SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Creme Brulee French Toast (Woodie) - Questions

jeri
12 years ago

I did a test run on this recipe, DH loved it, but I think there is room for improvement. The bottom (where the brown sugar is) was very soggy - is it supposed to be soggy? I'm sure it was my fault - I can somehow find a way to mess up any recipe, which is why I always do a test run.

I used a 1-lb fresh baked French bread - ends removed. I'm now thinking I should have used day old bread?

I cut the bread into 6 slices, but they were about 2 inches thick and there were gaps in the pan. So, I'm thinking to slice them closer to 1 inch? And add more to the pan?

I used 5 extra large eggs - which are what I had on hand - I think this was too much egg? The recipe didn't specify size - but I bet it is not extra large.

I also think the pieces were too big (portion wise) and I am wondering if using a baguette would make for a better presentation. I will be serving this Christmas morning with other things, so being able to take just one or two smaller pieces might be better?

Also - I would like to up the Grand Marnier to 3 Tablespoons - what do you think?

Any help is appreciated!

Here is the original recipe for review:

1 stick Butter

1 cup Brown Sugar

2 tablespoon Corn Syrup

8-10 inch round country loaf -- or 1 pound French bread or 1 Challah

5 eggs

1 1/2 cup half and half

1 teaspoon Vanilla

1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (optional)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.

2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.

3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.

4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown

Comments (9)