SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Uses for leftover prime rib?

annie1992
13 years ago

OK, I cooked too much beef, I know. We had a prime rib at Elery's, and we also had stromboli and ravioli, salad, bread, vegetables, dessert, way too much food. The end result was quite a lot of leftover prime rib.

I have about a dozen "steaks", cut about 1/2 inch thick and already cooked to medium/medium well. I've thought of making chili like doucanoe, or stirfry some with broccoli, or make a pot pie.

Any other ideas on how to use up leftover prime rib? It's already too well done for my tastes, so I'm gonna have to put it IN something, I guess.

Of course, if all else fails, Cooper is loving it, but it seems a shame to give him the whole thing...

Annie

Comments (35)

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Ann T's Minestrone looks really good. I would imagine some of the leftover rib would be quite good in soup.

Teresa

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'd freeze them and serve with gravy for someone who likes well done meat. Or, eat them yourself and think of it as pot roast. I would not chop them up into chili or stew, too sacred.

• Related Discussions

3 lb Prime Rib

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi cookie, I had the same question not long ago. I put the link below. I used caliloo's recipe and deborah_ps's method. It came out wonderful. Our roast was about 3 1/2 pounds and we got 6 or 7 servings out of it. Since my roast was smaller, I checked on it after it had been cooking at 200 for 50 minutes (see deborah's post). It was already at 130 degrees so I took it out right then. I loosely tented it after 20 minutes (I didn't want it to go above 130) and let it sit for one hour as it was ready faster than I thought it would be and I still had sides to make. I think that medium well would be a mistake, but that's just my opinion. I prefer to err on the side of undercooked rather than overcooked. If it's too raw then I would just warm it in the toaster oven if necessary to cook further. But, let it rest first. I hope you have a meat thermometer. Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes and cooking methods
    ...See More

Prime Rib for a Crowd ?

Q

Comments (14)
    Jaybird........here is my grandmother's hamloaf recipe! I am happy to share it. It is a favorite of my family and if my grandmother were alive, she would be 109! She was a GREAT cook and I inherited her personal cookbook with even recipes for all the shortages during the war!!!! Ham Loaf: 2 lbs. ground lean pork 2 lbs. ground lean ham 2 eggs 1 1/2 cups milk 2 cups crushed graham crackers Mix and shaape into a loaf. Put into a WELL(I found out the hard way) greased(or "Pam"ed) loaf pan. Ham loaf topping: 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard 1/2 cup vinegar 1 can tomato soup Mix and pour over loaf. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. I usually double this and make two loaves. Just love it leftover too!! And for the prime rib, I don't use any rubs or anything. I just stick it in a roasting bag(the kind for turkeys) and bake until internal temp is about 145. With the Reynolds bags there is a chart to use.....but you can find tons of recipes for rubs and sauces to serve with it online. The one above with horseradish and sour cream sounds wonderful. My SO just uses horseradish, but I might just doctor it up this year!!! Whatever you do, don't be intimidated by a standing rib roast or prime rib. THey are just another type of roast!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!! Julie
    ...See More

My $60 prime rib is spoiled!

Q

Comments (18)
    gsciencechickl good find! She says she got an additional guarantee back too; I wonder if it was double as it should have been. For something like this; I'd also consider writing to corporate. Hopefully there is a cashier name on the new receipt or a way to tell who the person was because I would report them. I reported an Avon lady this year after she accused me of lying about a message she sent to me via facebook. I was looking in the "other" folder where FB puts what would be spam messages & found her message to me there. I explained the reply was 2 months late because I never check the spam folder; she called me a liar because she knows FB doesn't have a "spam" folder. When I told her where it was; she never said she was sorry. Reporting her did no good as they're independent reps; apparently Avon doesn't care how they treat customers. I've yet to respond back to Avon about how sad it is but eventually will.
    ...See More

In a rut - leftover prime rib?

Q

Comments (13)
    If you have leftover bones this is a finger licking good way to use them up. Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Thu, Dec 19, 02 at 11:20 This isn't the answer to your question but be sure to save the bones and the next night, you can have Devilled Beef Bones for dinner. Rub bones with cut garlic cloves, then sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and rub it in. Spread on both sides with a spicy good-quality prepared mustard. Roll ribs in fine dry bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crumbs form a crispy coating and meat is warmed through. Serve with plenty of napkins. David
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    13 years ago

Annie, you know that I don't like leftovers. Especially recooked into something else. So the last thing I would do with left over prime rib is to turn it into chili or soup.
    Too bad the PR wasn't cooked to rare the way that you normally cook your beef. Then i would have suggested giving each slice a quick grill over high heat. Just enough to warm through without over cooking past medium rare.
    It is too bad the slices were all precut. I would have got out my big slicer and shaved the rare beef and made beef dip sandwiches.

Ann

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

At the restaurant, we used to use up leftover prime rib in sandwiches...A steak, grilled on a hot grill just to put char marks on it and heat it through, topped with melted Swiss cheese, grilled onions & mushrooms, and served open faced on a good, chewy bread. Or, thinly slice the meat and make French Dip sandwiches. You could freeze the beef for later use in both of these preparations.

Roast beef hash...yum....also can be made quite well using frozen, precooked beef. Next time you have guests for brunch, that'll wow them.

Beef & Gravy on toast or noodles. Quick-made Burgundy beef, using gravy laced with red wine, sauteed mushrooms and cubes of prime rib.

Beef pot pies...individually, they freeze quite well for use some evening when you just don't really want to cook.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann, my first thought was that I really screwed up when I sliced that whole piece of meat. Sigh.

I would have done it much more rare, but Elery's daughter informed the room at large that she would gag if she had to see blood running on anyone's plate, so Elery told me to leave it in a bit longer. That's probably why we have leftovers, it was too well done for some of us, and not well done enough for others, even the very center was only medium rare.

If the slices were rare I could have reheated them carefully in hot broth and been OK with it, but instead I have a couple of pounds of already overcooked beef.

Do you think I could turn it into a passable strogonoff and send it out to David and Amanda? Dave likes beef really well done...

Then again, maybe I could just send the steaks out there and let Amanda give them a quick sear in a hot pan, I wonder how tough they would get?

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

So what would you do with it Ann? Would you throw it out?
    I'm just curious- this is not a criticism!
    I cover everything with plastic wrap, wait two weeks, then throw it out!
    Sometimes I freeze it first, then throw it out when I defrost.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

You could maybe do a stir fry beef & broccoli and add the strips of cooked beef just at the end to warm them.

Beef stew would be good....again, adding the already cooked beef at the end.

Tim likes to slice the cooked beef very thin, fry a bit in butter and make a steak sandwich. (But he can get away with that because he has the metabolism of a hummingbird.)

Bumblebeez, why would you bother covering or freezing, and saving food that you are going to throw out? Maybe I misunderstood ....

Even on sale the PR was expensive and I plan to use as much of the leftovers as possible. I think Vegetable Beef Soup would be another good option.

Linda

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Bumblebeez, Since I don't have an Amanda to give it to, I would either give it to my neighbour who prefers his beef more well done than we do, and takes leftovers to work for his lunch, or I would toss it.

If I froze it, it would still be there until the next time I cleaned out my freezer. I never freeze cooked meats. I just do not care for leftovers with a few exceptions.

Ann

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

We love making philly cheese steaks from leftover prime rib. onions, peppers, oozy melted cheese and some steak seasoning...mmmm.. Sooo good, especially on home made sub rolls.. I freeze each steak individually, and just take out one every now and then to use for the PCSS....

Carolyn

• lindac
    13 years ago

I have a serious amount of prime rib left over...It has been gently warmed for a couple of lunches, sliced cold and dipped in horsey sauce for snackies...on an occasion when no "dinner was planned" and there is enough for my lunch tomorrow with....perhaps an impromptu sauce of some sort.
    No way in hell would I toss it out even if over cooked. It might be ground up for a sandwich spread or for a roast beef hash, or just warmed in an aujus....but I sure wouldn't toss it!!

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Annie, I like steaks and this sort of meat very rare too. My first thought was steak sandwiches but I like your stroganoff idea too. For the stroganoff I'd cut the outsides off all the slices and make a nice beef broth from them for the base. Then I'd do like I'd do for the steak sandwiches too and slice them quite thin as much against the grain on the slices as I could and at an angle like you'd do flank steak, to get a wider slice. With either dish you'd put the meat in at the last minute, like everyone else said, just to heat. For David, you could put it in a minute more. Smiles. For the steak sandwiches, toss them in the pan after the onions and peppers are ready. Ground as a spread is good too. A bit of mayo hides a lot of sins and since you like that jezebel stuff [ don't like horseradish at all..lol], you might like a bit of horseradish in the spread. I've ground up overdone meats in the food processor and made them into pretty tasty spreads. Not rare meat, but, pretty good. Good luck. I agree Cooper is a wonderful, gorgeous dog but...lol.

• velamina
    13 years ago

Annie, if you feel that you don't want to use so much of it right away Shepherds pie freezes pretty well. I wish I had your dilemma :)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

More ideas.

Cut into thin narrow strips, marinate, and use in a stirfry. The thin pieces won't be so chewy.

Cut and marinate similarly, and dry into jerky.

Pulverize in food processor and make a nice beef stock.

Chop and incorporate into Philly steak sandwiches.

Use in a tomato meat sauce.

In general, applications where the meat is chopped, diced, or minced should be okay even for somewhat overdone meat.

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

It can be chopped/ground into bbq beef? I've sliced up leftover roast and used it that way... looks disturbingly like Alpo.

Dolly advises dog food is the best option... just in case you need to second Cooper's opinion.

: )
    lyra

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Annie, I know what you mean about overcooked beef. Blech. I had noting but bones left from mine, so those became the deviled bones. Nice but not sure I would do them again.

What about a pot of RiverRats chili with beans of course?

Lyra, Alpo. Thanks for the early nmorning laugh.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

Annie - I have cut leftover prime rib into chunks and put them in vegetable soup, making it vegetable "beef" soup and used beef broth as the base. Include some tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes along with whatever your other favorites are for that kind of soup. It's always tasty and has never offended anyone who ate it. Freezes well too.

seagrass

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Peppi, like you I'm grinning, thinking Alpo and I haven't even had breakfast, thanks, Michael/Lyra. I think Cooper and Dolly would get along great, they think alike: Yeah, prime rib for the dog, I'm a good dog, see how cute, give it to me! Maybe they'd invite Dylan for lunch too.

Seagrass, a wintger vegetable type of soup might be just the ticket for this weekend, Mother is coming over on Friday so I can send her pictures in to be developed, I really shouldn't have gotten her a digital camera. She could take home leftovers. Yeah, I like that idea a LOT.

coconut, I think that steak sandwich idea is a very good one, and both the kids like steak too, so with just cheese for them, mushrooms and onions for Amanda and Dave, that would sure get rid of some of it. I've never ground up cooked beef, now there's an "Alpo" thought, LOLOLOL.

Some chili, some shepherd's pie (which Ashley just loves), steak sandwiches, john's stir-fry and Mother's Soup, that might make some room in my freezer, thanks!

It never dawned on me to marinate cooked steak, though, I'm assuming it's strictly for flavor and doesn't affect the texture much after the meat is cooked?

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

I'd cut the leftover slices into 1/4" cubes and make half into a roast beef hash with potatoes and onions and mix the other half with sauteed onions and peppers and barbeque sauce for sandwiches.

• trudy_gw
    13 years ago

Feel your pain Annie. We have family who can't stand to see even med. rare meat on our plates. They are also very vocal about it! We just don't even make med rare meat when these members are at our house, just dont even want to deal with it! When they are talking this way I even get to the point of not liking the meat as rare.

We sliced our left over prime rib very thin and served on crossiants.
    Putting the left over meat into another cooked dish sounds ok, but I would at the meat at the very end of the cooking process.
    Copper is such a good dog, he really does deserve the best this holiday season!

• kris_zone6
    13 years ago

There is no way I would throw it away. Prime rib makes wonderful vegetable beef soup.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

I just had this for lunch, and didn't find it suffered from being made with the med+ end pieces from my prime rib. Highly recommended.

Steak and Braised Onions under a Parmesan Crust
    The Palm Restaurant Cookbook

1T butter
    1T olive oil
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    3 canned peeled plum tomatoes, seeded and coursely chopped
    2t flour
    1 cup beef broth
    8 oz cooked beef, diced 1/2"
    S&P
    Pinch ground nutmeg
    1T minced parsley
    1 clove minced garlic
    3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
    2T grated Parm Regg
    1T melted butter

Saute onions in oil and butter over med-lo heat until very soft. Add tomatoes, cook one minute, add flour and stir for two minutes. Stir in stock, increase heat to med-hi. When it begins to simmer, add beef, S&P, nutmeg, parsley and garlic. Cook until thickened, about five minutes.

Transfer to gratin dish and smooth top. Mix butter, cheese and bread crumbs then top the meat mixture. Broil to brown.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trudy, it's just kind of annoying to me, I don't wrinkle up my nose and tell others how they are wasting perfectly good beef if they want it well done, so I think they should just shut up and let everyone else eat beef the way they like it. Because one very vocal person "can't stand" the thought of rare beef, they expect everyone else to eat it the way they like it? Sigh. I did raise an eyebrow at her and tell her that it wasn't polite to "yuck my yum", but she insists that she can't help it, she would get sick to her stomach if she even had to see someone else eating rare beef. Whatever. She'd better not come to MY house for steak, that's all I can say!

If I went somewhere and they only had well done prime rib and a zillion other things, I'd just shut up and eat the zillion other things, sheesh.

Ah well, to each their own, I suppose. Elery doesn't even LIKE beef. he likes it more after he's fixed fence a while, he now eats beef simply for revenge, LOL.

FOAS, that looks really, really good. I'll run it past Cooper and see what he thinks. (grin) Just kidding, but it does look really good, I'll add that to the rotation. Heck, I might have to cook more beef, just for the leftovers!

Annie

• trudy_gw
    13 years ago

Ditto....Annie! Same here with a few people we know.

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Annie, at least you will know next year not to waste a good piece of beef. I never cook a prime rib or steaks if I know that my guests like their beef medium or well done.

So many other options.

Ann

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

"I never cook a prime rib or steaks if I know that my guests like their beef medium or well done." ?Why not Ann?

I have to say, I love love love it rare when I do eat red meat (once a quarter, maybe).

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

No way in heck I would toss it. Lots of options for well done beef, especially prime.

Philly cheese steak is a fabulous option or cut it in really thin strips and serve as shredded beef on a bun.

We really like this recipe for leftover beef. I serve with fried rice and steamed broccoli.

Orange-Glazed Crispy Beef - Ricardo

For the Batter
    250 ml (1 cup) unbleached all
    -purpose flour
    125 ml (1/2 cup) tapioca starch or
    -cornstarch
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
    2 1/2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
    180 ml (3/4 cup) lager or pale ale
    125 ml (1/2 cup) water
    454 g (1 lb) cold leftover roast beef
    60 ml (1/4 cup) tapioca starch or
    -cornstarch
    Oil For Frying
    For the Sauce
    60 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
    10 ml (2 teaspoons) tapioca starch
    125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
    30 ml (2 tablespoons) rice vinegar
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    Grated zest of 2 oranges
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh
    -ginger
    1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) hot pepper
    -flakes or cayenne
    Juice of 2 oranges

Directions:

For the Batter

1. Heat the oil, setting the deep fryer to high. Preheat the oven to 100C (200F). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
    2. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients, whisking until the batter is smooth. Set aside.
    3. In another bowl, combine the beef and the starch.
    4. Divide the beef slices into 5 equal portions. Coat 1 portion with batter. Drop the battered strips 1 by 1 into fryer to prevent them from sticking together. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat for the remaining portions.

For the Sauce

1. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce and the starch. Set aside.
    2. In a large skillet or wok, bring the sugar, vinegar, garlic, orange zest, ginger and hot pepper flakes to a boil. Simmer until the sugar begins turning gold. Add the orange juice and simmer for 1 minute.
    3. Add the soy sauce mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Off the heat, add the cooked beef strips and turn it gently with a spatula until well coated.
    4. Serve immediately.
  • ann_t
    13 years ago

* Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 15:34

"I never cook a prime rib or steaks if I know that my guests like their beef medium or well done." ?Why not Ann?

Rob, certain cuts of beef are tender when cooked rare/medium rare and toughen up when over cooked. Such as Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin, Rib Eye and Strip Loin roasts/steaks. Other cuts are tough when cooked rare/medium rare but melt in the mouth tender when cooked for a long time. Such as Briskets, Round, Chuck, etc. These cuts are best as pot roasts.

So it is a shame to take an expensive roast like a prime rib and roast it to medium or well done.

If I know that my guests do not like their beef cooked rare or medium rare than I'll plan something else for dinner. Something I know our guests will enjoy.
    After all we do want our guests to feel special don't we?

Thankfully there are so many other choices besides roast beef.

Ann

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

I've often wondered if it's possible to be a true steak lover who prefers them cooked past medium. It just doesn't seem right to me. While I readily acknowledge there may well be some such folk out there, I have to admit I'd cringe to lay out good money on premium beef for such company.

That said, I think the "medium" folks shouldn't be shunned from the club. As long as they're ok with a happy pink throughout they're ok in my book ;-)

Related - A week or so ago I noticed this commentary in "The Palm Restaurant Cookbook" which I've often referenced, as recently as today:

"Palm executive chef Tony Tammero believes rib eye should always be served medium, rather than medium rare. Even the best rib eye, he notes, has a tendency to be stringy and tough when undercooked. This is the only cut of meat that gets more tender if you cook it a little longer than medium rare."

I don't think he's talking about pot roast here, but it might help explain why I've never enjoyed a rib eye at a "top" steakhouse!

• Lars
    13 years ago

I would use it for a Thai beef salad, which calls for thin strips of cooked beef. I don't have a recipe for it here, but I linked to one below. For some reason, I remember having lemongrass in it, but I guess that's not necessary. Anyway, it is a cold dish and therefore will not require additional cooking. Lime juice, fish sauce, and cilantro are essential ingredients, and I use more cilantro than mint in this.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Beef Salad

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I didn't think earlier, but this is an excellent dish for using up cooked meats. It calls for beef or lamb, but I have made it with roast pork or chicken as well and it is delicious.

Lamb or Beef Jhal Fraizi

-from, "Foolproof Indian Cooking," by Madhur Jaffrey-with slight changes and notes of my own.

350 g (12 oz) cooked, boneless roast lamb or beef

3 T olive oil

1/4 t cumin seeds

1/4 t brown mustard seeds**

8 fenugreek seeds***

100 g (1 medium) green bell pepper, cut into strips.

1-2 hot green chilies (such as serranos), cut into long, thin slivers. (****Ms. Jaffrey says not to remove the seeds, but if you've a tender mouth, I would scrape the seeds & pith out to cool the dish down.)

150 g (1 medium) onion, cut into half rings, similar in size to the peppers.

1 t Worcestershire sauce

1 t ground cumin

1 t ground coriander

1/4 t ground turmeric

3/4 t salt

Freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Julienne the cooked meats in 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips.

Heat the oil over a medium high heat until quite hot, then add the cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds. The mustard seeds will begin to pop, when they do, add the bell pepper, onion, and chilies. Stir fry until the onions & peppers are wilted, and perhaps beginning to brown a bit (but not much) and add the meat and other seasonings. Heat through.

This is very good with some plain rice and a side of plain yogurt or a yogurt raita of some kind as a cooling foil to the spiciness of the dish.

A simple raita can be made by mixing half a cup of plain yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of grated, squeezed (to remove excess liquid) cucumber and a teaspoon or so of minced mint or cilantro, adding a bit of salt if you like.

**Plain, yellow mustard seeds will work as well, if you've got some on hand already and don't want to search out and buy brown just for this recipe.

***It doesn't sound like much, but fenugreek is quite potent, and the flavor is distinct. Fenugreek also keeps a long, long time, much longer than most spices. There really isn't anything I can think of that would be similar, but if you need to do without it, something slightly sweet but pungent would work--maybe some minced cilantro or mint, added at the last minute.

• velamina
    13 years ago

I am a true steak eater, but I LOVE beef anyway that it is cooked; I'm jealous of Annie because I would probably take all that steak and caramelize it in a pan with lots of butter and do nothing else. I can eat it raw and enjoy it just as well, but in any fine steakhouse that I know of they will not serve you a beautifully, aged piece of steak well done.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann, we had prime rib because that's what Elery wanted me to cook, it wasn't my choice. Truthfully, since we had six kids under the age of 8, I was leaning toward an all Italian kind of pasta meal, with stromboli, lasagna, ravioli, etc. But we did pizza last year and his son and DIL came with the three boys from California and his daughter drove up from Ohio and so he wanted a "centerpiece" kind of dish. Prime rib it was, as we both know that it will be years before all his kids and all his grandkids are together in one place again.

Sharon, that orange beef sounds really good, I'd love it, I think. Elery would really like Rachelellen's spicy Indian food too, although I'd definitely have to calm that down and I think we'd both like Lars' Thai salad.

So many delicious options, it makes me glad I grow beef, I nearly always have SOMETHING left over!

Annie

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Costco $7/lb. OMG. So good tonight for dinner. Om nom nom!

I'll look for my thai noodle salad recipe later, I forgot about that, it should work for leftovers.

• Mark Williams
    8 years ago

"Cost aside, I cannot in good conscience toss it out. I know the animal it came from was raised to be dinner, but it's just too wasteful to not use it and I was raised that nothing is killed unless you intend to eat it, so SOMEONE is going to eat that beef" Well said and totally agree