Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut Out Cookies Made Easy(er)

Posted by tobyt (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 15:10

I shared this tip last year, but I think it was after Christmas. It is literally the best baking tip I have ever found, so thought I would share again now that we are hot and heavy into the Christmas baking season. I think it came from the Cake Central website.
When you are making cut out cookies that require you to refrigerate the dough before rolling it out, roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment or wax paper before you put it in the fridge. The soft dough rolls much easier and never cracks. Once you have your sheets of dough rolled out, stack them on a cookie sheet and refrigerate until they are firmed up.
I took it one step further, and had my husband cut me strips of wood about 18" long, 1" wide and 1/4" thick. He also made me a set in 1/8" thickness. I lay these on either side of the dough and run the rolling pin over them, giving me perfectly consistent thickness.
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut Out Cookies Made Easy(er)

Thank you for this!! I can't wait to try it.

o

Two good tips.
I saw this tip on a tv show recently- place the dough on your cookie sheet then cut the shapes and pull the excess dough away. Then you won't mangle the cookies trying to transfer them to the cookie sheet (something I always manage to do).

Di

o

Great tips Jane and Di.
Saw Martha Stewart (I know I know must of you dont like her at all, but she does have a few good tips, that I didnt know)
on the Early Show this morning and she used and Off Set Icing Spatula to pick up the cut out cookies.

Anytime someone shares a baking tip, I am a happy baker :)

o

Hmmmm, I never thought of placing the dough on the cookie sheet before cutting the shapes. That's pretty interesting. I'll have to give it a try to see how it works, thanks for that tip Di. I've have been rolling out doughs and stacking them between parchment paper for some time now, thanks for refreshing the tip for newbies, Jane. Happy baking everyone! NancyLouise

o

Jane, you and your DH are ahead of your time. I just received an email from BH&G today offering the strips for sale. Put them on my wish list, in case I ever make cutout cookies again.:-)

jude

o

Here's another alternative that I like. I have to fend for myself. My husband isn't handy. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silicone Rolling Pin Spacer Bands

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here