Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite Crockpot Recipes

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 20:22

Thanks Gardengirl for the idea!
I would like to help my daughter get into cooking a bit more. She has very little time right now, so I am looking for your best crockpot recipes. I plan to put them on nice recipe cards (with proper credit, of course!) and give them to her along with the crockpot I got as part of her Xmas gift.

Care to share your favorites? I'll start with Ginger's French Dip Sandwiches. We love them!

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
8 French or sourdough rolls, split
Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~
Posted by Ginger St. Thomas

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite Crockpot Recipes

Linda, what about a pot roast?

1 chuck roast, visable fat removed
1/2 cup flour-seasoned wth salt and pepper
Carrots
celery
Onions
thyme
bay leave, 1 or 2
salt and pepper
1 can beef stock
1 cup of merlot
garlic cloves, 2 or more, smashed or minced

Dredge the roast in the seasoned flour and brown in a heavy bottomed skillet

Add roast and remaining items to slow cooker and simmer on low for 6 to 8 hours until meat is tender. Skim off any visable fat from the gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes or wide egg noodles.

o

I posted one earlier over in the pot roast thread, so feel free to snitch that one. Every time I make it for guests, they ask for the recipe.

Here's another one that I do about every 6 weeks or so during the winter months...it's called "That Bean Dish" since no one can ever remember it's real name.

1 lb. hamburger (browned in the microwave works)
2 1 lb. cans of pork-n-beans (any brand, but we like
Van De Camps - you can also use Bush's canned baked beans)
1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
About 1 tbsp ketchup
garlic and onion powder to taste

Brown the hamburger first and put it in the slow cooker. Add the pork and beans, then the drained kidney beans. Stir. Put in a little garlic and onion powder, then the ketchup. Stir. Cook on low for about 6 hours. If you need more time, utilize a timer as the hamburger can burn too easily.

DonnaR/CA

o

I love my crockpot! I use it several times each week for things like chili, Mexican seasoned ground beef, sloppy joe mix, spaghetti sauce, baked beans, et . Though I don't eat hot dogs, my boys like them when I throw a package, dry, into a crockpot and let them cook several hours in their own juices. This works equally well with Polish sausage. My DIL got a nice stainless steel crockpot, a couple of slow cooker cookbooks and a set of stainless steel serving pieces wrapped up toghether for her birthday. She loved it!

o

Here are a few of my family's favorites:

LEIGH'S BAKED BEANS FOR CROCKPOT

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bacon (diced)
1 medium sweet onion (diced)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1 tsp. each: salt, pepper, chili powder
1 Tblsp. mustard
1 can each: pork and beans, pinto beans, navy beans, and white butter beans.

Brown ground beef, bacon, onion, and pepper, drain. Put this in crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook all day on low heat.

SLOW-COOKER ADOBO PORK SANDWICHES WITH ROSEMARY-GARLIC MAYONNAISE

2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, drained
1 Tblsp. brown sugar
1 Tblsp. chili powder
3 Tblsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tblsp. adobo sauce
1 Tblsp. honey
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4-1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
6 sandwich buns
Rosemary-Garlic mayonnaise (recipe follows)
Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices

Process first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor until mixture is smooth. Cut pork in half, and place in a 5-quart slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over pork. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours; remove from slow cooker. Cool slightly; shred and serve on buns with Rosemary-Garlic mayonnaise and desired toppings. Yield: 6 servings.

Rosemary-Garlic Mayonnaise
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tblsp. chopped fresh or dried rosemary
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt

Stir together all ingredients. Chill. Yield: 1/2 cup.

Recipe from Southern Living magazine, Sept. 2001 issue.

CROCKPOT MACARONI AND CHEESE
8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Place cooked macaroni in slow cooker that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup cheese; add rest of cheese and the other ingredients to the macaroni. Mix well. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cook on HIGH at least 2-1/2 hours. Do not remove cover or stir until ready to serve.

Recipe courtesy of Mr. Food.

CROCKPOT CHINESE PEPPER STEAK

1-1/2 lbs. steak (any cheap cut)
2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup tomatoes, diced
2 green peppers, sliced in strips
1 Tblsp. cornstarch
2 Tblsp. water
1 large onion, cut in chunks

Cut steak in strips. Brown steak in oil. Mix garlic, salt, soy sauce, and sugar; pour over steak. Cook 6 hours on low in crockpot. Turn to high and add sprouts, tomatoes, green peppers, and onion. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add for thickening. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over hot cooked rice.

o

GINGER'S ITALIAN BEEF

Posted by: Ginger_St_Thomas (My Page) on Sat, Apr 26, 03 at 7:28

One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip)
1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all
1 can beer
1 can beef bouillon

Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for luch cook at bedtime.)
Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~

Posted by: JoeEkaitis (My Page) on Fri, Dec 27, 02 at 13:38
SAUSAGE AND LENTIL SOUP

1 large onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic, minced
1 lb. dry lentils
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
2 broth cans water
1 lb. sweet or hot turkey Italian sausage, whole links
2 bay leaves

Combine onion, garlic, lentils, Italian seasoning, broth, and water in slow cooker. Add sausage links and float bay leaves on top. Cover and cook 10 hours on Low. Discard bay leaves. Remove sausage links and allow to cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir soup for 2 minutes to puree' some of the lentils, which will thicken the soup. Slice cooled sausage and return to soup. Serve with biscuits or cornbread for a "meal in a bowl."

Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
Posted by: san_ (My Page) on Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 17:27

3# chicken pieces, dredged in seasoned flour (we like chicken thighs and I add a pinch of 5-spice powder to the flour, along with a little salt & pepper)
brown the chicken in a skillet (I usually skip that)
mix together in a crock pot:

6 oz can of lemonade
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 T brown sugar
3 T catsup
add the chicken and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours
Serve over rice.

o

Here are a couple of T&T from our house that get made quite often

***Sweet and Tangy Chicken***

8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 (18 oz) bottles of BBQ sauce
1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, undrained
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Hot cooked rice (I use Uncle Bens original long grain wild rice.)

Place 4 chicken breasts in slow cooker. Combine next 5 ingredients and pour 1/2 over the chicken. Top with remaining chicken and sauce. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve over rice.
Makes 8 serving but can easily be cut in 1/2 for 4 servings.

***Creamy Red Potatoes***

2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
1 (8 oz) cream cheese
1 (10-3/4 oz) can condensed cream of potatoe soup,
undiluted.
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

Place potatoes in slow cooker. In small mixing bowl beat cream cheese, soup and dressing mix until well blended. Stir into potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Makes 4-6 servings. This can be easily doubled.

o

This is my all time favorite crock pot recipe. It was my dads recipe, we have it on Christmas Eve every year.

Dad's Baked Beans
Description:
Ingredients:

1/2 Lb Bacon

2 Tbsp bacon drippings

3 Lb 7 oz (large can) Baked Beans

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp mustard

1 large onion, chopped

2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

Directions:
1. Place beans in crock and set on low, cover and begin cooking.

2. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and cool. Crumble bacon into small pieces. Discard all but needed bacon grease.

3. Brown onion in bacon grease.

4. Add all ingredients to beans,mix well.

5. Cook on low, covered, for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

o

I like mine best for bean soup or pea soup. I don't really have recipes, I just dump a bag of beans or peas in the crock, add a ham bone if I have it, some diced bacon or leftover ham if I don't. Add a chopped onion, a chopped carrot, salt and pepper, water to cover. Let it cook all day and you have a nice pot of beans or soup when you get home. Ashley likes me to add cubed potatoes to the pea soup....

Annie

o

YUM! So many super recipes! Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

(My kid will thank you, too!)heehee

Linda

o

I made these ribs and they were fantastic!!! SLOW COOKER BARBACUE RIBSImage and video hosting by TinyPicINGREDIENTS
4 pounds pork baby back ribs salt and pepper to taste
2 cups ketchup
1 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 dash hot sauce

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Season ribs with salt and pepper. Place in a shallow baking pan. Brown in oven 15 minutes. Turn over, and brown another 15 minutes; drain fat.
In a medium bowl, mix together the ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Place ribs in slow cooker. Pour sauce over ribs, and turn to coat.
Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours, or until ribs are tender.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here