SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

sweet pea humus

So good. During the holiday weekend this was a great go-to snack.
While shopping for the 'meal', my local Fairway grocery had chick peas, an organic brand i like at the
end of the isle sale. One of a few can goods i buy....they drain easily and no usual slime goo like most beans.
And you have a full cup of firm beans. I always stock frozen shelled edamame, but they had 2 lb bag of both baby peas and edamame and chopped spinach, on sale. This time of year i need my peas and spinach.

I drained my chick peas, 16 oz can. In a small sauce pan with a qrt of simmering water, add chick peas and 1 cup edamame. (i always simmer canned chick peas to get the 'can' out of them...edamame needs some simmer heat also)
Simmer on low 10 min. Turn off heat and add 1 cup baby frozen peas and handful frozen spinach.
Drain in a colander and make your favorite hummus recipe with the mix.

I upped the lemon and parsley and toasted sesame seeds since i had them....used what i have.
My hummus tends to change every batch a bit....but the creamy veggie addition is such a welcome color instead of the pale grey brown. And healthy!. It made three 8 oz containers. Way too much for us but i used it in a sandwich as a mayo. And tonight i used the last 1/2 container to thicken a curry.
(if kids hate veggies, call it something else, lol. We call our puppy 'sweet pea' as a nick-name...)
I suppose the color green scares most kids, oh well...

This post was edited by sleevendog on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 7:49

Comments (6)