SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Boneless Cross Rib Roast

donna_loomis
12 years ago

Opinions, please. While I have always been told that a cross rib roast should be treated as a pot roast (i.e., long, slow, moist cooking), as I was doing a search today I found several postings (not at GardenWeb) in which several posters insist that it can be cooked to medium rare or even rare with excellent results.

The idea is to marinate the roast for a day or so with balsamic vinegar as the base of the marinade, which is supposed to help tenderize it. In a saute pan, brown the roast on all sides, then put into a low/slow oven (200 - 250 degrees), using a meat thermometer to determine internal temperature to desired doneness. Remove from oven and let the meat rest for 15-30 minutes before slicing it across the grain.

I would love to believe this, as I would like to serve a roast for a gathering of 10 people this Christmas, but cannot afford a prime rib roast of that size.

I wonder if any of you have tried something like this with a cross rib roast and what your results were.

And even though I will be using a meat thermometer, could any of you give me a ballpark for the length of time approximately, for an 8 lb. roast? I would hate to have it completed cooking at 3:00 if dinner isn't until 5:00, so any help would be appreciated.

Comments (6)