Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barnmom, I made your hot cocoa mix!

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 17:21

It's very tasty, however, I'm not using it for hot chocolate. Instead, I'm adding 1-2 tablespoons to coffee for a homemade mocha. I have to drink decaf coffee, and every once in a while I get a craving for a mocha. I don't particularly like the kind available at coffee joints because I'm not a fan of milky drinks. So I thought I'd give a homemade chocolate mix a try.

Your recipe is just perfect. It gives my decaf coffee just enough chocolatey flavor to satisfy my craving but without the milkiness I get at places like Starbucks. I always keep some heavy cream on hand, so if I want it creamier, I'll add a tablespoon or two. (Yes, in my special world, there is a distinct difference between something being creamy and something being milky. I cannot tolerate liquid milk but cream in small quantities is OK.)

I whirled everything up in a coffee grinder, so the end result is a nice powder reminiscent of the chocolate powders available at coffee houses. I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa.

Anyhow, thanks for the recipe. I tried other homemade cocoa recipes that included powdered creamer, but they had a strange flavor I didn't like. I especially appreciate the fact that your recipe contains simple and "real" ingredients. I'll be using it throughout the winter, maybe even the summer. (By the way, since I pulverize everything, it mixes with hot coffee just fine. I put the mocha powder into the bottom of my mug, add a bit of coffee, stir until well blended, and then fill to the brim.) I finally have a solution to my mocha cravings but with the ability to accommodate my need of decaf and avoidance of liquid milk.

Hot Cocoa Mix

1/4 cup of powdered milk
1 tablespoon Droste cocoa powder
1 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon good quality instant coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder

Dissolve mix in 1/4 cup of cold water in a large mug (powered milk clumps in really hot water), add hot water to fill.

It also works nicely in a blender with a few ice cubes and some cold water.

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barnmom, I made your hot cocoa mix!

Looks good. I'll have to try it.

I do that with my coffee. We keep a big can of hot chocolate mix next to the coffee maker and add a tablespoon or two to our afternoon coffee. With creamer (dry or liquid) it's a pretty great drink. Gets us through those afternoon meetings.

o

I'm pretty sure that the cocoa has caffeine so you may want to check on that if you aren't supposed to have any caffeine at all! I know my BIL cannot have anything chocolate because he can't have caffeine.

o

Yes, I know about chocolate and caffeine. So on the few occasions I make a homemade mocha, I try to have it as an afternoon snack, definitely no later than 6 PM. It can keep me awake, but the real reason I avoid it is because overdoing caffeine brings on tinnitus attacks.

o
Suggestions for peppermint cocoa?

I really like these cocoa, mocha recipes! I'd like to create my own peppermint variety since I'm almost out of Starbuck's variety. What would I use to add that peppermint flavour? Crushed candy canes? Peppermint extract? How to add liquid peppermint extract? To the sugar?
Sorry to hijack thread but need some ideas. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here