Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosted Rectangular Molasses cookie-anyone remember these?

Posted by hockeychik (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 19:38

When I was young, we used to buy these rectangular molasses cookies that had either white or pink frosting. They were soft and about 2 by 3 inches. We bought them at a warehouse store around 1969. Does anyone recall cookies like these? What were they called? I have a recipe for a gingerbread cookie that is very similar but I always wonder if anyone still manufactures these anymore.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosted Rectangular Molasses cookie-anyone remember these?

I found these...I love molasses cookies. Maybe these are similar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

o

Might they have been the iced molasses cookies made by Archway Cookies? The company is going out of business.....so sad. They did make some good cookies.

o

Were they called Aunt Sally cookies? I remember them from the 60s. I found a recipe for them a while back.

I loved them, too!

INGREDIENTS

Cookies
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 cups shortening
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 cup molasses
* 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 4 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 1 cup sour milk

Frosting
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
* 1/2 cup water
* 18 large marshmallows
* 2 egg whites
* 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup white sugar and shortening until smooth. Stir in the egg yolks and molasses. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; stir into the molasses mixture alternately with the sour milk. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into rectangular shapes (I like to use a Spam can). Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
4. To make the frosting, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, vinegar, water and marshmallows. Mix well and place over a pot of simmering water. when the marshmallows have melted, stir in the egg whites. Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer for 7 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and confectioners' sugar until well blended. Frost cooled cookies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aunt Sally cookies.

o

Thanks for the responses. No Teresa, they are not Archway cookies. The Aunt Sally cookies and the Old Fashioned Molasses cookies recipes posted by barnmom and vicki are both similar to the recipe I have. Mine is called Valborg's Soft Molasses Cookies. It is very close to what I remember. I will have to try these two recipes to see how they compare.

o

Try posting on the Recipe Exchange (link to this thread). Ginger St. Thomas is really good about finding these things.

o

hockeychik: I remember these very well. They were fairly thick and relatively soft, and had scalloped edges. I don't remember that they were particularly spicey. At the age I was when I ate these, I never looked to see what they were called; just enjoyed them.

Good luck on your search.

o

Found these Aunt Sally cookies at the Vermont Country Store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookies.

o

Hockeychik, I've been looking for information on these forgotten cookies as well. I brought a pack home in the 70's and my mother said she used to buy them as a little girl in the 1930's. I remember them being called "Big Lunch". They were as you discribed them, scalloped edges with pink and/or white icing. I remember them being a big molasses/ginger flavored snack but I have been unable to find any info on them anywhere. I hope this rings a bell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here