SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Stupid oven mitt in oven with Christmas dinner... Trash the beef?

rhome410
10 years ago

This is the dumbest thing ever... An oven mitt, unbeknownst to me, was stuck to the bottom of the broiler pan and fell off into the bottom of the oven when I put our prime rib in the oven. We noticed an odd smell, but didn't notice the mitt until at least a half hour into roasting, including the 15 minutes at 450 to start.

It is the type of hot pad with the black rubbery surface...Thankfully, for the oven, it was facing up. But it was pretty much destroyed by the time I took it out.

Is the prime rib (2 of them each at 5 lbs) now garbage? I surely don't want to poison my family, but don't want to throw it out if it's not necessary. DH is an 'oh, it'll be fine' type of person and I will have a fight on my hands to be rid of the meat we've been waiting months to enjoy today... But the rest of us aren't quite that cavalier. I would usually error on the side of being super safe, but this is a more difficult choice for which I want as much info as possible before jumping either way.

The oven is a Gaggenau turned on convection...it brags about odors and flavors from one thing not affecting another. Does that feature help me here?

Thanks so much.

This post was edited by rhome410 on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 20:11

Comments (8)