Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Sweet" suggestions for kidney patient?

Posted by slowlane (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 18:43

My new neighbor suffers from some kind of kidney problem. I know she is unable to work and is on disability because of her condition. I don't know her well at all, but I'd like to give her and her husband a plate of Christmas treats as I do my other neighbors. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when baking for a person with kidney problems?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Sweet" suggestions for kidney patient?

I'd ask first. She might have other conditions that caused the kidney problems.

o

I agree, there could be other health issues, like diabetes, etc. I know my stepmother couldn't eat foods high in potassium while she was on dialysis. Now her kidneys are better but she can't eat green stuff because she's on Coumadin, so you should definitely check.

It's nice of you to make goodies, though, and I'm sure they'd love some.

Annie

o

Thanks--she doesn't really associate with anyone--I guess she's just not able--but maybe her husband could tell me what she could have.

o

I recently started making freezer meals for my parents. Dad has stage 3 kidney failure along with a host of other health issues, meaning he has to maintain a low potassium, low cholesterol, low sodium diet. Mom is "pre"-diabetic (if there is such a thing), and follows a strict diabetic diet.

It's especially tricky because they insist on eating the same meals, so everything has to fit all of the dietary criteria. I found the amazing website linked below (I have no affiliation). I can't say whether the desserts are good because I haven't gotten that far. They do enjoy the main dishes. I print out the nutrition info for each recipe and attach it to the containers so they can plan the day's meals more effectively. That might work for your neighbor.

I hope you find this helpful. Bless you for wanting to do this. Too often people become ignored for their issues when all it takes is a little effort by someone who cares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Davita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here