Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I freeze gingerbread men?

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 16:08

Grandkids want to come over next Sat. to bake & decorate gingerbread men but don't want to eat them until X'mas. Can I do this? Do I wrap them individually or just put them all in a bag/bowl to freeze?
Never did this before so I appreciate any kind of suggestions.
Thanks for your time and have a nice evening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I freeze gingerbread men?

My mother-in-law sends us gingerbread men every Christmas. Her recipe produces a soft, dense cookie. They're delicious & rich, so I can only eat one over the course of three or four days. I freeze the extras, and then bring them out later in the winter when we're dying for a special treat. She wraps them individually in plastic wrap and small freezer bags. I've never had a problem with freezing ruining their taste or texture.

o

Shambo, they sound wonderful...Do you have the recipe?

o

As a matter of fact, I do. She copied it for me several years ago. It must have come from one of the old Betty Crocker cookbooks. Directions for the gingerbread men follow the basic cookie recipe. She usually just uses raisins & cashew halves for decorations.

Gingies -- Key Recipe (Soft & puffy...true old-fashioned ginger cookies

Mix thoroughly:
1/3 cup soft shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1-1/2 cups dark molasses

Stir in:
1/3 cup cold water

Sift together and stir in:
6 cups sifted Gold Medal Flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon

Temperature: 350 degrees
Time: Bake about 15 min.
Amount: 2-2/3 doz. fat, puffy 2-1/2 inch cookies

Directions:
Chill dough. Roll out very thick (1/2 inch). Cut with 2-1/2 inch round cutter. Place far apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until, when touched lightly with finger, no imprint remains.

GINGERBREAD BOYS

Follow key recipe above, except mix in 1 more cup sifted Gold Medal Flour. Chill dough. Roll out very thick (1/2 inch). Grease a cardboard gingerbread boy pattern, place on the dough, and cut around it with a sharp knife. Or use a gingerbread boy cuter. With a pancake turner, carefully transfer gingerbread boys to lightly greased baking sheet. Press raisins into dough for eyes, nose, & mouth. (Candied cherries, gumdrops, nuts, etc. can also be used.) Bake. Cool slightly, then carefully remove from baking sheet. Decorating icing can be added.

Amount: About 12 gingerbread boys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here