Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub question for you cookie bakers

Posted by noinwi (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 18:44

I want to try a new ginger cookie recipe that I cut and pasted from a site(can't remember where so I'm sorry I'm not giving credit where it's due).
It calls for 2 Tbs of dark corn syrup. Don't have it, not gonna go buy it just for this recipe. I don't have honey. I do have regular molasses, but I don't like a strong molasses taste in cookies(unless they are actually molasses cookies). I assume the corn syrup does something to the texture? Would 2 Tbs make that much difference? Can it be left out, or could a tiny amount of molasses be used instead? TIA

Here is the recipe:

Fresh Ginger Cookies

Ingredients
� 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
� 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
� 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
� 1/4 teaspoon salt
� 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
� 1 1/4 cups sugar
� 2 large eggs
� 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
� 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
� 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350� F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs, corn syrup, and grated ginger and mix until well combined. Blend in the flour mixture, cover, and refrigerate until slightly stiff (the dough will be easier to handle).
3. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and the remaining sugar. Form the dough into 1/2-inch balls and roll each in the cinnamon sugar. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub question for you cookie bakers

Do you have light corn syrup? I would sub that first, but lacking either, yes, I would give the molasses a shot. Make a single batch and see if the flavor works for you, that is the onyl true test.

Alexa

PS and do not just omit it.... it does make a difference!

o

I would use two or three TEA spoons of mole asses or skip it and split the sugar w/ some dark brown or at least the qtr cup as it appears the main reason for the cs is to add some color to otherwise blonde ingredients. I never use corn syrup in anything ever. I either find a new recipe or simply omit it. All my ginger bread/cakes, cookie and snap recipes have a qtr cup or more of molasses.

o

That amount of grated ginger root is going to dominate. 2 T. unsulphered molasses won't give a strong flavor. My recipe uses 1 1/2 c. flour with 1/2 c. molasses.

o

Thanks everyone, I'll try the molasses.

o

Noinwi:
You are a tough nut to crack LOL !

I use Karo - Waffle and Pancake Syrup.

If you make Waffles or Pancakes, it will not be wasted.

I have Honey and Maple Syrup but prefer the taste of Karo.

Also use it to make Cinnamon Buns.

LOU

o

I don't think I've bought corn syrup or Karo since the 70's. I sometimes have pancake syrup(not currently)and if I buy honey it doesn't last long...I end up eating it with a spoon.
I bake sweet things only a few times a year. I wanted to add this recipe to my other cookies because one of the friends I bake for loves ginger and so do I. But I've done my shopping for the rest of the month and won't make a special trip for corn syrup.
I will try the recipe with 1 Tbs of molasses and see how I like it.

o

By using molasses, you're essentially turning the white sugar into brown sugar. I don't think 2T. of molasses is going to affect the flavor of the cookies much at all.

Formulas for making your own brown sugar:

Light brown sugar--1 c. granulated sugar + 1 T. molasses

Dark brown sugar--1 c. granulated sugar + 2 T. molasses

o

I don't buy brown sugar...I just add a little molasses to white if a recipe calls for brown.
My concern was the affect the corn syrup(or lack of)has on the texture. I'll just make the darn things already and see how it goes.
Thanks again for your responses.

o

I found the site that had the cookie recipe. The link is below. The ones in the webpage look similar to Snickerdoodles, probably due to them being rolled in cinnamon sugar.
Mine look boring, but they taste very good, tender with a good ginger bite. I didn't want to adulterate my 'ginger cookies' with 'cinnamon', so I mixed ginger with the rolling sugar.
I used 1 Tbs of regular molasses(you can't taste it at all) and increased the butter to 1/2 cup because 1/4 cup seemed like too little(I don't do low-fat anything). The first part of the batch(on the right in the photo)puffed up a lot into little mountains(maybe the added butter?)and stayed that way. I never noticed(can you say ADD?)that the recipe called for rolling 1/2" balls...really? Does that seem right? I'm used to making fairly large cookies, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" balls. So for the rest of the batch(the ones on the left), I managed to get the dough balls down to 1" and I flattened them a little with the bottom of a glass. I think they look a little better. Either way I'm happy with the taste and I think my friend will like them too.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Ginger Cookies

o

I see that your cookies turned out wonderful! I checked for substitutes for dark corn syrup, and the site I found said that the dark corn syrup has a light molasses flavor. So it worked out fine that you used the molasses. Maybe for a lighter flavor you could mix the molasses with a simple syrup that you can make yourself, or substitute simple syrup for the corn syrup. Here is a quote from the site I found:

"dark corn syrup: This corn syrup has a mild molasses flavor, and it's a common ingredient in barbecue sauce, pecan pie, Substitutes: simple syrup (make with 2 parts sugar and 1 part water) OR Combine 3 parts light corn syrup plus 1 part molasses OR golden syrup"

o

Thanks Blizlady, I never even thought about making my own syrup!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here