Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone ever made horchata?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 17:03

My guys are big fans of the show Psych and it seems this drink is featured in one of the episodes. Needless to say, I am going to make the following recipe for them tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone here has a T&T recipe or can offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Alexa

Lolas Horchata

"A refreshing Mexican drink made with rice, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. A great balance for spicy foods, enjoy this served over ice."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
5 cups water
1/2 cup milk 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours.
2. Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone ever made horchata?

I have made something similar, but with the burnt crispy rice from the bottom of the pot , and coconut milk

Not too bad.

dcarch

o

No, but I've always wanted to, too! Please let us know how it turns out

o

I've neither made it nor tasted it.
But it is sold in cartons in our local Walmart.
I may have to get brave enough to try it one day.

;>)

Rusty

o

I made the horchata today, and honestly, I think it is "meh". Too sweet, and not enough complexity I think. That said, both the kids and DH loved it because they are huge fans of sweet drinks.

So... will I make it again? Yes, for the men in my life... but it is another thing I can easily pass on......

Alexa

o

I'm a little late to this post but we use Rick Bayless' horchata recipe. Horchata should have a very refreshing, complex taste. I've not seen a recipe that doesn't have almonds in it and you should let it sit overnight, at least. I found this recipe on line; it's close to what we use. If you want it richer, you can use milk but it will be very rich.

Here is a link that might be useful: SunTimes Rick Bayless Horchata

o

I've had it as a teenager, and I never liked it - it has some kind of "off" flavor that I never liked. I had it several times in Texas - enough to know not to drink it in Mexico, but now especially to avoid because of the milk. I think the cinnamon is the worst flavor in it. There are so many much better drinks in Mexico, especially the liquados. I avoid horchata like the plague now any time I go to a Mexican restaurant that serves it.

Lars

o

I�ve never made it but the horchata we drink in Spain is made from tiger nuts, water and sugar. No cinnamon.

We used to drink this ice cold in summer in Mallorca where they sold it in large iced dispensers at the bus stops and in cafe bars. The chufa nuts were also sold in rolled paper cones at bus stops.

Horchata de chufa is also sold here in cartons like milk. It�s not too sweet, tastes a bit like a vanilla milkshake (not so thick) and is very refreshing on a hot day. Here�s a quote from Wikepedia.

"In Spain, it usually refers to orxata de xufa (horchata de chufa), made from tigernuts, water, and sugar.

Originally from Valencia, the idea of making horchata from tigernuts comes from the period of Muslim presence in Valencia (from the 8th to 13th century).

It has a regulating council[4] to ensure the quality of the product and the villages where it can come from, with the Denomination of Origin. The village of Alboraia is well known for the quality of its horchata.

It is served ice cold as a natural refreshment in the summer. Tigernut horchata is also used in place of milk by the lactose intolerant."

SharonCb

o

Waving at Sharon!!! It is good toe hear from ya.

Stacie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here