Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Old Bakers Chocolate Fudge Recipe

Posted by Ginny20 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 18:53

Does anyone have the recipe for fudge that used to be on the back of the Bakers Semisweet Chocolate box at least fifteen years ago? It has evaporated milk and mini marshmallows, not sweetened condensed milk, which is the recipe they currently show. I've tried several versions of marshmallow/evaporated milk fudge, and none are as good as the one I used to make. The proportions must be different.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Old Bakers Chocolate Fudge Recipe

I don't have that one, but I do have the one off the old Hershey cocoa can. And my mother's marshmallow fudge recipe.

o

Can't sleep so I did some searching for you.

How about this one from Recipezaar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy no fail (no thermometer) fudge

o

Here is another one from the same site. Very similar with slightly different portions.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another semi sweet - mini marshmallow fudge recipe

o

And I have the one that was on the back of the Kraft Marshmallow Crème jar for years, it's changed now. I don't like the new one as well as the old one.

Maybe this is close...

Fantasy Fudge

3 cups white sugar
3/4 cup margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
2. Mix sugar, margarine, and evaporated milk in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and cook to soft ball stage, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and thoroughly combined. Beat in marshmallow creme, walnuts, and vanilla extract. Transfer fudge to the prepared pan and let cool before cutting into squares.

Makes 3 pounds

Annie

o

Thanks for taking the time to post these. I haven't tried any of the marshmallow fluff versions yet.

o

Another fantasy fudge lover. Almost the same recipe as Annie, except mine is all done in the microwave. Even easier.

Melt butter, add sugar and milk. Stir. Bake for three minutes. Stir. Bake for 2 minutes. Stir. Bake for three minutes. Stir. Bake for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir. Cool for five minutes and then add the rest. Pour it into the pan and you're done.

o

Maybe this is the recipe. I made this one years ago. -Grainlady

5 MINUTE FUDGE

2 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. Carnation milk (sm. can)
1 2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. marshmallows (sm. ones)
2 bars Baker semi-sweet chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans

Cook milk, butter, sugar and salt for 5 minutes after it comes to a full boil. Remove from heat. Add marshmallow, chocolate bars, vanilla and pecans. Beat until all melts. Pour into buttered dish and refrigerate. Cut into squares when cool.

This post was edited by grainlady on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 16:25

o

I think Annie's recipe is what you are looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.backofthebox.com

o

Thank you, akgirl, that has the old divinity recipe I used to use and lost, and I'm bookmarking that site so I can look through it. After Christmas, when all the cookie calories wear off, LOL.

Ginny, I hope you find YOUR recipe too.

Annie

o

I also found this one, it's a little hard to see but you can zoom it. I did a google search for Vintage Baker's Chocolate Fudge recipe and came up with this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Baker's ad

o

I think it might be that one from backofthebox.com! I remember it was a package of bakers chocolate, with each piece broken, and a can of evap milk. Many of the recipes call for 9 oz or 12 oz of chips, but this was definitely 8 oz of chocolate. And that extra butter would make it very creamy.

Thanks to everyone who helped! DD and I are going to make a batch this weekend. Clearly, I'm going to have to walk the dog even farther every day to make up for the Christmas calories. Or did I read somewhere that calories don't count at Christmas?

Best wishes to you all for wonderful holidays.

o

I hope that Arkansas Girl found the winner, Ginny. And yes, calories definitely don't count at Christmas:)

I have to tell you that I was utterly shocked when I went to make the requisite Chocolate Snowballs for our cookie plate. The tried and true recipe from my mom said "2 squares" of unsweetened chocolate, but the Baker's chocolate now has "new" squares. You now need you need 4 of the little squares to make 1 oz which was the size of the old "square" in my and maybe your recipe. You might just want to check.

I finally changed the recipe (silly, but made me sad) to ounces in case those dang squares change again:)

Cathy in SWPA

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker's Chocolate

o

I'm so mad at Baker's Chocolate. They have halved the size and kept the price. Grrrrrrrr. @$^@&%@&^%#!

That being said, I'm intrigued that there's a fudge recipe without marshmallows. I don't eat fudge because it's not vegetarian - that and I don't like it that much. But, fudge without marshmallows might be better tasting, not so icky sweet.

Sally

o

Thank you both so much for pointing out this change in Bakers. I only bought one "bar", thinking it was the old 8 oz. Thanks to your alertness, I can get another when I do my final shop today. You saved me some grief. Merry Christmas!

o

I'm mad at Bakers too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here