Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate bread....be still my heart!!!!!

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 20:37

So...I was in Wal Mart today...( Yeah I know! But I needed to do some kid toy shopping....and that's the only place in this berg) And they were sampling some chocolate bread....made in their bakery, I guess. It was heaven!! Of course I bought a loaf.....and now to make my own version.
I have a recipe containing some dried fruit and chunks of bitter sweet chocolate....lots of chunks....but this just had a few chips in it....no fruit and was sweet-ish...but not as sweet as a cinnamon roll or a sticky bun.
The ingredients list, wheat flour, barley malt, honey, chocolate liquer, cocoa powder and chocolate chips.....and water and yeast etc...
Who's got a recipe for me to start with?
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate bread....be still my heart!!!!!

I made this bread when I got the book. Very good, not sweet. Then I used the last loaf in a chocolate bread pudding... Out of this world.

From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,

Chocolate Bread

Makes two 1 1/2 -pound loaves. The recipe is easily doubled or halved.

4 ounces premium bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (or 2 packets)
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sugar
5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup premium unsweetened cocoa powder
5 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate

butter or neutral-tasting oil for greasing the cookie sheet
Making the ganache: Melt the 4-ounces of chocolate and athe butter in a double-bouler or microwave until chocolate is melted. Blend together and set aside.

Mix the yeast, salt, eggs, and honey with the water in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded food container.

Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, ganache, and the 5 ounces of chocolate without kneading, using a spoon, a 14-cup capacity food processor (with dough attachment), or a heavy-duty stand mixer (with dough hook). If you're not using a machine, you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of flour.

Cover (not airtight), and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.

The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days. Beyond 5 days, freeze the dough in 1-pound portions in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. When using frozen dough, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using, then allow the usual rest and rise time.

On baking day, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Dust the surface of hte refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1 1/2 pound (canteloupe-size) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and quickly shpe it into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.

Allow the ball the rest and rise on the prepared cookie sheet for 1 hour and 40 minutes (or just 40 minutes if you're using fresh, unrefrigerated dough). Paint with egg wash

Preheat oven to 350�F.

Place the bread in the center of the oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in baking time.

Remove from pan. Allow to cool before slicing or eating.

Nancy

o

OMG.....mega chocolate....half a pound of bitter sweet and a cup of cocoa!!
Sounds yummy....If a bit richer and more Briosh-like than I am imagining.
Imagine that dough made into cinnamon buns??

o

Here is another.

Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chocolate Cherry Bread
======================
Posted by Carol:

Chocolate-Cherry Bread
Recipe from: Chocolate! Good Housekeeping Favorite Recipes
By The Editors of Good Housekeeping
Cookbook Heaven
A not-too-sweet bread studded with bits of bittersweet chocolate and (tried tart cherries. We use Dutch-process cocoa instead of the more usual natural cocoa to give the bread a richer brown color.

Prep: 20 minutes plus rising
Bake: 20 minutes
Makes 2 loaves, 12 slices each

1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)

1 package active dry yeast

1 tablespoons granulated sugar

About 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1-3/4 teaspoons salt

1 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled until warm (105 to 115 degrees F)

4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened

1 large egg, separated

3/4 cup dried tart cherries

3 squares (3 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon water

In cup, combine warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cocoa, brown sugar, and salt.

With wooden spoon, stir warm coffee, butter, egg yolk (cover egg white and set aside in refrigerator), and yeast mixture into flour mixture. In bowl, with floured hands, knead several times to combine well.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour just to keep dough from sticking. Knead in cherries and chocolate.

Shape dough into ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) until doubled in volume, about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Punch down dough.Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and cut in half; cover dough and let rest 15 minutes for easier shaping.

Shape each dough half into 5-inch ball. Using the sides of your hands, tuck sides of dough under to meet in center. Rotate and repeat to form taut ball. Place balls, 3-inches apart, in opposite corners of ungreased large cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In cup, beat reserved egg white with water; use to brush tops of loaves. Sprinkle loaves with remaining 2 teaspoons granulated sugar. With serrated knife or single-edge razor blade, cut shallow X in top of each loaf.

Bake until loaves are crusty, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

o

Yum! I bet that would make a great peanut-butter sandwich!

o

Ann that's the one I have in my file...
How would it be if I left out the cherries? And maybe subbed 3 oz of ghiardelli chocolate chips for the chopped chocolate?
Also thinking a whiff of cinnamon and 1@ tsp vanilla would add....

o

I love brioche with chocolate chips.

o

Linda, the recipe I posted makes 2 loaves. So, if you were to cut it in half, then it wouldn't sound like so much chocolate.

Oh dear....I feel a BB (bread binge) coming on...

o

I have one similar to Nancy's from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day and it is amazing. So good I have made it once and don't want to do so again until I have someone to share it wtih. It is sit down and eat the loaf alone in one sitting delicious. But a lot of the loaves in those books are.

Kate

o

Linda, I would like it even better with more chocolate minus the cherries.

Ann

o

I don't have a recipe, but a girl that used to work where I work brought a loaf of sourdough bread to work one day that was divine. It was a dark bread, and tasted like it had a hint of chocolate. It was rich, not very sweet, and oh, so good. I wish I had gotten the recipe from her, but when she said it was a sourdough bread, I dismissed it. Stupidly, I let that intimidate me. Now, I would have kindly asked her for a bit of starter from her sour dough, and asked for the recipe. Live and learn. By the way, I called her a girl because she was a teenager at the time. It makes me happy when teenagers are interested in baking.

Sally

o

See, now, this is why I want to learn how to bake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here