SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Ever heard of cake strips?

caflowerluver
11 years ago

I have been baking cakes for over 50 years and never heard of them till today. I had to read up on them and now I understand what they are for, but do you really need them? Anyone use them?

You learn something new every day. "Cake strips are just pieces of water-soaked cloth or silicone that you wrap around your cake pan, which allows the heat to penetrate the sides of the cake pan more slowly. The result is more even, flat, uniform cake layers. The cake pan sides get hotter faster than the middle of the cake, and cook more quickly. The center of the cake cooks more slowly and rises higher than the sides of the cake."

If the bottom layer was too high to fit together nicely I would slice the dome off with a serrated knife. I didn't care about the top being domed. To tell the truth, I never ever thought about it. I was making the cake for friends and family, not to sell at a bakery.

From the website listed below, Real Baking with Rose, I copied these instructions for making your own. "Recently I learned from my friend and colleague, Dede Wilson, how to make my own cake strips simply by enclosing folded, wet paper towels in a long strip of heavy-duty aluminum foil, overlapped to be the same height as the cake pan."

Maybe I will give it a try the next time I bake a cake and see if it works.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Baking with Rose

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022