Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LindaC, soda and baking powder?

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 17:10

Hello Linda,

You're in demand. :)

I made your apple cake with cake gravy today for dinner at friends this evening. It looks wonderful. As I'm not particularly a baker (just follow directions) I wonder why using both baking powder and baking soda is better than just baking soda? And can that be done for everything, or just certain recipes?

Thank you,
Kathleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LindaC, soda and baking powder?

I subbed some of the BP for soda....as with all the apples and brown sugar the cake has an acid base.....and I think it tastes better. Acid makes the soda "work".....and I like the taste it gives better than BP.
No not always better....but lots of cakes calling for fruit call for both BP and soda...particular old time recipes. BP used to contain an aluminum compound and be a bit bitter....so often with an acid ingredient cake like brown sugar or fruit or chocolate, the leavening could be partly soda and cut down on the bitter flavor. The BP I use is double acting but doesn't contain aluminum sulfate....but when I can I sill sub some soda for some of the BP...
Linda C

o

OK, thank you, Linda. I'm going to print your reply & put it in my reference file so I don't ask you again next year. :)

Happy New Year!
Kathleen

o

I was always taught that chocolate cakes, apple spice cakes and muffins etc using butter milk take baking soda and either less or no BP at all......and you must rush to get those things into the oven. And cakes made with egg whites like angelfood and other white cakes take cream of tartar.
It's likely not engraved in stone...but that's a rule of thumb.
My grandmother never measured....and often her cakes were bitter from baking powder. She used an aluminum salts powder Calumet....my mother used a single acting brand, Royal.....she always said that "that other st7uff is nasty!"LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here