Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hazelnuts

Posted by bcskye (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 15:27

Has anyone else had trouble finding shelled hazelnuts? I've found them everywhere in the in-shell nut mixes. I'd feel kind of funny standing at one of those bins picking out only the hazelnuts, but I may have to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hazelnuts

Have not looked recently....but last I looked Trader Joe carried them...
None to be had in this town either!

o

I was looking for something else in one of my kitchen drawers and found a bag of them in the shell that dated back to 2008. I'm so bad! The only Trader Joe's that I know of is about an hour and a half from me. Guess I need to call them to see if they have any. I know the last time I was in there they said I could let them know if there was something that they were out of and when they got it back in stock, they'd hold it back for me. Guess I'll have to do that.

o

I tried to find them at my local Kroger and was told they did not get them because the price had skyrocketed. I found a small bag in the back of my freezer! Probably from last Christmas. They were fine in the cookies I made.

Whistle

o

I don't know if you've ever tried this website, but I've ordered from them before because they were the only place I could find organic shelled pistachios (unsalted) for a biscotti I make at Christmas. I've linked to the organic page but they have regular, too. Our farmer's market has locally grown shelled organic hazelnuts, so I haven't bought them from nutsonline. The pistachios were wonderful and fresh as can be.

A bonus was having a cardboard box with nutsonline printed on it, which I used to wrap a gift for my friend whose career is involved in social media.

Here is a link that might be useful: nutsonline

o

I agree with Oly, Nutsonline is great! Expensive, but worth it. Try their chocolate covered anything. It's good chocolate and they don't skimp.

Nutsonline hazelnuts

o

Here's another option!
This is a local, family run operation here in Oregon.
Extremely nice people. Their prices are always reasonable (not cheap, but reasonable).
They used to be just about 8 miles from me, but purchased a somewhat larger farm that had been in the family and moved 45 minutes away. Very good quality and service.
It's fun to stop in, tour the factory and have an ice cream cone!

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Hazelnut Hill

o

Thanks everyone. dgkritch, we'll be up in Bend, Oregon after the snow goes away and will be there while our motorhome that I sort of tore up a bit is repaired. We planned on doing some sightseeing so I'll just have to get a trip to Hazelnut Hill and a tour worked in.

o

Shoot me an email bcskye!
If you make it "over the hill" into the valley, maybe we can meet somewhere!! I can take time off with fairly short notice and have weekends off!
I grew up in Redmond and my brother still lives there.

FYI...Hazelnut Hill is closed on Sundays.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here