SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Oven Baked Chicken

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow, I'll be hauling out my Dutch oven for the second time. I found the recipe online, and the sauce is more like a barbecue sauce. Instead of adding 2 tsp. of prepared mustard (which mom and I do not like in barbecue sauce), I thought Worcestershire sauce would work in it's place. Annie, I will have to try the Coke Chicken one of these days!.

Here is the original recipe:

Oven Baked Chicken

3-4 lbs. cut-up chicken (as in parts)
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1/2 c. butter
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. ketchup
Salt and pepper to taste

Place cut up chicken into Dutch oven or roasting pan. Mix remaining ingredients in saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Pour over chicken and bake at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (15)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Brad, that's a great use of the Dutch oven.

That looks like a good recipe. Couple of suggestions:

1. If the chicken is in cut-up parts, 2-3 hours may be too long. Better test with a temperature probe and taste test at some point.

2. If you are going to sub mustard with Worcestershire sauce, I don't know if you need vinegar. It may be very good. I am not sure if I am correct.

Pictures please.

dcarch

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I agree, dcarch, I think three hours would be too long for chicken at that temperature.

Although I love mustard, I think I'd just leave it out. My concern with Worcestershire sauce would be that it might be too salty with the dried soup. Actually, a couple of spoonfuls of steak sauce might be a good sub too.

Brad, you're getting lots of use out of that new dutch oven!

Annie

• Related Discussions

Fyi- Whole Dog Journals 2008 Food List

Q

Comments (1)
    Thank you for posting that. Interesting reading and great list. We have been feeding our pup Eagle Pack Holistic for about 8 months now and we're big fans. Nice to see it made the list. :)
    ...See More

What's Cooking in Your Kitchen Today?

Q

Comments (15)
    I need to get up and get busy...have soup to make and laundry to do I'm thinking of trying that sugar free pumpkin cheesecake, but it calls for almond meal. I have almonds, but directions I've found for almond meal say to use a coffee grinder and flour sifter, and I have neither. I have a hand blender, I will try that. Only need 1/2 cup.
    ...See More

Update: A Little On Topic and A Little Off Topic

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm so sorry to here about the direction you're headed... it's not an easy path to follow. BTDT. Please remember to take care of yourself too. One thing for your DH's soothies. My DH could only have liquids but had a dairy allergy. Grainlady suggested adding Great Lakes Gelatine - Collagen Hydolysate to his fruit or meat smoothies to add protein and needed amino acids... in the green colored can. I got it thru' Amazon from whichever vendor was cheapest because it's not inexpensive.... about $18 a big can... which lasts for awhile. My best wishes for you this holiday season. Kate
    ...See More

Lay's Jerk Chicken style chips and chicken

Q

Comments (5)
    I never buy potato chips, but that looks like a good use for them. I'll have to give that a try. What else is in the recipe? Do you use buttermilk or beer or egg? I normally use buttermilk, then flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs with herbs and Parmesan cheese when baking chicken thighs, but that is more of an Italian style.
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Here is another way to oven bake chicken - Amish style - simple and very tasty. I make this quite often.

Amish Oven Baked Chicken

1/2 cup flour
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    3 teaspoons salt
    3 pounds cut-up broiler or young chicken
    1/4 pound butter- one stick

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the dry ingredients well in a plastic bag, then coat the cut up chicken parts with the mixture.

Melt the butter in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Place the chicken parts in the pan, but do not crowd them. Bake the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until done. Turn chicken once or twice during baking.

Teresa

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

Dcarch, I think we'll check the chicken after an hour and a half of baking time. I don't have a proper meat thermometer, though :-(. When we make the sauce, I'll give it a taste test. I'll be sure and post pictures :-).

Annie, I see your point about it being too salty with the
    Worcestershire sauce. I tried steak sauce before, just a little dab on the end of my finger, and I did not like it one bit LOL. I'll leave the mustard out of it and do a taste test as I said. I love mustard as well. Especially on a roast beef hoagie or a cheeseburger :D.

Teresa, thank you for the recipe! I hate to ask you this, but is there a substitute I could use instead of the dry mustard? I don't care much for the flavor it gives, which is strange reguarding my last comment.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Brad, it's such a small amount it might not be noticeable or you could leave it out entirely. Maybe a quarter teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules? Perhaps someone else will offer a substitute for dry mustard?

Teresa

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, again, Teresa!

As promised, here are the pictures of the Oven Baked Chicken, before and after. I picked the bones of my leg quarter clean! We did not add mustard and only used 1/4 cup of the vinegar. The sauce wasn't very thick, but could we add some flour or cornstarch to make it a little thicker the next time? Also, we only baked the chicken parts for an hour and a half. Moist and flavorful! :-)

Step by step process:

Chicken parts in Dutch oven, seasoned w/salt & pepper

The sauce. It smells wonderful!

Before baking (look at the rich color!)

After baking (the best one of all)

Enjoy! We ate this with instant mashed potatoes with instant chicken gravy and Bush's baked beans. Talk about comfort food :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• westsider40
    11 years ago

It looks totally scrumptious!! And the sauce looks perfect, rich and brown and looks thick enough. Great job! Great blue pot! Great any color pot!

• Lars
    11 years ago

Instant mashed potatoes are a great thickener, and you do not have to make a slurry before adding them the way you do with cornstarch. Just sprinkle in a bit of the potato (I use potato flour or potato starch), and stir it in to thicken. Potato starch is my favorite last minute thickener for savory sauces.

I bought my first Dutch oven shortly after you did, but I haven't gotten that much use out of it yet. It was the perfect size for sauteing the vegetables for the stuffing I made for TG, but I haven't baked in it yet. I'm starting to use my real oven now more - I was in the habit of using the toaster oven way too often, and the weather has cooled slightly so that it's in the 60s and 70s instead of 70s and 80s like it was in October.

I've never made baked beans - always cooked them on stove top, but I do plan to try baking them now, to see how that turns out.

Lars

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Brad, the chicken looks delicious without thickening. However, it would be interesting to get a different mouth feel by thickening the gravy.

It would be interesting to get different tastes by doing things a little different the next time you make the same chicken, for instance, you can use a cast iron pan to brown the skin first, or instead of mustard, use curry powder, or add some orange peel, etc.

Wonderful chicken!

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I thicken sauces from my crockpot but just pouring them into a flat pan and then gently boiling them for about 10 minutes which evaporates out a lot of the water and makes them thick . . . and tasty.

As a sub for mustard without the bite, try tumeric. It has a very mild flavor and is very good for you. It is usually an ingredient in prepared mustard anyway, it's what gives it the yellow color.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again, everyone!

Lars, that is a first for me. Instant mashed potatoes as a thickener for sauces. I'll have to remember that. The Bush's baked beans mom and dad like right out of the can but I like mine heated up. I have a baked bean recipe I have written down but I haven't tried it yet. Congrats on the new Dutch oven!

dcarch, this is some of the best chicken I've ever ate in my life. Browning the chicken first would give it a nice color. I'm going to try it the next time I make it.

lpinkmountain, I think I will give turmeric a try. I remember reading how good it is for you. Most of us forget that it was herbs and spices that helped us not only with our cooking, but our health as well.

If I end up using flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce, how much should I use? Just a little at a time until it's thick enough?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Brad, I think your chicken and sauce look very good, but I would think it would be much tastier with brown crispy skin.
    I do what lpinkmountin does, run it all under the broiler to brown and crisp the skin and thicken the sauce.

You could also make the same recipe in a different type of pan, the bottom part of a metal broiling pan and then you wouldn't have to take it out of the pan to run under the broiler.
    You could be making a side dish of rice in your dutch oven while the chicken is in the oven....

• cynic
    11 years ago

Instant potatoes are a great thickener for gravies and sauces. They're also great for a carb-free meatloaf. Use them instead of breadcrumbs and the like. Snickerers be damned, instants have a place in cooking.

Another thing you could do for variety, is to dry rub the chicken, roast it and make the sauce separate. That way you could get a crispy skin, top it with the sauce and serve your favorite sides. Rice would go well with it. But I'm a Minnesota Scandinavian so potatoes are usually a requirement!

Keep a chicken in every pot and enjoy your cooking there Wolfie! :)

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I like all the above suggestions, but here's another one. Pour off the sauce and thicken it in a sauce pan when the chicken is finished. If you want to make a slurry with cornstarch, just put a teaspoon of c/s in a small dish and stir in a little water. Bring the sauce to a boil, then slowly add the slurry a little at a time, stirring constantly.

Tami..who just might make chicken for dinner!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, again, everyone!

Cynic, I think this recipe would go very well with rice. It's total comfort food either way lol ;-).

Tami, thank you for that suggestion! I will have to add that to the recipe I have typed up. I'll write out a card for my sister too :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner