SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Oven versus Rotisserie for Rib roast?

catherinet
10 years ago

DH and I enjoy a rib roast for our Christmas meal. I can buy smaller ones now that my children are Vegetarian and Vegan. (They're no fun at all. hahaha)

I have an older Farberware counter-top rotisserie that I hadn't used in a long time. So I decided to splurge and test-drive a roast on the rotisserie before doing it at christmas.

It turned out awful, but it was my fault. I spent a fortune on a 4# boneless ribeye roast. I forgot that the last time I'd rotisseried one, it was 2-3# bigger. Plus, we were putting in new kitchen lights and I got distracted.......so by the time I took it off, it was 150F. I like it rare-medium rare. It was the worst most expensive meat I've ever eaten!

So........I still don't know if I should do this at christmas. I wanted to free up the oven for other things (like a Tofurky "roast", a potato dish and veggie dish). I've been making them in the oven for all the other years, and they've been good.

Anyone else out there use a rotisserie for rib roasts? Were you happen with the result? Have you done it with ribs on? (Don't know if that would make it really uneven on the spit).

The one thing that's good about using the oven is that I have a digital thermometer, so I know constantly what the temp is.
Also.......I seemed to loose alot of juices on the rotisserie, possibly because of the big skewer clamps on each end of the roast.

Anyhow.......I sure want the christmas roast to taste better than this initial try on the rotisserie.

Any input? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!