Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brulee... anyone!!

Posted by klseiverd (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 18:17

Don't have one of those cute little torches... picturing BURNS!?! Watched Good Eats this morning and Alton made lasagna in a CROCK POT!?! Interesting, but not for me. Too deep... bottom half would pretty much miss out on the gooey/browned cheese on top. No corners or near burnt edges... favorite parts.

BUT at the end, he layered on the shredded mozz and melted/browned it with a HEAT GUN!?! The tool ya use when you're stripping PAINT!! So I get brilliant idea! I dust of heat tool in craft room... for rubber stamp embossing. Put some of my rice pudding test (thanks again to all for their input) in small baking cup, sprinkled with raw sugar (white would surely work, too), and had at it with the heat tool... looks a little like a small hair dryer. Didn't go as quickly as seems to on TV cooking shows, but sugar melted, bubbled, browned, and resulted in that CRACK ya want when you stick a spoon in. Et Voila, BRULEE!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brulee... anyone!!

Oh yes, it works.

I have one, with two settings. You can also use it to brown meat.

It is not expensive. About $15.00 at HarborFreight.

dcarch

o

I wish I'd thought about my heat gun when I made creme brulee and had no fuel for the torch. I put it under the broiler. Meh.

o

All I can say is that is a much funner use than chipping old linoleum off a cement floor!

o

I used the propane torch I had (lost it in the flood) for plumbing. It's $20 here. Got it at Lowe's, but since it was already on hand... that made it easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here