Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help...1/2 lb ground beef, what do I do

Posted by chancesmom (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 07 at 19:14

I have been in a sort of yucky place lately so have not been around much. But I hope you can help me out with a bit of a situation.......

On Sunday we had a HUGE snow storm and I thawed about 2 lbs gr. beef. Did not use it all to make spaghetti sauce, so now what do I do with about a 1/2 lb???

Any ideas are welome.

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help...1/2 lb ground beef, what do I do

I'd brown it with some fennel seed, oregano, onion, garlic and whatever else popped into my mind and use it as a pizza topping with some pizza type veggie toppings.

o

Mix it with rice and stuff some green peppers?
Make a bean soup (like chili beans) and add to that?
Mac and cheese with cooked garlicy ground beef stirred into it?

If I had only two to feed, I'd make hamburger patties with a brown gravy and some sauteed onions and mushrooms and eat it like an open-face sandwich.

o

Brown it up with some onion, garlic and cumin...maybe a little chili powder. Then add velveta...yes velveta!!
About equal portions and viola...chili cheese dip for nachos!!!

Cheers!
Susie

o

I just made taco meat with 1/2-pound of ground beef. Brown the beef, drain, add 2 t. taco seasoning (from a package, homemade) and 1/4-1/3 c. salsa/taco sauce. You get the idea.... It's not an exact science, especially when you're in a hurry. -Grainlady

o

Are we talking quick dinner? I'd probably brown it, add a jar of salsa and stir in some Minute rice...makes quick and easy Spanish rice.

Then there's the old standby.... brown it with some onion, S+P, stir in a little flour and add milk...hamburg gravy, serve over mashed potatoes, add a veggie to go with...another quickie.

Nancy

o

ted would turn that into hamburger patties too--one of his favorite dishes. but i'd be making wizard's spicy cheeseburger soup! i'm having some problems with the disc i have it stored on but hopefully, someone can post it for you--good stuff!

o

I would patty it up, slap it intop a skillet and eat it all myself!!
OH? You wanted a meal for at least 3??
Brown and crumble it up and add onions, garlic and about 1/2 a cup of refried beans....add some taco seasonings and call it Mexican!
Or...add some sausage,an egg, milk and breadcrumbs and Italian seasonings and make meat balls! OOH ! Yeah! I like that! Srve with some sauce over pasta....or without sauce over pasta with just butter and parmesan....and meatballs!
Linda C

o

Make "Joe's Special"

Spinach, diced sauteed onions, browned ground beef, herbs of choice, a bit of garlic. Add 4 beaten eggs and stir. or you can bake it as a frittata.

o

taco salad or hamburger soup

o

Make dim sum!

Buy the wrappers at an Asian market.

o

((((super duper hugs!!! Janet))))

o

A hamburger for sure. On a toasted buttered bun with lettuce, cheese, onions, and pickles. Maybe a little mayo with pepper on the side to dip it in. Not certain grilled onions or raw hot onions... maybe both.

Hopefully you are out of any yucky spots!!!

: )
lyra

o

Wow, I must not be thinking right, I couldn't come up with any of these ideas. I found wizards Cheeseburger soup thanks to San. It's going to be dinner tonight with some fresh bread.

Thanks guys!

o

It's the perfect amount for the little meatballs in Italian wedding soup.

o

A half pound might be a little light for this, but depending on how much you eat you can reduce the recipe a bit. This is one of my favorite simple, fast, tasty one-pot meals for a weeknight. It's also one of my wife's most frequent requests, which annoys me just a little considering all the "good" cooking I try to do. This is based on a pound of pasta:

In a large sauce pan saute a small onion (optional).
Add 1+ pounds ground beef and brown. Drain if necessary.
Add a pound of rotini or rotelle pasta and mix.
Add beef broth (or chicken, veggie, whatever - I use a base like "better than boullion" as it has more seasoning) just to the top of the mixture, roughly 4 cups.
Bring to a boil, reduce to medium, cover.
Shortly before pasta is done, mix in some frozen peas or other veggie (optional).
Once pasta is done, mix in 8 oz container of sour cream and a squirt of yellow mustard.

Start to finish 20 minutes if you heat the broth while the meat is browning.

o

Here's another TERRIFIC recipe that calls for 1/2 pound of ground beef. So terrific, in fact, that next time I will double it and use a whole pound anyway.

Actually, now that I think of it, it called for pork, but we don't eat pork, hence my substitution. But it was so heavenly with the beef, I was dreaming of the leftovers.

I made this last week for Chinese New Year. I had a lot of napa cabbage and looked through my Chinese cookbooks for something different to do with it. I had potato cellophane noodles on hand, so I used those. I think it will be even better with regular ones.

I will be making this often, not just for Chinese menus -- it is a GEM of a recipe because not only is it seriously delicious, it is SO fast -- on the table in about half an hour (at least if you already have minced ginger and minced garlic on hand), but it tastes like it's been simmering all day.

Meatball Soup (Baitsai fensz rouwan tang)

Adapted from "Harmony of Flavors," by Yung-chi Chao Chen, who writes,
"This is a very delicious and substantial soup which combines meat, vegetables, and bean thread. It can be prepared and heated up before being served at banquets as well as at family meals."

2/3 lb. Chinese cabbage (celery cabbage or napa), about 3 cups, 1 1/2" sections
2 oz. dried bean thread (cellophane noodles)
6 cups water
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1/2 t salt

For the meatballs:
1/2 lb ground beef [orig. recipe called for ground pork, about 1/4 fat]
1/4 t salt
1 T soy sauce
1 T minced scallion
1/2 t minced ginger root (I keep it already grated in the freezer)
1 t dry sherry
4 T water
2 t cornstarch

Preparation

1. In a bowl, mix the meat with the salt, soy sauce, scallion, ginger, and sherry. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time while with a spoon or a fork, mixing in one direction until all the water is used up and the meat has become a smooth paste. Sprinkle in the cornstarch and mix well.

2. Soak the bean thread in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and cut the thread into 6 inch lengths.

3. Wash the cabbage and drain. Cut the cabbage stalks into 1 1/2" sections.

Cooking

In a saucepan bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the cabbage, bring back to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the salt, soy sauce, and bean thread and cook for another 2 minutes. With a spoon scoop some meat mixture and with the help of the palm of your left hand, form the meat into a ball about 1 1/4" in diameter. Wet your left hand beforehand and also dip the spoon in a bowl of cold water every time you start a new meat ball. Drop the balls in the boiling soup one by one until all the meat is finished. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot.

Gung hay fat choy!

o

Super easy. Brown it with s&p, drain, then stir in can of cream of mushroom soup mix (no water or milk). Serve with noodles or rice and veggie.

o

Simple- 1/4 batch of Woodie chili/ 2 burgers/some of the above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here