Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever heard of cake strips?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 20:21

I have been baking cakes for over 50 years and never heard of them till today. I had to read up on them and now I understand what they are for, but do you really need them? Anyone use them?

You learn something new every day. "Cake strips are just pieces of water-soaked cloth or silicone that you wrap around your cake pan, which allows the heat to penetrate the sides of the cake pan more slowly. The result is more even, flat, uniform cake layers. The cake pan sides get hotter faster than the middle of the cake, and cook more quickly. The center of the cake cooks more slowly and rises higher than the sides of the cake."

If the bottom layer was too high to fit together nicely I would slice the dome off with a serrated knife. I didn't care about the top being domed. To tell the truth, I never ever thought about it. I was making the cake for friends and family, not to sell at a bakery.

From the website listed below, Real Baking with Rose, I copied these instructions for making your own. "Recently I learned from my friend and colleague, Dede Wilson, how to make my own cake strips simply by enclosing folded, wet paper towels in a long strip of heavy-duty aluminum foil, overlapped to be the same height as the cake pan."

Maybe I will give it a try the next time I bake a cake and see if it works.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Baking with Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever heard of cake strips?

I use them whenever I am making larger tiers for a cake .I just cut up old towels and secure them with bulldog clips. They really do help with bigger pans, like a 10 inch diameter, 3 inch deep pan.
Jane

o

"I was making the cake for friends and family, not to sell at a bakery. "

aptosca - when I had a bakery, we did exactly what you do. We used entremet rings on a cookie sheet. When done, we sliced the tops off even with the rings. Fast, easy, and made everything uniform. We'd bake 40-50 at a time and putting on extra strips just wouldn't work.

o

Clare, I have a couple of the cake strips from KA catalog. You are welcome to have them. Maybe it's time to get together for lunch again.

o

I have cake strips and have used them. They do help quite a lot in keeping layers from doming during baking.

Never thought to use old towels to make my own rings. I found mine, new in the pkg., at a garage sale.

o

I've used them - they were particularly helpful when I was making the big layers for my son's wedding cake so I didn't have to slice off the top to flatten it. I didn't have enough premade cake strips so I improvised some with aluminum foil and paper towels as described above. They worked fine but aren't as easy to handle as the cloth strips.

I didn't see the web site - it was just what occurred to me as materials I had on hand that could work similarly to the cake strips. I didn't think of using towels - I would have thought that having the metal layer on the outside to slow the evaporation of the water would be necessary for them to work but maybe the water lasts long enough with a thick enough towel layer.

Most of the time I don't bother with them. They can be kind of a pain when they try to slide off the pan as you put it in the oven. I've thought about improvising something with bent wire (such as from paper clips) to go around the strip and hook over the top of the pan to prevent that.

o

Heard of them, but never used them. When I was growing up, a flat cake was indicative of one that didn't rise properly; a cake with a nice dome was considered to be a good, homemade cake. It's very hard for me to really embrace the current trend that cakes should flat on top. I like to see a nicely domed, made-from-scratch homemade cakes.

o

I've heard of the item but never by that name. Never paid much attention to them. I understand why cakes would dome a bit but it never really bothered me. I like the looks of a nice little dome on there actually. My philosophy was "caulk it up with frosting"! and let the frosting even it out. You get more frosting that way too. And lots of good frosting is a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here