Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Potatoes to Serve with Ham

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 17:26

I am hosting my family on Christmas Day and am having a spiral ham and a rib roast. What potatoes would be good to serve with these? My sister is hosting Christmas Eve and having scalloped potatoes, so they're out. I thought of baked stuffed potatoes. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Potatoes to Serve with Ham

Creamed potatoes with dill....
make a medium white sauce using half cream and half chicken broth, sautee some finely chopped onions in the butter before you add the flour...
Then add some dill seed to the white sauce and put it over cooked diced white potatoes.
2 cups of white sauce should be good for about 5 medium potatoes.
You can garnish with chopped green onion and or chopped fresh parsley.
Linda C

o

Who had the recent recipe for sweet potato casserole layered with caramelized onions? That would be heavenly with ham.

o

Since you sister is serving scalloped potatoes Christmas Eve, I agree with Sushipup. Sweet potatoes would be great.

o

My family and friends really like these potatoes. Note, I do add more cheese then what the recipe calls for. Very simple ingredients but makes a very good dish of potatoes.

New Potatoes Gruyere
Start to Finish: 30 min.
2 pounds whole tiny new potatoes (24 to 32)
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (2 ounces)
Snipped parsley (optional)

1. Halve any large potatoes. With a vegetable peeler, peel a strip around the center of each potato. In a large saucepan cook the potatoes and onion in a small amount of boiling salted water for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, for cheese sauce in a small saucepan combine the flour, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir in the milk and the broth all at once until blended. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir just until cheese melts. Add the cheese sauce to the potatoes; heat through. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the snipped parsley, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 205, Total Fat (g) 4, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 12, Sodium (mg) 85, Carbohydrate (g) 36, Protein (g) 7, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Source: BHG

o

I am serving Potatoes Romanoff with ham on Christmas eve. I don't think they would be too close to scalloped. The sweet potatoes sound good - but not for my picky crowd!

o

Over roasted sweet potato fries. You can also use carrots and parsnips. This is from Cat Cora.

* 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
* 1/2 tsp. dried Italian herb seasoning

Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray.

Spread the sweet potato strips out onto the baking sheet in a single layer, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and spices, turning them over to evenly coat on all sides with oil and spices.

Bake for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes with spatula. Serve warm.

o

Darned if I can remember the name but one of DD's favourite celebration potatoes is to peel the potatoes, then slice thinly but not all the way through so all the slices are joined at the base. (I put a table knife on either side of the potato and when I slice, the knife cuts down as far as the table knives and stops so no accidents :-). ) Brush well with melted butter then top with a heavy sprinkling of breadcrumbs mixed with grated Parmesan cheese. Roast in the oven, basting with melted butter frequently until done. Ah, just remembered, it's Hasselback Potatoes!

o

This one is more presentation than recipe but they look so cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato Dominoes

o

How about Sweet Potatoes/yam with caramelized onions. This is now a favourite of Moe's. I serve it as a side with ham along with the potato gratin. The recipe came from Gail, the woman I work with.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
======================================

Recipe from Gail

3 or 4 Sweet Potatoes
1 large onion
olive oil
butter
Salt
Pepper

Cook onions in oil and butter until caramelized. Should take about 25 to 30 minutes.

While onions are cooking Boil potatoes until tender. Run under cold water to remove peel.

Mash sweet potatoes, add caramelized onions, a chunk of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like them even creamier add a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream.

o

Those Potato Dominoes are waaay cool!

San lightened up this Barefoot Contessa recipe a bit.

Potato Fennel Casserole
barefoot contessa (from San)

2 small fennel bulbs
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 pounds russet potatoes (4 large potatoes)
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream ***1 C chicken broth, C cream***
2 1/2 cups grated Gruyre cheese (1/2 pound) ***1/4#***
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter the inside of a 10-by-15-by-2-inch (10-cup) baking dish.
Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise.
Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately
4 cups of sliced fennel. Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and
butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline. Mix
the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyre,
salt, and pepper. Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
Pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Press down to smooth the potatoes.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup of Gruyre and
sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very
tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set for 10 minutes and
serve.

Potato Kugel, moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, is a staple of Eastern European Jewish cooking. While there are many variations of potato kugel (which add carrots, zucchini, garlic...), this Basic Potato Kugel recipe is still my favorite.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 00 minutes
Ingredients:
8 medium potatoes
2 onions
6 eggs
1/2 cup oil
4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 heaping Tbsp. salt
1/2-1 tsp. pepper
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celcius).
2. In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion by hand or food processor. Let stand 3-5 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid. Add grated potatoes to the egg-flour mixture. Mix by hand only until smooth.
4. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until golden brown on top and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

YIELD: 12-14 servings.

o

forgot about kugle.....and along those lines how about Rosti potatoes....pretty much shredded potatoes and onions in a frying pan...like a giant hash brown!
I guess I am one of the odd ones...I don't like sweet potatoes with ham...too much sweet and too much pink and orange together.

o
Ham

Me too Linda, the only thing I really enjoy sweet potatoes with is fresh pork.

o

I made those sweet potatoes with caramelized onions for Thanksgiving. They were delicious!

o

I am not a fan of sweet potatoes at all, so I can't give an unbiased opinion on any of the sweet potato ideas. But here are a few T&T's for regular potatoes!

Potatoes Savoyarde

1T unsalted butter, melted plus
3T unsalted butter cut into small pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2T finely chopped fresh parsley
1-1/2c shredded gruyere cheese
1/4tsp freshly ground pepper
2-1/2lb potatoes, unpeeled and sliced
1-1/2c chicken stock

Preheat oven to 375F. Brush 2qt. baking dish with melted butter. In small bowl stir together garlic, parsley, cheese and pepper. Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish and sprinkle 1/3 of the garlic/cheese mixture over the top. Dot with 1T of the butter pieces. Repeat the layers once, and finish with the remaining potatoes. Pour the stock and then the remaining garlic/cheese mixture, dot with remaining butter pieces. Cover dish with foil buttered on one side. Bake 30 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is brown and crusty, about 30-40 minutes longer. Serves 6

(from Williams Sonoma)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wild Rice Potato Rosti

1/2c wild rice, cooked
2lb potatoes, cooked and peeled
3T walnut oil
1tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 onion coarsely grated and drained
2T fresh thyme
Salt & pepper

Coarsely grate cooked potatoes into large bowl. Add cooked rice.

Heat 2T oil in large non-stick frying pan. Add mustard seeds, when seeds begin to "pop" add onion, cook gently for 5 minutes or until soft.

Add onions to potatoes & rice, add thyme and mix thoroughly. Season with salt & pepper.

Heat remaining oil in pan. Add potato mixture, press down well and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden on bottom. Cove pan with plate and flip over, slide rosti back into frying pan and cook other side 10 minutes more, or until golden. Cut in wedges and serve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Potato Gratin
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

1 clove garlic, halved
Cooking Spray
1 c onion, chopped
6 medium sized baking potatoes, peeld and cut tino 1/8 inch slices
tsp salt
tsp pepper
c extra sharp cheddar, grated
c romano cheese, grated
1-3/4 c chicken broth
1 c evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425

Rub a shallow 3 qt casserole with cut sides of garlic halves, discard garlic. Coat dish with cooking spray.

Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium heat until hot. Add Onion and saut 5 minutes or until tender., set aside.

Arrange 1/3 of potato slices in prepared casserole, sprinkle with half the salt and half of the pepper. Top with half of the onions and half of the cheeses. Repeat layers, ending with potato slices.

Bring broth and milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour over potatoes. Bake, uncovered for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Linda

o

I'd be happy with a sweet potato dish with my ham but not with the beef! For my beef I want either mashed potatoes and gravy or roasted potatoes. Roasted potatoes would go well with both.

Barnmom, did you make the one Ann posted or the casserole that KatieC posted? I want to try the casserole for Christmas and would love some feedback.

Sweet Potato And Caramelized Onion Casserole (Katiec)

2 large sweet potatoes -- peeled and thinly sliced
2 large onions -- sliced
1 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl butter
1 Tbl dark brown sugar

Drizzle onions with oil and cook on low heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.

Layer 1/2 sweet potato slices in a shallow 1 qt. casserole dish. Cover with caramelized onions. Layer remaining sweet potato slices over onions.

Dot with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar.~

Bake uncovered at 350F for about an hour or until casserole is browned on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here