SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

iPad in the kitchen

CA Kate z9
11 years ago

Do any of you have your recipes on an iPad and then read the recipe off the IPad while you're cooking? If you do, what do you use to hold it up for reading? WmSonoma has a holder, but. It's expensive and I'm not sure how well it works.

Comments (31)

• bcskye
    11 years ago

My DH just gave me an IPad as my early Christmas present. I was thinking about how I was going to download some cookbooks on it plus my favorite recipes to use not only here at home, but in the motorhome. He bought a cover for it that gives you the ability to have it sitting up like a laptop and at other angles which really solves that problem. We got the cover at our local Verizen store.

• blubird
    11 years ago

I have a stand from Case Logic for my ipad. The best advice I can give you, though, is to put your ipad into a plastic bag so that your messy fingers don't touch the screen.

I bought mine in Wegmans for under $5.

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: Case logic stand

• Related Discussions

Hoping 2011 is my year

Q

Comments (3)
    You must have heard me wondering about you, because you've come to mind a few times just recently. I'm so glad to see you back...and VERY glad to hear your kitchen is making such major progress!! Will a semi-flush fixture do, or are the ceilings too high for that, also? Welcome Back...Happy 2011...and...Can't wait to see the pictures!
    ...See More

First real meal in our new kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    Yum!. And your pan looks so nice sitting on your stove with the beautiful BS framing it all in the background! We cooked our 2nd meal on our new stove tonight, including baked potatoes in the oven - first time I've done that in years. I had to hop online for a recipe as I didn't have a clue as to temp and time. And, we included our GC as he's here tonight - right now - installing our BS!! I'm so excited!
    ...See More

'Why your kitchen wants its own iPad'

Q

Comments (30)
    Yes, there are innumerable PDF readers for ipad. I prefer goodreader myself, but there are dozens to choose from. Not sure what you mean by "not compatible with adobe". You can't run any desktop program on any tablet (from any maker) because they use a different operating system, but Adobe has quite a number of programs for ipad, including ones that let you use the ipad to control the desktop version of PS. iPads don't do Flash, but that's not much of an issue anymore. For large commercial sites that still have flash content on their web pages there's often an app you can download that lets you view their content on the ipad.
    ...See More

iPad design app?

Q

Comments (2)
    I find RoomPlanner to be quite easy. And for I think 1.99 you can add ability to type in sizes and height (vs dragging length/width, which gets frustrating). I've had very good experiences planning my kitchen and great room with it, as well as playing with other people's rooms when helping on threads here.
    ...See More
  • Virginia7074
    11 years ago

I have one of those ancient, low-tech acrylic cookbook holders that I use for my Nook. What can I say - it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ancient Low-Tech Acrylic Cookbook Holder

• compumom
    11 years ago

I agree with Virgina, but have yet another couple of suggestions. We have 2 stands.--
    The Mophie Charging stand is pricey but fantastic. It's metal, it raises the iPad up at a higher level and is very stable. My other new love is my Logitech bluetooth keyboard. Not only a keyboard, but a stand as well.
    Geez, don't I sound like a commercial? "But wait...Buy now and we'll throw in another free...LOL!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Mophie Powerstand

• Lars
    11 years ago

I prefer to print recipes onto a piece of paper. Then I can move that piece of paper wherever I want, and I often attach it to the side of the fridge. I like to write on the paper with a pencil when I make revisions, and then I still have the original recipe with the easily identifiable revisions. I would not feel comfortable with an electronic pad in my kitchen, but then I never felt the need to get an ipad. I have more electronic gadgets now than I know how to use.

Lars

• User
    11 years ago

I keep all my recipes on my iPad. I transfer them from my computer using "Documents to Go". I save recipes, either copy and paste to Word, or save them as a pdf file. And I can listen to music at the same time.

I stand it up on the counter and start cooking. I like not having to print and then throw out paper. And I like being able to search the web while I'm cooking if I have questions about the recipe. If necessary, I'll put it in a plastic baggie.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I don't have an iPad, but did see this online. If anyone is interested. At least I found it interesting when I came across it last week.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fridge magnet to hold an iPad

• bbstx
    11 years ago

I use my iPad in the kitchen all the time. I use Pepperplate to organize and store my recipes.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Do consider the following:

1. Magnetic holders may not work on stainless steel refrigerators.

2. There are serveral touch screen technologies used for iPad type of devices. Many use very thin transparent electrically conductive coatings to sense touch. Make sure that your kitchen practices will not create problems for the touch screen.

dcarch

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

They don't work on stainless steel at all. Reason number 293 I hate SS and will never have it again.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Great to read about sites to store recipes. I just keep mine on Google Drive (formerly Documents). I don't have a tablet so I set up my laptop on the kitchen table. Not ideal.

Lars, I have a number of recipes that I have printed out. I hold them up with a magnet on my OTR microwave. That works best of all. I also like writing comments on my recipes and do that in cookbooks, too. I guess we are just old school!

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

My DBIL set up a digital photo frame for my DSIL with her recipes on it. I haven't heard how well it works. I would have the iPad a mess.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

My wife use's it almost exclusively she has about 200+ recipes on it in her "dropbox" app.
    I pretty much never use recipes so don't usually bother with it.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

All my recipes are on my iPad, Goggle docs.

The cover I have (Apple) is also a stand. If I am making something messy, I slip the whole thing in a clear zip lock bag.

ML

• jvanderh
    11 years ago

I second the suggestion of using a plastic bag. . . do as I say, not as I do. . . wiping it off with a towel every so often is not as good :-D

• moosemac
    11 years ago

I put all my recipes in Dropbox. I can access them from my IPad and DD can access them from her Droid Xoom or phone or laptop. Easy peasy.....

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks one and all. RIght now I'm like Lars and dedtired with recipes printed in BIG print so I can read them without my glasses. :-D I just think it would be so easy to just call-up a recipe and have it right there with no printing, etc.
    Maybe I should take one of the Apple courses on using the iPad before I do recipes since some of you are talking about programs I don't recognize.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I have a 20" all-in-one PC in on the kitchen desk. I enlarge the screen view and can read it from anywhere in the kitchen. Love it.

• bons
    11 years ago

I use my older laptop - a Macbook. I use a program called YummySoup for my recipes. It has a 'full screen' option so the recipes are easy to read while I'm cooking/baking.

I can also access my recipes on my iPad or iPhone which is helpful at the store when I forget my shopping list. :-)

Bonnie

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Bonnie, I'll have to give YummySoup a try. Mine are just in MS Word.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

mustangs,
    Look at PepperPlate.com, too. I've been using it for several years. I have it on my laptop, my iPad, and my Android phone. Some recipe websites are set up so that you do not have to enter the recipe. You just click on a bookmarklet that you have previously installed on your bookmark bar and the recipe is automatically copied over to PepperPlate. Or you can manually copy and paste to enter a recipe, or type it in.

My daughter has my User ID and my password. If she needs one of my recipes, she just signs in to get it.

There are other functions like shopping list and a menu planner, but I've never used them.

• bons
    11 years ago

Mustangs - I like YummySoup overall. I tried a couple of other programs but I find YS easiest to use - especially for importing recipes from online and scaling recipes (which I do a lot).

It's one guy who developed it - and I hate to say it but he's a jerk. Makes feature promises that never happen, sometimes doesn't respond to support requests, and blocks people from posting on his Facebook page if they make the slightest negative or critical comment about YS.

I wish I like a different program better, but I don't.

Bonnie

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

May I suggest you back up your recipes often on an external hard drive...and print them out, too.

For years I've kept most of my recipes on my Dell laptop. I do back up reasonably often. And I often print out the recipe to take to the kitchen with me. Then I slip the printed copy in a file with other printed recipes. (Someday I'll organize them into a notebook.)

Anyway, my Dell died unexpectedly and I switched to a Mac so my backed up recipe files are not yet reachable. I'm so grateful I have lots of print copies to depend on.

Just had to contact my sis in law about a recipe I needed. Grateful for sis in laws who keep their recipe files up to date, too. :0)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I just got my WS catalog; they have a stand and other accessories for the kitchen iPad.

I download my recipes (and other documents) to uploadingit.com. I can access the files from any PC.

Here is a link that might be useful: iPad Holder

• cynic
    11 years ago

I'm a paper person too when it comes to recipes. Used to use a folding copy stand from the typewriter days to hold the recipes and/or recipe/cookbook(s). Sometimes hang it from a cabinet door. Lately I've used the magnet on the frig. And when I was having printer issues I just hand wrote the things. Sort of the semi-neo-luddite in me. I didn't think about using the tablet in the kitchen but that's a possibility, though it'd definitely go in a plastic bag! Or bring a notebook in there and have a much larger screen which I'd prefer. And less hassle transferring data over to it.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I'm a paper person too, since I have neither a laptop nor an iPad. I don't have a tablet either, although Elery has a small notebook computer. I hate it and refuse to touch it, the keyboard is impossible and the screen is too small to see anything on anyway.

I don't have a computer of any kind in the kitchen so if the recipe is short I pull it up on the computer in the living room and just try to remember what it said, LOL. I can go back and check if I need to.

Elery has a Kindle Fire, though, and so I've been looking at all these stands, he'd probably like one, so thanks for starting the thread.

Annie

• compumom
    11 years ago

I perused the WM catalog last evening and thought that the iPad stand looked awesome! I especially liked the plastic screen cover. I need that for the kitchen. My only question is will the screen stay lit or do you have to keep punching the home button and swiping the screen to re-light the recipe? Does anyone know?

• bons
    11 years ago

You can set the iPad's autolock time to Never while you need your recipe displayed. Then it won't dim/go to sleep.

Bonnie

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I immediately thought of that youtube video of grandpa using his ipad as a cutting board and then putting it in the dishwasher!

• bons
    11 years ago

LOL. One of my favorite videos!

Bonnie

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I love the Rain Stand for the iPad but made it too tall to put into a cabinet and in the way on the counter.
    I ogled the WS stand with music - but same problems.
    I was in BBB and found an stand for $14.99 and with the $5.00 coupon - only $10.00!
    It is made by Merkury.
    I open one cabinet by the fridge when I am baking and balance the stand on the trim wood and the bottom of the cabinet and it is at eye level.
    It folds up to be flat and I have also been using it for a travel stand for my Nook.