Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spatzle won't release....

Posted by debrak2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 16:21

Making homemade spatzle for the first time. Of course it is not going well. I followed the attached recipe. I tried using a metal colandar and a plastic slotted spoon. In both cases the spatzle will not release. It just oozes through the holes/slots. I added more water to the dough as it says it should be a little runny and definitely is not runny. I followed the recipe exactly other than the extra water.

Frustrated I put the dough in the refrigerator for now.

Any ideas? I did try putting some olive oil on the colander and the spoon. It made no difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: germanfoods.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spatzle won't release....

Since I can't "see" your technique, I will just offer this information. It would be helpful to use a rubber spatula to kind of smear the dough over the holes, but not a large amount at one time. If the spaetzle don't drop by themselves, then slide a knife (doesn't need to be a sharp one) to cut them so they can drop.

o

I used my hand with a glove on it. It didn't even hang down from the spoon and it didn't even go through the holes of the colander. I ended up cutting it into chunks and putting those in the boiling water. I cooled them then fried them in butter once the weiner schnitzel was done (another dish I never made before but came out great).

The family loved the spatzle and the weiner schnitzel. Just need to work on the technique.

o

Have you looked into a few youtube videos?

dcarch

o

If you are using a colander, you need one with big holes. And you will need to use a knife to cut the batter off the bottom of the colander so that it falls into the water..

Your best bet is to purchase a spaetzle maker. Makes it easy to make Spaetzle. And they are not expensive.

Mine is like the one in the attached link.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Spaetzle Maker

o

Annt's link to the best spaetzle maker is the exact spaetzle maker I have. I've tried the colander method and it simple doesn't work. Go to BB&B and get a spaetzle maker. It's a world of difference.

My recipe:

Beat 2 eggs. Combine with 1 1/2 C. flour, 1/2 C. water, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. baking powder, and a dash of nutmeg.

Fill square of spaetzle maker and run back and forth over boiling water. I sauté' spaetzles in a little butter and garlic before serving.

o

I have that type, too, but what I keep meaning to try is cutting it off a board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaetzle

o

I'm sold on the spatzle maker ann_t posted but I would love to try the method posted by FOAS. I noticed how she actually dips the dough on the board in the boiling water. My dough was not wet enough.

o

Look on youtube at the guy making it with a ricer! I already have that tool! He also dips it into the boiling water now and then like the lady with the board does. Wetness must be the key.
Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaetzle with a Ricer

o

I tried that board method, and then I went out and bought a spaetzle maker.

This is the recipe I use.Sometimes i add parsley to the batter.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Spaetzle with Brown butter
==========================
Original Souce: http://teriskitchen.com/

INGREDIENTS
2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

Brown Butter

5 tablespoons butter
Additional salt and pepper to taste

Optional: Add chopped parsley to the dough.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and nutmeg. If using
Parsley add to dry ingredients. Add the eggs and milk; stir until
thoroughly combined. Let dough rest about 15 minutes before
cooking.
Heat a large pot of lightly salted water until boiling. Add the
spaetzle and cook until done, about 4 minutes. The dumplings will
float when done. Drain well. Brown the butter in a small saucepan
or skillet. Place the spaetzle in a serving dish and pour the
butter on top. Season with salt and pepper; toss well to combine.
Serve immediately.

o

nancedar, that rice looked easy to use but I just remembered that DH said he liked the irregular texture of the spatzle that I made last night. It looked like what ann posted above just larger and more irregular. Maybe I can buy a rice and a spatzle maker. I'm making a shopping list right now for a trip to bed bath and beyond today!

Ann, if you tried the board method and went right to the spatzle maker that tells me I should skip the board! Your spatzle looks wonderful and I will try your recipe.

o

I use Ann's recipe. The colander method never worked well for me either. For now I just take a large spoonful of the dough pinch off small portions with my fingers.

Will keep an eye out for a spaetzle maker, tho. Sounds way easier/faster!

Linda

o

Our family makes Knephla, a small dumpling similar to spaetzle. Some make the dough thick and cut them with a knife. But I prefer to make the dough thinner and use a spoon to scoop small pieces off to drop into boiling water. I actually dip the spoon into the water and the dough comes right off and keeps the next one from sticking. Yes, it takes a while to do it this way, but it works for me.

o

Mine's a flat collander with a scraper that sits on top of the pan of water. I use PER 1 egg : :100g flour and a little liquid. I do think it's one of those things that's so simple that there's a risk of over-thinking it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here