Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What sides with Prime Rib?

Posted by cathyid (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 15:29

I really feel like changing things up this year. I want to keep the prime, but am tired of the same old sides. What do you serve with yours? I don't dare change Thanksgiving or I would have a rebellion, but Christmas is a different story, as long as I keep the rib roast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What sides with Prime Rib?

cheesy twice baked potatoes and asparagus spears

o

We go fattening ..and rich...

LOL
garlic mashed red potatoes..skins on (cooked with garlic cloves that get mashed up with the drained potatoes) then add in some sour cream and parm.

Cauliflower, broccoli or spinach gratin.

Whatever sounds good at the time.
Sometimes instead of the potatoes we do mac n cheese.

o

Fork on one side, knife on the other.......

DARFC

anon

o

We like to do stuffed mushrooms and spinach gratin.
Kim

o

Yorkshire pudding , hands down!

o

Got to agree with Sharon. Yorkshire PUddings are a 'must have' with a Prime rib dinner. Other than that, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes, peas, or green beans, glazed carrots for those that like carrots, cauliflower gratin, broccoli, squash, etc... And I have to have hot horseradish. Not the creamed kind.

Ann

o

One more vote for Yorkshire Pudding!

I think creamed spinach is a traditional side at steak houses. I'd probably prefer a spinach gratin or a souffle. But the souffle and the YP are too similar in consistency. So, you can't do both.

o

Keep it simple. The beef is the star of the show and is prepared in a simple style. To me, a starch (e.g. potato or pudds) and a green vegetable (e.g. spinach or broccoli) would be good sides. Excellent preparation is the important thing, not complexity of the recipe. A sauce or gravy on one of the sides would be OK.

BTW, I normally would not favor broccoli but I like something green on the plate and, with prime rib, its hearty substance would fit nicely.

Jim

o

Ann T, I've said it before, but we could eat together easily!

I read the title, turned around to Elery and said "Yorkshire Pudding and roasted potatoes, maybe some butternut squash.

Give me that center slice, extremely rare!

Annie

o

Another vote for yorkshire pudding here! Something I had never had until finding this forum. We start out with a ceasar salad,Sharon's roasted red pepper soup or roasted garlic soup. Sides are potates of some sort and a green veggie..asparagus with hollandaise or bacon wrapped roasted grean beans. Did roasted butternut sqaush one time too. Just did this last Saturday....yum...added some king crab legs at the request of my nephew.

David

o

Please don't shoot me but is Yorkshire pudding like a bread pudding? I've never eaten it. So if it is starchy do you really serve potatoes with it also? I would think that the pudding is the side along with some vegetables if I am thinking right.

o

Not like a bread pudding in my experience it's quite like your popovers but better in my mind.

And yes you still have potatoes, mashed would be my choice with a wonderful gravy.

I can't even imagine an prime rib without , Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes and gravy...throw in any green veg asparagus or broccoli and you have THE perfect meal....IMHO...and I don't care much for beef!

o

Thanks Chase for explaining that to me. Around here Prime Rib is served with either mashed potatoes/gravy or baked potato along with vegetables and that is it (on the plate). You get a dinner salad/house salad too along with dinner rolls/butter.

o

Yes, Yorkshire pudding is a natural. I have been having roasted asparagas or steamed brocoli. I got the old eyeball roll, when I mentioned to DH, that I was thinking about some new sides. His answer was "anything you want as long as it includes potatoes and gravy." So, I guess that answers that, but I am still going to think out the change of veggies, at least. Thanks for your responses.

o

Along with the prime rib, we usually have rice (I'm Asian), green salad, brussel sprouts with prosciutto, and a horseradish carrot casserole.

o

With mine I am having yorkshire pudding, parmesan layered potatoes, and roasted asparagus. That is it except for the red velvet cake for dessert.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Parmesan Layered Potatoes

Recipe By : Gourmet
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 T unsalted butter - melted
1 T olive oil
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
3/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat middle oven rack to 450.
Stir together oil and butter in cup.

Thinly slice potatoes and toss with 2 T salt and pepper and butter mixture

Heat remaining butter mixture in 10-inch iron skillet over mod. high heat. Spread
1/3 of potatoes evenly

in skillet. Toss remaining potatoes with Parmesan cheese and spread evenly over other layer in skillet, pressing with spatula. Cook three minutes, then transfer skillet to oven and roast, uncovered, pressing top occasionally with spatula, until potatoes are tender and top is
starting to brown, 20 - 25 minutes.

Invert potato cake onto cutting board and cut into wedges

o

For many years there was a restaurant in downtown Chicago that was known for their prime rib. I loved it and was sad to hear they closed.

Lawry's, owned by the seasoning company of the same name. The choice in a vegetable was either Creamed Corn or Creamed Spinach, both equally wonderful.

Here's their recipes:

CREAMED CORN

1 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons flour
teaspoon salt
1 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups fresh, frozen or canned whole kernel corn

Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add flour and salt, stirring to blend. Slowly add whipping cream, stirring constantly until thickened. Add sugar and corn, heat. For Au Gratin, place corn in a 9 or 10 inch shallow casserole dish; sprinkle with cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and brown under broiler.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely and set aside. Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop. Saut onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and pepper and blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add spinach and bacon; heat.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Nancy

o

We usually have garlic/rosemary roasted potatoes, creamed spinach, popovers (w/lots of butter) and horseradish sauce, occasionaly sauteed mushrooms & onions.

o

Cathy, hubby and I discussed what HE wanted to go with HIS Prime Rib lastnight...
Here's my notes from our conversation...
small honey wheat rolls knotted...(he wants them in a knot, and if I can't do it, he'll help me) LOL (I've tried to "knot" them, they fluff up to much.)
potatoes au gratin, with "white" potatoes those Idaho ones. LOL ( like different potatoes, I've been getting them from a local farm..right now I have Mountain Rose(red skinned with rose flesh), a pink fingerling and a blue, plus German Butterball~yellow)
sauted spinach or a spinach salad with ranch or thousand island(gag on the dressing choices..I'll have mine with a hot bacon)
broccoli
kentucky chocolate pecan pie (tried it at Thanksgiving and he's hooked!)
and some kind of cake...maybe carrot he said..really moist, and with tangy cream cheese frosting..

o

That creamed corn sounds good. May give that a try. Terri, we just MIGHT, have some of those Idaho kind of potatoes laying around here. LOL The chocolate peacn pie sounds yummy. Is there bourbon in it to call it Kentucky? Mid sharing the recipe? Thanks for the creamed corn recipe, Nancy.

o

Posted by Becky Ca
I didn't make the whipped cream either..well I did but just plain. LOL

Kentucky Chocolate - Pecan Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 9 inch pie shell -- unbaked
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter -- melted (1 stick/4
ounces)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Spread chopped nuts over the bottom of the prepared (unbaked) pie shell; sprinkle with chocolate morsels. In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in sugars, flour, salt, vanilla, and butter. Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips. Bake in a 325 oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

Bourbon Whipped Cream

1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon good bourbon (or 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring)

For best results, chill bowl and beaters. Beat cream until thickened; add sugar and flavoring, then beat until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Source:
"http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa042002a.htm"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Add a tablespoon of bourbon or a teaspoon of rum flavoring to this pie for a more "spirited" flavor.

Made 12-31-07 Very good, very rich. Didn't bother with the flavored whipped cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the pecan pie thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here