Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creme Brulee French Toast (Woodie) - Questions

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 18:09

I did a test run on this recipe, DH loved it, but I think there is room for improvement. The bottom (where the brown sugar is) was very soggy - is it supposed to be soggy? I'm sure it was my fault - I can somehow find a way to mess up any recipe, which is why I always do a test run.

I used a 1-lb fresh baked French bread - ends removed. I'm now thinking I should have used day old bread?

I cut the bread into 6 slices, but they were about 2 inches thick and there were gaps in the pan. So, I'm thinking to slice them closer to 1 inch? And add more to the pan?

I used 5 extra large eggs - which are what I had on hand - I think this was too much egg? The recipe didn't specify size - but I bet it is not extra large.

I also think the pieces were too big (portion wise) and I am wondering if using a baguette would make for a better presentation. I will be serving this Christmas morning with other things, so being able to take just one or two smaller pieces might be better?

Also - I would like to up the Grand Marnier to 3 Tablespoons - what do you think?

Any help is appreciated!

Here is the original recipe for review:

1 stick Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoon Corn Syrup
8-10 inch round country loaf -- or 1 pound French bread or 1 Challah
5 eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.
2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.
3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.
4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creme Brulee French Toast (Woodie) - Questions

As for Grand marnier....the more the better.
I suspect any sogginess was caused by your bread....you need a high quality bread....not one that "squishes"w hen you cut it....a good firm bread.

o

Thanks Linda!

As for Grand marnier.....the more the better.

Yea!

I suspect any sogginess was caused by your bread

What do you recommend? There is a deli near by that makes bread - what should I ask for? Should I use day old bread?

o

I make this for all the holidays and I used challah bread. I order one braided loaf per pan. I guess my slices about are about 1 1/2 inches thick but I do a lot of small pieces. I cut them and fill the pan with no gaps before I touch any of the other ingredients and then take them out staged to go back in the pan. Anal I know ;-> I also shave off any really hard bottom edges.

I noticed that the brown sugar comes out different if it is a glass pan versus a metal one but I can't remember which is which. I just flip the slice over and pretend it's syrup. I also have it in the fridge at least 24 hours.

Extra Grand Marnier could never hurts. Maybe cooking it a smidge longer would help with sogginess. Since my dishes are always cold from the fridge I tend to cook it a little longer.

Keep playing with the recipe, with these ingredients it would be almost impossible to mess it up beyond eating.

o

Oh yum, I love the stuff and my office staff asks for it regularly, they say it's a cross between flan and french toast.

I use homemade bread, usually Grandma's Farmhouse White, which is sweet, dense and eggy anyway, much like challah, I cut about an inch thick because I want egg all the way through. I use all sizes of eggs, because I use whatever I currently have and that the chickens are laying. Even now I don't have hens, I get my eggs from the Amish, and they can vary greatly.

I leave out the Cointreau entirely, so I'm sure it would be OK with more, LOL, you can have the part that I leave out of mine!

And, just to gild the lily, I always have a shaker of powdered sugar at the ready, although my girls really want "fried apples" to go with it. Just some peeled and sliced baking apples, preferably MacIntosh for us, sauteed in butter and sprinkled with brown sugar when they are nearly done.

Hey, it's got fruit and eggs, it's healthy1 (grin)

Annie

o

I haven't made this recipe, but this site hasn't steered me wrong yet

Here is a link that might be useful: Creme Brulee French Toast tutorial

o

I use a french bread....the "artisan French" at Walmart is the best I can get in town.....the supermarket French loaf is "squishy".

o

I'm not trying to be critical, nor am I trying to police the CF, but I have to say...

The OP was about Woodie's Creme Brulee French Toast. I don't understand why someone would post about another recipe that they haven't made yet. I think most posters here try to post T+T recipes.

I'm sure that if the OP was looking for another recipe they would ask. IMO

Nancy

o

ynnej, thank you for trying to help the OP, even if others don't appreciate it. I am a visual person myself and I enjoy seeing how other successful cooks have made different dishes along similar themes. Plenty of people chime in here with their own versions of recipes even when another is specified in a subject line. I personally believe that the more information, the better. The OP and anyone else can make their own decisions on what to use, and seeing different procedures and techniques can be beneficial.

I also enjoy Smitten Kitchen and every single recipe I've tried from there has been amazing. I consider that site to be a T&T source. Like Pioneer Woman and even some posters here, I know that everything I try of theirs will be good. Same with Smitten Kitchen.

o

Thank you, Chi. Nancy I'm sending you a cyber hug, watch out, it might catch you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here