all and very tasty. I don't have a sweet tooth so I can understand why people rebel a bit about over-sweetened savoury food.

o

Personally I don't think they need anything at all. We don't like the sweetness they seem to think is necessary these days to make a good ham...my Mom never ever put anything on her ham and that's good enough for me, they have a great taste without added ANYTHING. Bake at 325 until internal temp reaches 140 for a fully cooked ham.

o

Thank you for great suggestions, everybody. Special thanks to Linda. I strongly prefer to avoid any sweetness. Sweetness in ham does not agree with my taste at all, even a little of swetness is a deal breaker for me. I will try some mustard and S/P. I like to feel ham tase as is.

Olga

o

Like Ken, and Arkansas girl, I'm a purist. I cook a bone in ham a few times a year. I just place it in a roasting pan, cover and bake at 325°F until tender. No need to add any liquid either.

If you love the flavour of ham,there is no need to add anything.

Ann

o

As far as the sweet glazes as concerned, I can take them or leave them. When I was growing up, my mother would serve her ham naked, but with a hot mustard sauce on the side. Just one of her many recipes I wish I now had. And, my favorite side with ham...a baked sweet potato with lots of butter and a little brown sugar.

o

If you think there will be people at your dinner that think ham has to have sweet all over it, you could make a glaze to put on the side for those that want to put that on their ham. Just a thought.

o

Thanks, there will be my extendend family only (10-12 people), but lucky to me nobody likes sweet ham :). I am quite safe here. We all are purists.

Olga

o

Ann mentioned roasting pan. I don't think my roasting pan is big enough. I was planning to do it on a rack. Is roasting pan necessary to have a juicy result?
Thank you again.
Olga

o

Olga, I'm confused by your question. When you say on a rack what are you speaking of? You will need to have some sort of roasting pan to collect the juice or otherwise you would have a fire in your oven. How big of a ham is this?

o

Sure, I just don't have roasting pan with cover, as Ann mentioned. I have big roasting pan with a rack. The one I use to roast Turkey and other big things, but it can only be covered by foil.
Olga

o

Your good to go. Just put the ham in the roasting pan and cover with foil. You don't need to worry about using the rack with it.

o

Thank you very much. Will do :)

o

Just want to report that I baked ham as recommended at 325 covered with foil at the beginning and w/o foil during the last 40 min to have a nice crust. It was very juicy and tasted great. I only used salt, pepper and some garlic.
THANK YOU very much.
Olga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here