Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me troubleshoot this recipe?

Posted by tracey_oh (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 20:06

Found this recipe for an Impossible salmon pie that looked promising. Followed the directions, including using the food processor to mix the eggs, flour, baking powder, and butter. I then stirred in the rest of the ingredients and baked in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. When I pulled it out, it was nothing like an impossible pie...there was so much butter that it was pooling on the top and the eggs were more like pockets of egg white. The flavor was good and I think if I could just tweak it a bit (which I suck at) then we would quite enjoy it. Here's the recipe and how it turned out.
4 eggs
125 g butter, softened
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk
1 (200 g) can salmon, drained and flaked
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper
Directions:

Place eggs, butter, flour and baking powder in processor and process until smooth.
2 Transfer to bowl.
3 Stir through milk, salmon, onion, cheese, parsley and seasonings.
4 Pour mixture into a greased pie plate.
5 Bake in moderate oven 180degC (360degF) for 1 hour or until mixture is firm and golden
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me troubleshoot this recipe?

Here is a recipe that is close, maybe it will help you.
I wonder if your problem is with the recipe method. Impossible pies that I've made have you put the solids in the dish and then pour the egg/milk mixture but you don't stir them together.

SALMON IMPOSSIBLE PIE

1/4 c. green onions, chopped
1 sm. can salmon
1 c. sharp (grated) cheddar cheese
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, in sm. pieces
1 (2 oz.) jar pimiento

Put above ingredients in a greased 10" pie pan. In blender blend the following for 15 seconds:

2 c. milk
4 eggs
1 c. Bisquick
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash of nutmeg

Pour over ingredients in pie pan. Bake 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean when tested.

Nancy

o

I do notice there's no butter in your recipe, Nancy.

o

Now that you're saying that colleen+tracey's comment on butter pooling....

Salmon is an oily fish. That's what makes it to so healthy. One of those "fish oil" fish, like mackeral or tuna. You could be on to something.

o

There was definitely too much butter in it. I think next time I should just stick with the Bisquick version and avoid the food processor. Thanks for the recipe and your help everyone!

Tracey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here