Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boneless Cross Rib Roast

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 16:41

Opinions, please. While I have always been told that a cross rib roast should be treated as a pot roast (i.e., long, slow, moist cooking), as I was doing a search today I found several postings (not at GardenWeb) in which several posters insist that it can be cooked to medium rare or even rare with excellent results.

The idea is to marinate the roast for a day or so with balsamic vinegar as the base of the marinade, which is supposed to help tenderize it. In a saute pan, brown the roast on all sides, then put into a low/slow oven (200 - 250 degrees), using a meat thermometer to determine internal temperature to desired doneness. Remove from oven and let the meat rest for 15-30 minutes before slicing it across the grain.

I would love to believe this, as I would like to serve a roast for a gathering of 10 people this Christmas, but cannot afford a prime rib roast of that size.

I wonder if any of you have tried something like this with a cross rib roast and what your results were.

And even though I will be using a meat thermometer, could any of you give me a ballpark for the length of time approximately, for an 8 lb. roast? I would hate to have it completed cooking at 3:00 if dinner isn't until 5:00, so any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boneless Cross Rib Roast

Cross rib roast in deed is rather tough and is normally used for pot roast or stew.

That said, it can in fact be cooked to medium rare or even rare with excellent tender results.

The key is cooking it at very low temperature for a very long time.

I have not done a cross rib roast recently, can't find it here in NYC. However, I routinely cook the toughest cuts such as brisket, bottom round, etc medium rare and have fork-tender end results.

I am fortunate that I have a sous vide cooker which can keep exact temperature for the entire long cooking period. Sometimes it takes 48 to 72 hours of cooking time.

In your case, an accurate digital thermometer and an oven that can keep low temperature more or less accurately, you can try to cook the roast at extreme (but safe) low temperature for a long time, and blast the roast with 500 F to get a crusty exterior at the end. While cooking, you can keep cutting a tiny piece off to test taste if the meat is tender enough.

dcarch

o

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing:

If you use the "low & slow " method, there is no need for the "resting" part, because the meat will be evenly cooked, and the meat juicy has plenty of time to be re-absorpted.

dcarch

o

Dcarch, thank you for the information. Can you venture a guess as to approximately how long this 8 pound roast would need to cook at a low temperature? As mentioned before, I don't want the roast to finish cooking several hours before dinnertime, or several hours after either.

o

The theroy behind cooking meat at very low temperature and very long time is complicated, but you don't have to go into all the details to end up with a wonderful end result.

Here is a direct quote from another forum where there are many interests in this topic. Just to be clear, cooking at 133f will require a very accurate temperature control. If you are doing it in a regular oven, you may want to go higher and also check the temperature frequently:

dcarch
------------------------------------------------
" My cross-rib roast was a big success. So, here are the details. Cooked at 133F for 18 or 20 hours. Then given crust in a medium hot pan with some olive oil. I wanted to make sure that the outer fat got crispy -- so the browning was in medium hot rather than smoking hot pan like I usually use to sear post-sous vide. It worked out nicely.

This was a boneless roast and I snipped the twine and unrolled it before putting it into the bag since I realized that the deboning might have introduced contaminants. (The roast was 4.5 inches thick rolled up so I decided to err on the side of caution).

Anyway, the result was great. This medium-quality fairly inexpensive roast ended up tasting like a much higher-quality roast. It was fork-tender without being mushy. And made for amazing sandwiches the next day. "

o

When the boys were growing I roasted cross ribs frequently. If I saw one with some marbling I knew it would be good. But today with commercial grade beimg sold in most stores it's another story. I wouldn't buy if it's solid bright red with no fat veins (will be tough).

Preheat oven to 425 F. Cook 30 min. Reduce temp. to 325 F. and bake acoordimg to linked chart (the USDA site calls for 23 min. per lb. for rare). Boneless 8 lbs. will be in the vicinity of 3 hours. A meat thermometer is a must for me as well as a rack so the bottom won't overcook. Carve thin slices.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.txbeef.org/chefs_tips

o

Just thought I'd let you know that the roast was excellent! 24 hours before popping it in the oven I covered the roast with rock salt and let it sit uncovered in the fridge. Took it out of the fridge a couple of hours before roasting to let it come to room temperature. I put it in the oven at noon (dinner was to be at 5:00) at 225 degrees. At 3:00 it hit 130 degrees and I was a little worried that it would be overcooked by 4:30, which is when I was planning on taking it out of the oven. So, I just turned the oven off and left it in there with the door slightly ajar. I got everything else done and then at 4:30 I took it out of the oven. It now registered 140 degrees. I gave it a quick sear in a saute pan and sliced it. Perfection. Very little gray and a nice medium rare all the way through. I thought at least the end caps would offer a little more done for those who liked that, but it was superbly and consistently medium rare. Of course, being a cross rib roast it wasn't the same as a prime rib, but was actually quite tender. Now that I have done it once, I won't mind spending a bit more on a better cut of meat next time. Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here