Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hits of 2011

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 15:05

What were your Hits for the year?

I discovered a sweet cornbread recipe I really like; so much so that I've been making it once a week. (I also like the savory version, so this isn't meant to prompt debate!) I'm certain there have been others, although I need to give it some thought. Another thing I found which I've been using a lot is some fold-up bakeware called FoldTuk. (I'm amazed at how well it browns, unlike silicone bakeware which I kind of despise.) I especially like that it doesn't take up much space to store.

So...What were your hits?

Best Buttermilk Cornbread
From All Recipes

1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 t. baking soda
1 cup corn flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan or a 4x6 inch loaf pan.

Melt the butter; stir into the sugar. Add eggs and mix together until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda in a batter bowl; add the butter and egg mixture. Stir in the corn flour, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: FoldTuk Bakeware

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hits of 2011

Ruthanna's Tomato Pudding

Milk & Honey Bread from The Tasty Kitchen (Pioneer Woman)

Moroccan Chicken found on food.com

Asian Cabbage Salad with Chicken, re-discovered

Amish Friendship Bread starter and bread recipes on the FriendshipBreadKitchen.com

and last, but not least, coming up with a "standard" recipe for chili that I can repeat again and again and now it is written in one of my recipe collections.

Teresa

o
And let's not forget

the many recipes I have made from Sue's Greek Cooking DVDs - I've had such a good time viewing those and trying my hand at them too!

Thank you, Sue!

o

Most definitely homemade sour cream pancakes! We can't get over how delicious they are.

Pasta Puttanesca. I'm pretty sure it's Sharon's recipe.

o

Apple Cider Pound Cake....from our local Freecycle food post.
Best cake I ever tasted.
Apple Cider Pound Cake

* 3 cups sugar
* 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
* 6 eggs
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 cup apple cider
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* ICING:
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 1/4 cup buttermilk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon baking sodaDirections
* In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together all dry
ingredients; set aside. Combine cider and vanilla. Add dry ingredients
alternately with cider mixture to batter. Mix until well blended. Spoon into a
greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan.

* Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
center comes out clean.

* Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While cake is warm, drizzle half of icing over
cake. Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings if desired.

o

Teresa, thanks for the compliment. I'm so happy to hear that you not only tried some of the recipes but enjoyed them too. Nothing fancy, just simple Greek peasant food. Literally the food I grew up eating.

o

Crispy Beijing roast duck. Been eating this all my life, finally learned to make it.

Started learning some Indian dishes, various yoghurt-braised meats with interesting spices.

Developed some rudimentary facility with bread. I can make a basic French and ciabatta. That's about as much bread skill as my waistline wants me to have. I'd like to learn a sourdough, but keeping the starter going may be more trouble than I can hack.

Figured out the secret to roast unagi! (Buy it pre-roasted.)

Thanks to CF, my son gets his spicy salsa fresca and Daddy's a hero.

Made a taco meal with pan-fried corn tortillas, family insists that this get into the regular lineup now.

Goals for 2012: get better at making interesting vegetable dishes, learn more fish (maybe I need to actually read my Peterson cookbook), become a bona fide bento apprentice, learn really authentic Mexican food (not rice stuffed monster greasy American-style burritos, but rather the fresh, spicy, seafood-heavy stuff I used to eat in remote fishing villages deep in Baja).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here