Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone use nuts.com?

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 20:10

I have never ordered from them. They have so many good reviews...dated very recently and all always consistently rave about the quality. I need really good quality dried figs. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone use nuts.com?

Yes! I just ordered from them for the first time, because they have they have the candied pineapple I need for my fruitcake, and it's hard to find. I decided to get candied cherries from them too. I wasn't expecting much. I've gotten imported candied cherries from Chef Shop. Not much different from the supermarket. I've gotten them from King Arthur (worse). The ones from Nuts.com actually taste like cherries. They are still in sticky red goo, of course, which I wash off, as Julia Child advised.
The candied pineapple was somewhat pineapple-y, but did not have as much taste as the cherries. One thing was really strange though. I mix the cut-up cherries and pineapple with brandy and soak overnight. The pineapple turned pink, and that has never happened before. So maybe the cherries' red dye is a different one, a better one for all I know. This is pretty much the only time I knowingly consume red dye.

I did get some Turkish figs, and they are good. Not hard.
Medjool dates (a free sample) are good, but they aren't the jumbo ones.

I'll certainly order from them again.

o

thank you cc...hope a couple others chime in ! We have a town full of fig trees but dumb me didn't think to dry any...sigh need them for cucidati ....Italian cookies !!

o

I received a tray of nuts as a gift from a forum member. They were the best cashews, pecans, peanuts, and pistachios I've even eaten!

I hope you are pleased with your order.

Teresa

o

deleting duplicate post

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 8:56

o

thank you teresa...I was going to order almonds too ! So I will get busy and make an order. Appreciate the feed back. c

o

I have ordered their organic unsalted shelled pistachios (which I cannot seem to find locally) for quite a few years and I LOVE them. Great service, fresh nuts.

o

I order from them several times a year and am expecting an order any day now. I'm the winner in the "odd" ingredient category, and they fit the bill for that. Some things I've ordered:

5# chia seeds
Moringa powder
Organic Raw White Buckwheat
Organic Cacao Butter
Vinegar powder
Hemp seeds
Gluten Free Nutritional Yeast
A variety of grains/beans/nuts
Cacao nibs
Organic Freeze-dried mixed veggies
Organic Milk Thistle Seeds
Mushroom Popcorn
Organic Purple Corn Kernels
And the all important Clove Balls (hard candy) I share them with my siblings for Christmas. We had them as kids and this is the only place I've found them, so we share a bit of nostalgia each year, over a clove ball.

Oh, yes, you'll love the box they come in and the friendly e-mail they send telling you your "order has landed" ;-).

-Grainlady

o

I just received a huge order from them. Everything I've gotten has been delicious. I especially like the dried fruits (I got dates, figs, apricots and ginger this time). DH loves the pistachios.

Each fall, my grandmother used to take the trolley "down neck" (that's Newark) and buy nuts and fruits at their grandfather's shop for her special Christmas treats. Our family has been "nutty" customers for a long time :-)

o

Yes! I've ordered nut flours to make macarons and they've been excellent. Very fresh. Super fast delivery and they always include a little freebie. Love the packaging and the shipping box, too. Big thumbs up!

o

CC, would you share your fruit cake recipe?

o

This is good to know! Thanks!

o

WOW>...I am SO glad to continue to hear good things about the company. Nice to know that there are still really great purveyors of quality products. Thank you all. c

o

Sure, Peppi.

Fruit Cake

1 3/4 cup chopped candied cherries
1 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
3 cups broken pecans
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups flour
6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 lb. white raisins
6 Tb brandy
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix fruit and nuts and 1/4 cup brandy. (I let the fruit soak in rather more brandy for some hours at least, usually overnight, and add the nuts when mixing the rest.)

Preheat the oven to 275. Line a 10-inch tube pan with foil.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating
well after each.
Sift flour with other dry ingredients; divide this in half.
Stir half the dry ingredients into the batter. Mix the other half with
the fruit and nuts. (If you upped the brandy just make sure the fruit
isn't swimming in extra liquid at this point.)
Add fruit to batter. (This takes a very large bowl or pan.)
Pour into baking pan.
Bake 3 hours and 45 minutes, with a pan of water on the bottom of the
oven. Cool five minutes. Remove from pan.
When cool, wrap in brandy-soaked cheesecloth and foil. Store several
weeks.

o

CC, thank you! I better get going on this and place my order for fruit.

o

Just have to add that Nuts.com will ship to deployed troops. I have sent boxes of treats dozens of times to Iraq and Afghanistan with no trouble. Nuts.com supports our military and to top that, their products are excellent and the customer service is too.

o

Good to know. Another reason to like them!

o

grainlady
What is vinegar powder? I searched on Nuts and they had no match for it.

o

jankey-

It's actually Apple Cider Vinegar Powder. I tested it on dehydrated zucchini chips (which we use instead of potato chips) and it was like salt & vinegar potato chips. I also use it sprinkled on homemade potato chips and homemade sweet potato chips (made in the microwave). It works as a salt substitute and is a nice seasoning add-in for homemade dressings, marinades, dry rubs and dips. It can be mixed with salt in shaker to sprinkle over oven-baked (or fried) French fries or popcorn.

You can also mix it with water to make liquid vinegar, in a pinch, but it is great when you want the flavor of vinegar, but not necessarily the liquid.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Cider Vinegar Powder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here