Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagne Sheets vs Noodles

Posted by debrak2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 16:01

I didn't want to hijack the other lasagne thread with this. I noticed that many on that thread said they use sheets.

Lasagne sheets vs noodles.

I have never used or even seen lasagne sheets. I looked on line and my local grocery store has them but they look more like the size of noodles maybe a little larger.

So why sheets instead of noodles? Is the size more convenient? How big are the sheets you use? Where to you buy them?

All comments on any type of lasagne pasta are welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagne Sheets vs Noodles

I use nothing else but....they are so tender and require no boiling whatsover

The sheets are sheets of "fresh" pasta that has not been dried. I say "fresh" because they are commercially prepared and have a shelf life of about 2 weeks.

The ones I buy are about 5" X 7" and are easily cut to fit any size pan.. I find mine near the deli section with other "fresh pastas" such as tortellini.

I don't recall the brand name but will do some digging.

o

I wish I could find them, I've only seen them a few times in the local grocery store. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Nothing beats good, fresh pasta, that I don't have to make.

The dry stuff doesn't compare.

o

So sheets means fresh not size?

o

Sheets because I make homemade lasagna pasta and sheets are what gets spit out of the Atlas pasta roller. Need a couple of the sheets laid side by side per layer because they're not wide enough for the dish.

Fresh lasagna pasta is soooo much better than the dried noodles. It's only a bit more trouble to make your own. (I use the pasta setting on my breadmaker to mix and then the Atlas to roll the pasta.) And you're not limited to just what the store has...you can add herbs, garlic, use whole wheat flour...to amp up plain old pasta.

o

Debra - I think there's some confusion here. Could you explain what you mean by sheets and noodles? What most people use is dry pasta that looks something like this, slight differences depending on brand and whether or not it's "oven ready"

o

I make my own with my pasta machine.

I sometimes use egg roll skins. They are fresh.

dcarch

o

There are dried, no boil sheets that might be what you are talking about. Approximately 3" x 6" and are thin and not ridged like dried Boil sheets. Lots of different brands but I know I can get Barilla at Wal Mart here.
Generally, you have to use more sauce, but not gobs and some cooks don't like the texture although I recently had a fabulous lasagna that used them and will use them next time.

They don't make a mile high lasagna. The overall appearance is rather flat because the sauce needs to be abundant.

o

Is it a 'vs'?. The sheet IS the noodle. Or often used either/or. One builds their lasagna with sheets or noodles. A big sheet of pasta, say, in a factory setting can be 3ft wide. A sheet.
Cut into smaller sheets, or thin strips, (noodles). Depending on width, have different names just to give a way to communicate the size.
Once built, and now has become the dish we call 'lasagna', i call them noodles.
"Oh, that is not a slice of eggplant...that is a bit of noodle". I would not say, "...that is a bit of sheet". Or a bit of pasta since all of it, any shape or form, is 'pasta'.

But i think you are referring to the thick dried ones with the curly edges as 'noodles'.
3-4inches wide that need to be boiled, then they stick together, the 'noodles', lol.
A mess to work with. Becomes such a pain of a process.
I like the cheap Barilla no-bake sheets. they are thin and i use them for the fall harvest lasagna to absorb all the veggie moisture while cooking. It is mile-high and keeps its shape. I have enough to do during that time of year and need to be speedy.

DH makes fresh pasta. Takes a bit more time but still quite easy. That fresh style lasagna, more like i've had in Italy, is best for the single servings, light tomato sauce, bechamel, maybe spinach, proscuitto...best baked and eaten that evening. Never mile-high and cut into thick squares. I find fresh made sheets/noodles do not hold up well to a do-ahead lasagna. And does not freeze as well. Tends to go very soft and loose the pasta semi-firm texture. By far superior to the big family style baked lasagna i make in the roasting pan that serves 20-25.
-The fresh sheets are as important as the ingredients.
-The dried sheets in any form are just a background structure assisting the build. Less important to the overall dish. With a heavier meat ragu, and lots of cheese, they tend to just be a background element. Seems a personal preference. The thicker style 3-4 inch 'noodles' with the curly edges or the thin style wider 5-6 inch 'sheets'.

If i 'google image' pasta sheets, i get the boxes and fresh...used for lasagna and ravioli and rolled type dishes...
(look again in your grocery for the boxes or the freezer section for the fresh/frozen)
Google image lasagna noodles and mostly get the curly edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: pasta sheets

o

I par boil the oven readies. Put a can of veggie cream soup in the bottom of a pan. noodles. a layer of pre-cooked cubed butternut squash ... alfredo sauce... sprinkle of cheese ... noodles .... layer of fresh/frozen spinach with onions .... sauce and cheese ... noodles ... squash and sauce and cheese. Throw in a little (cooked and crumbled) italian sausage with the squash for variety.

dkB

Cook a batch. Cut into squares after cool. Fridge the squares. Great nuked in the micro for a quick meal the rest of the week.

cardiologists dream ... but tasty

dave

o

Here is a good recipe i've made for family. It is a less high style, cooks quicker, more even, and easy to make in half sheet pans. I made one vegetarian and the other had a prosciutto layer under the cheese. Both had a thin mandolined sweet potato base, then a zucchini layer. I had to use the Barilla sheets, just two layers. (small MIL kitchen and no time). Used ricotta.
Made the sauce, spinach mixture, and grated the cheeses the night before.
No leftovers though with two teenage boy nephews...and they invited friends without telling me... (I like to freeze single servings of every meal for my MIL.) Should have made a third pan....MIL was pissed, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetarian spinach lasagna

o

yea I'm very confused by the terms. Some people refer to the pasta as noodles and some as sheets in this thread and others. Some seem (maybe I'm wrong) to be refered to the size and others as to being fresh. I don't understand the difference.

Our local store has fresh pasta they call "sheets" but seem to be the same size as the dried "noodles" they also sell.

I've read and will reread all those posts but I'm more confused then ever.

o

I've always read sheets and noodles as the same. The distinction for me comes in with the dried or fresh terms. I wish I could find fresh sheets/noodles around here. I have come to rely on the dried, no-bake sheets/noodles for all of my lasagne needs. Love those for ease of prep.

I've asked for a pasta roller now for years without success around holidays and birthdays. DH talked me into selling the one I had from my first (and extremely brief) marriage at a garage sale one day since I had never used it. I was young, worked very long hours, didn't cook as much, and figured I could always get another one easily if I ever wanted to make my own pasta. I didn't realize how expensive they are so here I sit without one.

o

Noodles and pasta are interchangeable terms in this discussion.

Sheets refers to the size.

Dried lasagna noodles (pasta) both the boil and no boil come in strips about 3" wide and maybe 7" or so inches long. Usually , but not always, they have a bit of curl to the edge and are brittle.

The fresh pasta is in sheets about 5" wide and 7" long. They are some what pliable and require refrigeration. They have not been dried to the brittle stage.

regular dried lasagna noodles (pasta) can be found with all the other boxed pastas.

The fresh sheets are usually refrigerated in the deli section perhaps where the ready made fresh pizzas and pizza ingredients like dough and pepperoni are.

Hope that helps.

o

So a sheet is larger than a noodle whether dried or fresh?

o

Yes a sheet is larger than a noodle.

I have never seem a dried sheet , only fresh...and I've never seen a fresh noodle , only dried.

Sheets = larger and fresh

Noodles = smaller and dried.

o

Yes. I grew up in a city that was predominantly Italian, and you didn't call pasta noodles. That meant egg noodles. So I called them sheets on that thread. Barilla Oven Ready lasagna is tender like homemade pasta.

o

chase, thank you I think I finally got it!

I also suspected that some of these terms may be regional.

o

Right. In upstate NY, we just called them lasagna. But in that thread, I referred to the Barilla Oven Ready Lasagna and didn't want the OP to think I meant a ready-made lasagna, so I added sheets to be clear.

o

Breezygirl, Sur la Table currently sells the Atlas Marcato Pasta Machine (150mm) for $79.95. I ordered one in red a couple weeks ago, haven't received it yet. I found a coupon for 15% off at one of the online coupon sites, so it came to around $67, and free shipping because it was over $59. So not too bad for a tool you will likely use for many years.

o

3/20/14-I saw a recipe for Swallow's Nest. It called for fresh Lasagna sheets. My grocer, Publix, has never heard of them. It looks like it is something that is hard to find. In reading the comments I see where someone said find them in the deli where the pizza dough is. My question is. wonder if I could use the pizza dough instead???

o

In our grocery stores, pasta sheets are in the refrigerated foods section with "fresh" ravioli, tortellini, and a selection of sauces like Alfredo in plastic containers.

Pizza dough is a different animal.

o

As Ruthanna stated, pizza dough is completely different. It has yeast and pasta doesn't. You'd have some weird, thick layers between the sauce!

Making lasagna sheets by hand would be possible. Just roll the pasta dough VERY thin.

My grandparents gave me their pasta roller and I used it for the first time yesterday. Fresh pasta is a revelation.

o

Pizza dough generally has no eggs.

Pizza dough is too stretchy.

dcarch

o

Florida254, the packaged 'fresh' pasta at my Publix (a smaller Publix) is near the chilled beer.

Buitoni is the brand they have the most of. Don't think they have Lasagna noodles/sheets. They do have angel hair and other cut pastas.

You could probably cook some dried lasagna noodles and use those for your recipe.

ML

o

The recipe I am trying to make calls for a fresh lasagna sheet. It gets rolled out to about 14″x21 size and you put ham and cheese on top of it and roll it up like a jelly roll. So as you can see noodles or strips don't do the job. There is a recipe for making your own. But the recipe said you could buy them. I have tried to contact the author of the recipe to get a brand name with no success. Thanks for all your help. I may have to tackle to homemade ones.

o

Call around to other stores. Maybe ask again at Publix. Sometimes you get a worker who doesn't know so they just say they don't have it.

At Wegmans in our area you find it by the cheese/yogurt/butter area. Its in a refrigerated case.

I never have purchased the lasagne sheets but I did end up buying fresh tortellini and it was great.

o

I think I looked in that area. Around the refrigerated biscuits, crescents etc. But sometimes I look straight at something and don't see it (duh). I will look again. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here