Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg Nog

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:04

So I will be making a dairy free eggnog tonight. The recipe states you can have it raw or cook it and let it cool, then refrigerate. Any recommendations for what route I should take? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/11/28/homemade-paleo-eggnog-rich-creamy-and-dairy-free-152477

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg Nog

Hmmm. Interesting recipe. I'd go raw just because I in general prefer raw eggnog. Plus it's easier, plus the cooked version seems to be for those concerned about the raw egg. If raw egg doesn't concern you then that's what I'd do.

o

Too late for anything constructive, but I'd like to know how it turned out and what method you used?

Personally, I would have pasteurized the whole, room temperature, eggs first, then separated them for the yolks and made the "raw" version.

To pasteurize whole, in-shell, room temperature eggs:

Heat them to 140-degrees in a pan of hot water (enough to cover the eggs), and maintain the temperature for 3-1/2 minutes. It's enough time to pasteurize without cooking the eggs.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Pasteurize Eggs At Home

o

I still haven't made it. Thanks for the tip.
I wonder if it will last longer if it is the cooked version? I have a feeling no one will like it and I will going at it alone so I wouldn't mind if it lasted, say 3-4 days.
I have a couple of things to make this afternoon so hopefully I do it. Oh, I have two dozen farm fresh eggs and definitely plan on using them for this. I will let you know of the outcome.

o

I hate to seem argumentative but I think that's misleading advice, potentially dangerous advice for someone who for medical reasons is concerned about the approx 1 in 20,000 chance of an egg having salmonella. Whole egg must be brought to 140 and HELD at for 3.5 minutes to be pasteurized; placing a vaguely room temperature egg in 140 water for 3.5 minutes does not meet this requirement. Worth noting, at 140 deg the egg white is well on its way to being cooked. If you want a safe egg that's almost as good as raw, 135 deg for 75 minutes is what seems to be scientifically accepted.

Picture of eggs at various temperature from douglasbaldwin.com:

Here is a link that might be useful: Must be HELD at temps (Cornell link)

o

Thanks foodonastump! If I can remember the collective group of County Extension Foods Agents who taught this method for pasteurizing eggs during a class I attended, I'm sending them all the link you provided.

I believe using Egg Beaters would be the safe thing to use since they are pasteurized (pasteurized whole eggs are not available around here). Not sure why the Paleo recipe used egg yolks, possibly as a thickener and for the golden color, but a little xanthan gum and a drop or two of yellow food coloring will accomplish that.

Anyway, cookie8, leftover egg nog makes great French toast batter (add a little extra vanilla to the batter ), and I have a recipe someplace for Egg Nog Quick Bread that was a good recipe for the freezer. I also put egg nog in our morning smoothie - I just love the taste of nutmeg, and would also love the mixture of almond and coconut milk :-).

Last week I spent a day making low-carb sweetened condensed milk from homemade almond milk, powdered coconut milk, and a simple recipe using non-fat dry milk, trying to make sugar-free recipes for my dear friend, and trying to see which one was "best". Crazy - huh?

-Grainlady

o

Well, I ended up doing the cooked version. It has a slight taste of coconut but more of an eggnog taste. It is also the first time I used fresh grated nutmeg.
I will make again. No one else tried it though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here