Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheesecake topping questions

Posted by kitchendetective (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 16:01

This is the cheesecake I make every Thanksgiving. DS2 would like the same cake, but with different berry toppings for Christmas. I have no more home-canned berries left. Can I use frozen berries for some sort of topping? Suggestions for topping recipes? I made a cheesecake with three different berry toppings many years ago, but I was able to use fresh berries as it was in the summer. I really would prefer not to go on another long-distance market excursion before Tuesday. I am extremely burned out this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foolproof recipe for pretty cheesecake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheesecake topping questions

Darn I thought I had a picture...

This is the fruit topping I use for my Cheesecake Supreme. It makes a beautiful , and tasty, presentation

Fruit and Glaze.

Arrange 4 or 5 canned apricot halves around centre of cake(reserve juice). Circle the apricots with canned pineapple wedges, (4 rings
quartered) reserve juice. Alternate fresh strawberry halves and green
grapes to form outer circle. Mound about 1/3 cup blueberries in the
very centre , inside the ring of apricots.

To make glaze combine the apricot and pineapple syrups to make 3/4 of a
cup. Add 1 TBSP of lemon juice. Combine 1 TBSP cornstarch with 2 TBSP
cold water. Add to juices and cook stirring until thickened. Add a drop
of yellow food colouring if desired. Spoon over fruit.

o

I'm a purist. Good cheesecake needs no topping, LOL.

A little chocolate is the only topping I will tolerate : )

o

I really didn't want to venture out for fresh berries either, so I am thinking about using frozen mango in a simple syrup for my cheesecake topping. It's the first time I bought frozen mango, so I can't vouch for the idea. I'm planning on doing a practice batch tomorrow, so I'll still have time to get berries if it's a fail. I have a bag of Mango in the freezer, and here's a recipe. I have one fresh mango to dice and add to the puree before serving. I would serve this on the side:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup water
2 large mangoes, peeled and sliced

Combine sugar, lime juice and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil just long enough to dissolve sugar, then place in a blender with mango and puree. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I've also attached a link to recipe that is pureed until smooth, and goes on the cheesecake like a glaze.

If it's an epic fail, it will be me and a bowl of vanilla ice cream with mango topping for a 2am snack.

Thanks for the cheesecake recipe, it looks wonderful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Glaze

o

I agree, nothing like plain unadulterated cheesecake, but I have also used these two toppings on different occasions.

Pineapple Glaze

1 can 13 0z. frozen pineapple thawed (i also use regular canned pineapple in natural juices…crushed or tidbits)
1 T. cornstarch, 1 T. lemon juice

Heat pineapple, cornstarch and lemon juice. Cook until thickened. Chill

Raspberry sauce:

2 10 oz. pkg. raspberries, thawed
1 10 0z. jar current jelly
2 T. cornstarch

Combine and cook and stir till bubbly. Cook 1 minute more. Strain and chill

The pineapple is particularly good and different.

o

Thank you, folks. I do not have ingredients on hand for most of these, although I shall save the thread for future reference. I do have frozen berries, though. I am concerned about the moisture content once they thaw. Would I thaw, then strain before making georgysmom's raspberry sauce, or just use thawed, not drained, frozen raspberries, and wait until later to strain?

Chase--How artistic! Like a fruit tarte.

I do love mango, alas, none of these on hand either.

You've all given me a great excuse to make more cheesecakes.

o

Yes,you can never have enough cheesecakes. Bake lots and send any extras to your GW friends. I haven't made cheesecake in years and you are inspiring me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here