Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need party mix advice, ASAP

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 16:36

I'm making party mix for the first time and it was like my soup and kept growing and growing and growing. I have the pan from my 18 qt roaster about 3/4ths full. I was thinking the pan would fit in the oven but it won't. I know I can bake it in the roaster itself, but at what temp? I feel sure the 250 will be way to high. Would 150 to 175 be better?

Thank you for any help.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need party mix advice, ASAP

I do mine at 250 and stir it every 15 min for about an hour. I say go for it!

Alexa

Oven Directions Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container

Here is a link that might be useful: The Original Chex Party Mix

o

caliloo, do you do yours in a Nesco roaster? If it was in the oven I'd go for it, but didn't know with the roaster.

o
oven vs roaster

I usually do it in the oven, do you have a huge roasting pan? If I had to I would certainly give it a go in the roaster.... the heat is from the sides rather than the bottom, so keep stirring the edges to the middle

Alexa

o
a thought -

Maybe leave the lid offset a bit to let the steam out. You want it crispy.

Alexa

o

Or....you can do it in the oven in 2 smaller pans.....
But the roaster will work....but leave the lid off and stir edges to the middle often...I would guess 250.
Linda C

o

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about leaving the lid off or at least ajar. I know when I've stirred it I didn't have an excess of the butter mixture anywhere to be seen and I tripled that amount. Looks like some of my friends will be getting some party mix for their weekend.....LOL.

o

What Lindac said. I do a triple batch in 2 9x13 pans. 250 degrees for one hour. I take them out to stir every 15 minutes and swap the pans sideways and front to back each time.

o

I haven't roasted it for years, since I started cooking it in a 4-quart Pyrex glass mixing bowl in the microwave. A batch of approx. 10 cups of dry ingredients takes less than 15 minutes to make and gets nice and crunchy.

o

"---I didn't think about leaving the lid off or at least ajar. ---"

If you leave the lid ajar, you probably should have the openning away from the control dial.

That's where the thermostat most likely located. With the lid ajar, it may not be able to keep temperature accurately.

dcarch

o

The party mix turned out great. When I got on the computer to post the roaster was set on 150. I left it there with the lid on for awhile, stirring from time to time. I then turned it up to 250 with the lid ajar and let it go for a while longer. I have no idea how long I cooked it, but I know for over an hour. It's nice and crisp.

o

Excellent! I'm glad everthing worked out well for you. Enjoy your party mix! :-)

Alexa

o

My sons love Party mix so much that I make huge batches of it using 2 of the largest size foil "steam table" kind of pans. This fills up two jumbo zip loc bags, one for each son to take back to college with them.

I just divide the ingredients between the two pans and mix with my hands. Then wisk and ladle the sauce over the top, mixing it in with two spatulas after each ladle full. Both pans go in the oven at 250. The pans are rotated between the top and bottom racks every 20 minutes (when they are taken out to toss) for 2 hours.

It always turns out evenly crisp and seasoned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here