Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick! Sweetened Condensed Milk, Past Date

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 16:29

I just made some Orange Chocolate Fudge using a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk. I noticed (after the fact) that the can is out of date by about a year. It tastes okay, and looked golden (like Dulce de leche). Should I toss this, or would you consume it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick! Sweetened Condensed Milk, Past Date

I know it's Mercury Retrograde when stuff like this happens.

o

I think at one year it's a quality issue, not a safety issue. If it tastes OK I would not worry about it.

Jim

o

Yeah I tend to be super conservative on fresh or open stuff. Commercially canned stuff still sealed, I say taste it. I just looked at my SCM and it has a "Best By Date" date, not a "Die After Date." Hope you enjoy!

o

Thank You Jim & FOAS. I appreciate it!

o

Check back in tomorrow, will ya?

(dibs on your Mieles if the can won....)

o

Claire:
If I remember right, we were using canned goods in Korea,
from WW2.
LOU

o

I used a can of SCM that was 2 months past its date, and it was fine. I go along with Lou....MRE's are older than your can!

Donna

o

Hey Jessy, I'm still here! (Those Mieles are still goin' strong too! I would never have believed I'd have them so long without any problems. My love affair persists!) Yeah, Lou and Donna, of course that's right. I ''shared'' the fudge with a friend who loves chocolate and orange, so she didn't taste anything awry either. I was all set to run to the grocery store, but decided not to and was glad I didn't. I guess that bright orange zest flavor came through and won favor with everyone, which was good for me!

o

cdl...did you just add orange zest to your fudge? Or extract? I have a friend who begs for my orange chocolate liqueur every Christmas...was thinking orange-choc fudge may pacify her.

Re: Mercury Rx...lol...it'll be over soon.

o

Dates on canned goods... NOT something I fuss over, tho I try to roate stuff on pantry shelves and not end up with a lot of extras. A few times a year, do a good reorganizing to get things back in their "families"... soup with soup, etc.

Did have something interesting happen with a can of sauerkraut one time. When doing one of my reorganizing things, picked up a can from WWAAYY in the back and it felt HOLLOW!?! Sauerkraut had apparently EATEN thru the can!?! No liquid on shelves and NOT detectable odor!?!

o

cdl...did you just add orange zest to your fudge? Or extract? I have a friend who begs for my orange chocolate liqueur every Christmas...was thinking orange-choc fudge may pacify her.

Okay, I'm new here - is this a recipe you are willing to divulge??

P.S. I did a google search and it did not come up.

o

(oh good cdl I'd rather have you here than your Mieles anytime, LOL! My Danby and Bosch are still going strong, though I want to beat the carp out of the Bosch when it tangles jeans/long sleeves. I should have followed my instincts and kept to an H-axis, grrrr)

o

A little late to the discussion, but I find the link below a useful tool with use-by and best-by dates. Still Tasty - your ultimate shelf life guide. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Tasty

o

Grainlady, Thank you for the helpful post (as always!)

Jessy, I will always see you sitting in front of your flame decorated washer, watching the laundry go 'round!

Katie, I added orange zest to my fudge; I picked a large orange so there would be plenty. (My motto is always to use real food.)

It was an instant hit, as I suspect it would be. I offered to share the recipe, and the recipient didn't want it, thinking it was far more complicated than it really is. Since I didn't add the pecans, when I told her it was 3 ingredients, she changed her mind.

Here's the recipe for those of you who asked. For those of you who try it, please let me know if you liked it!

CHOCOLATE ORANGE FUDGE

2-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounce)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
2 teaspoons orange zest

Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.

Melt chocolate chips with condensed milk in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and grated orange peel. Spread in prepared dish and chill until firm.

Carefully remove fudge from pan using the edges of the foil or waxed paper. Cut into squares.

Store covered in refrigerator.

o

Hey claire de luna!

Hubby - the man who's cooks very little (he had 4 older sisters and didn't get the opportunity) - just made a recipe of Chocolate Orange Fudge this afternoon and he put a copy of the recipe in his personal 3x5 card recipe file - what an honor.

I was telling him about the recipe and thought our granddaughter would go for it because she loves those foil wrapped chocolate oranges you rap on a hard surface to loosen each slice, and always gets one for Christmas each year. Anyway, I assured him it was something even HE could make (he's also famous for his microwave peanut brittle). He even made the sweetened condensed milk from powdered milk - look out world!

We added 1/8 t. of NOW Orange Extract (and I wouldn't use any more than that - it added just a tiny hint of orange like the chocolate oranges) along with 2 t. of European Orange Zest I get from King Arthur (love that stuff!!!). The next time I think we'll use milk chocolate chips and see which we like best, but I'm going to bet we like both, and we think our granddaughter may like the milk chocolate better.

He said to thank you for the recipe.

-Grainlady

o

Grainlady, Wow. Your post just made my day! I have to grin because the recipe is so simple I really didn't want to share it...this is the Cooking Forum after all! I'll have to give second thoughts now to sharing the really simple recipes (as long as they're good of course). I love milk chocolate myself, but it doesn't always go over well in my family as I think they have a bit of an allergic reaction (coughing) to it, so I have to stick with the darker version. I'm certain it will be good either way. Thanks so much for letting me know how it turned out for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here